MSE News: Octopus Energy to take on Iresa's 90,000 customers - here's what you need to know

MSE_Andrew
MSE_Andrew Posts: 173
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
MSE Staff
Customers of gas and electricity provider Iresa, which ceased trading last week, are to be taken on by Octopus Energy...
Read the full story:
'Octopus Energy to take on Iresa's 90,000 customers - here's what you need to know'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,642
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2018 at 5:25PM
    +2.5p/kWh, +1p/day = +£77. Daughter +3.1p, +1p = +£248 :eek: . Both electric only, won't be staying there long !
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Definitely won't be staying £55 a year more just for electric and extremely low user. Much better deals out there can't believe they are wanting us to stay for 2 weeks before even thinking about switching
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,583
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's gonna cost me £200 a year more (leccy only) so I'll be swapping ASAP
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • SuiDreams
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2018 at 5:51PM
    matelodave wrote: »
    It's gonna cost me £200 a year more (leccy only) so I'll be swapping ASAP

Are you going to wait the 2 weeks for your account to be set up as recommended or start the switch immediately. Having to wait 2 weeks before applying seems ridiculous.

The 2 cheapest suppliers for me again are new very small suppliers so not sure if I should take another gamble or not. Cheapest deals are Enstroga and utility point, then Ebico.

Annoyingly never had an issue with Iresa, but doesn't take much to push these companies out of business.

Glad I have my Gas elsewhere though.
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 902
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Here is a question, if someone ex Iresa,has a fairly big credit ,how long will they have to wait to get it back if they switch away from Octopus?
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,044
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2018 at 6:17PM
    Awesome, so that's another approx £100 a year for me on their 'cheapest tariff' (apparently - the fix is cheaper than their variable it seems too).
    Wonder what I'd be getting for the extra £100 expenditure?
    Brighter light from my bulbs?
    Better showering experience?
    Is it gold plated electricity?
    Do I get a welcoming bouquet of flowers or chocolates?
    Is it truly unlimited? Even at peak times?
    Better sound from my TV?
    Or get my potentially one or two phone calls I make in a year about my electricity answered in a minute or so?
    Or is it helping feed a directors bonus somewhere?

I think I'll be switching... just hoping I get the same easy life as I did with Iresa
    Outfox the Market is showing as £24 cheaper than Iresa anyway so might look the best option for me. Thankfully it's only electric I had with them anyway.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,044
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    Annoyingly never had an issue with Iresa, but doesn't take much to push these companies out of business.

It is unfortunate for them, major companies like Scottish Power and NPower have had major customer affecting issues with Ofgen investigations but they pull through. Small companies I guess just don't have that strength much of the time. I mean it was dirt cheap so you can't expect amazing customer service for paying so much less, they had to cut costs somewhere - I guess it was that side of things.
  • SuiDreams
    Forumite
    martyp wrote: »
    It is unfortunate for them, major companies like Scottish Power and NPower have had major customer affecting issues with Ofgen investigations but they pull through. Small companies I guess just don't have that strength much of the time. I mean it was dirt cheap so you can't expect amazing customer service for paying so much less, they had to cut costs somewhere - I guess it was that side of things.

It is unfair, people seem to panic about being on hold for half an hour with a small company yet put up with much longer wait times with the big 6. I transferred to them in November and haven't had to contact them. Had to contact big 6 much more often when with them.

Is outfox not on cheap energy club? Didn't come up when I did a search.
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 902
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you have a phone that can take Apps,Pure Planet are very reasonable, Gas:2.762p per kwh,Electric:11.52p per kwh
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,583
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not sure that anyone wanted amazing customer service - all they had to do was get it right first time and no one would need to use customer service and they wouldn't have got themselves where they are.

I've been sending in my readings and they've been using their own estimates (which are actually lower) - dunno why. I've let them get on with it and they think I'm £250 in credit when I'm actually (at this moment) £24.33 in debit.

I've just sent them another reading and I shall stop my DD. They can send me a bill for the outstanding amount which I'll be more than happy to pay.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport