New plan...time to see some movement!

Comments

• Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Enjoy the smirnoff! Booze always seems too extravagant so enjoy a free glass! Or two xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Kitten868 wrote: »
    And swoop, I'm here! Love the new diary and the new agenda. I wrote an epic post the other day but it's disappeared. Very frustrating.

"windows, doors, electrics, plumbing, kitchen, bathroom, carpets, decorating etc. Even our cooker is 40 years old!"

My best advice is list it out with prices and then it seems more achievable and you know what you can tick off. You will be restricted as obviously electrics comes before carpet etc but you know that. My experience is the best price you'll get for windows is £300 each with fitting so you can work out a ball park of the cost and know if the price sounds right. DO NOT CALL ANGLIAN, SAFE STYLE, etc. They will hound you until the end of time - they are worse than creditors for calling you - and they are too expensive for being not great. And work out your openings before the appointment - I had to do it as we went round. I'm still astounded by how much difference our windows made. You could hear and feel the wind outside. Now when I shut the windows it's so quiet!
    We are pretty much done upstairs and now are working through downstairs little bits as we go - like not even the whole kitchen, just bits as we can. There's always so much still to do but the list is shrinking.
    Oh and I've heard great things about the carpet and underlay on eBay if you're up for fitting it yourself.

Keep going jwil! Xxx
    Enjoy the smirnoff! Booze always seems too extravagant so enjoy a free glass! Or two xxx

Thank you :) Great advice :) We've got a local window fitter which we used for the patio doors which were broken when we moved in, so will probably go with them. That's handy to know the rough prices for the windows so thank you! The frames are rotten in their room so I want that done.

I'm not particularly handy at all, so there's no chance we'll be fitting carpets ourselves :rotfl: I detest the loud 70s carpets that we've got, but they are fantastic quality and have lasted well!

I didn't have the drink, I just don't ever fancy it any more. Maybe I should just pour it down the sink :rotfl:
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • jwil
    It's blooming cold here today! Wet and miserable. I've cracked out the jumper and slippers :D Trying to refrain from putting the heating on by cooking.

I've been doing some listing this morning. DH is trying to boot me off the computer so he can prep some listings.

Looks like we are going to have a good weekend for sales :T :T

DH and little jwil did ok at the boot sale yesterday. Sadly didn't manage to sell any of the bulky stuff, but lots of little bits went.
  • Lonire
    Lonire Posts: 64 Forumite
    Lovely new diary! Had myself organising food tins and cooking from cupboards :) didn’t know how much was in there!
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Anything I can help with let me know. I always find no one is ever up front about costs... until after you've done it and then they're in hysterics about how much you overpaid. I also have a friend who totally did up his house by himself but when we ask for advice he goes on to confess that he paid some one to do that bit... not that he'll tell you how much it cost. Makes me all the more proud we put up the RSJ up and knocked the wall down ourselves. Do consider doing some yourselves though as there's people on the bargain Facebook pages doing carpet for bedrooms for £50. It's mad how much cheaper it is.
    Annoying about the big stuff not selling... Maybe it all has to stay in the car so he'll take it again soon xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • jwil
    Lonire wrote: »
    Lovely new diary! Had myself organising food tins and cooking from cupboards :) didn’t know how much was in there!

Aww thanks for popping in :) Well done on sorting the cupboards. I realised that I obviously have a 'thing' for tins of sweetcorn :o Good job me and the kids both like it :rotfl:

I'm trying to work my way through what's in the cupboards and freezers so I can use up all the stuff lurking in the back and I can refresh it with new stuff that is organised well!
  • jwil
    Anything I can help with let me know. I always find no one is ever up front about costs... until after you've done it and then they're in hysterics about how much you overpaid. I also have a friend who totally did up his house by himself but when we ask for advice he goes on to confess that he paid some one to do that bit... not that he'll tell you how much it cost. Makes me all the more proud we put up the RSJ up and knocked the wall down ourselves. Do consider doing some yourselves though as there's people on the bargain Facebook pages doing carpet for bedrooms for £50. It's mad how much cheaper it is.
    Annoying about the big stuff not selling... Maybe it all has to stay in the car so he'll take it again soon xxx

Thank you. I will bear that in mind. I'm definitely of the ilk where I'd pay someone to do it rather than do it myself, but am happy to look for independents rather than go to the big sheds. I have a distant relative who is a carpet fitter, but I'd be too embarrassed to let them in the house :o

Most of the bulky stuff has remained in the van. We'll take it all again next time.
  • jwil
    We've had a busy afternoon. DH decided to move some furniture about so we had to pull a lot of stuff out. We've got another lot to be added to the car boot pile, the kids have a bit more space and we've got a bit of light back :T :T
  • jwil
    DH sold 37 items tonight _pale_ I sold 9, and I've already packed another 5 this weekend.

All that packing :eek: :eek: :eek:

However, all that decluttering :T :T :T
  • And all that lovely income
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure