20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Comments

• Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi DIA - just stopping by to say hello! (Previously JoJoC here).

You're going great guns here - progress is being made and the garden sounds like it might be taking shape sooner rather than later. Happy planting!

How are you getting on with the car?
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    lindez wrote: »
    Hi have just read your posts and am subscribing, what type of account has all the benefits yours sounds great. thank you. You are doing great and such an inspiration to follow some one who has come out of their debt free journey Congratulations x
    Thanks lindez. There's a really great post on fee paying accounts on the main forum. Look through as the one I chose isn't the top one overall, but it is best for me. Look at what you need it for and careful about getting cover you don't need :)
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    Hi DIA - just stopping by to say hello! (Previously JoJoC here).
    You're going great guns here - progress is being made and the garden sounds like it might be taking shape sooner rather than later. Happy planting!
    How are you getting on with the car?
    Good to see you here. I thought you were on holiday but now see you have morphed :)
    I am doing okay but buying the car slowed me down. I don't regret it. Need tax and ins sorted as grounded since last week as no time to sort it yet. Looking forward to shopping in Ald1 next week. Sad eh? :o
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    A very full on few days for me with migraine thrown in to the mix…

The main highlight of the week: Treated to opera, festival programme supper and champagne to a value of £400 just for little old me. Very lucky. :D

MSE wise. I did not need the shoes I bought for the opera (I found some I already had that suited) so I am taking them back for a refund ;)

I am having an extra WFH day today so will save fares and coffee (£11) :money:

I am eating leftovers and will be having a NSD day today :money:

I pay for garden waste and rarely use it. I am thinking of buying some green sacks and going to the recycling centre instead now I am driving. A trip once a month should be enough. I could tie it in with a trip to a certain Swedish store nearby. This saves £75 a year. A small amount but every bit helps?

I need to get my car (ins) and tax sorted over the next week. I will be doing one off payments to control the costs.

All house related issues have ground to a halt :o

I have a second job deadline that needs completing by the end of the day so today will be a bit stressful too

Next week calms down so I will be pressing on with house improvements, cleaning, decluttering and batch cooking ;)

I will be checking other people’s diaries after I pass my deadline tonight. Something non deadline related to look forward to :)

I hope your week is grinding to a satisfying halt :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The opera sounded a lovely treat DIA.

It's pointless paying for the garden waste if you can drop it off yourself. Personally I love a trip to the tip but I'm a saddo.

Have a great rest of the week.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good to see you here. I thought you were on holiday but now see you have morphed :)
    I am doing okay but buying the car slowed me down. I don't regret it. Need tax and ins sorted as grounded since last week as no time to sort it yet. Looking forward to shopping in Ald1 next week. Sad eh? :o

Not sad at all! I love Aldi! And the freedom of the driving will really help :) It'll open you up to all sorts of opportunities.

I agree that the recycling costs are money well saved if you can do it yourself, even just a little saving is a saving!

The opera sounds amazing! Wow! I've never been - one of the things that i'd like to tick off the list at some point.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Glad you enjoyed the whole opera experience , what a wonderful opportunity you were given.

I didn't know some places pay for removal of green waste, but then have seen it on tv this week. Am sure that will happen everywhere eventually.

Good you are getting the car sorted .
  • doingitanyway
    The opera sounded a lovely treat DIA.
    Its pointless paying for the garden waste if you can drop it off yourself. Personally I love a trip to the tip but I'm a saddo.
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    Not sad at all! I love Aldi! And the freedom of the driving will really help :) It'll open you up to all sorts of opportunities.
    I agree that the recycling costs are money well saved if you can do it yourself, even just a little saving is a saving!

The opera sounds amazing! Wow! I've never been - one of the things that i'd like to tick off the list at some point.
    Glad you enjoyed the whole opera experience , what a wonderful opportunity you were given.

I didn't know some places pay for removal of green waste, but then have seen it on tv this week. Am sure that will happen everywhere eventually.

Good you are getting the car sorted .

Thanks everyone. You are right I will do my own gardening recycling from now on.
    The opera was indeed a massive treat :)
    I've just finished my deadlines so my next focus will be the official car paperwork/forms/payments so I can do exciting things like shop in Ald1 ;)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    I spent yesterday feeling a bit edgy because I had an important deadline at work and another in my second job. I met both but not until 11.30pm when the deadline was 12.00am. :eek:

I slept a full 8 hours and feel well rested :)

I am out again tonight. A friend has tickets for a musical. Another treat! Feeling the love from friends this Summer! :D

I heard from the pest control man and the cameras show nothing so it looks like the squirrels are gone now. So I need to get the entry points sealed so they don’t come back

Inspired by parsniphead who has found a new way of debt paying that works for her. I am trialling taking 3 actions every day that will make a difference to my situation.

Three actions
    Return shoes and get a refund
    Contact roofer to close squirrel holes and prevent reentry
    Find another plasterer and make contact

Have a lovely sunny Saturday everyone :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Opera sounds just fab :)
    Good idea on garden waste.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    DIA, not meaning to nag but concerned you mention not having the car taxed - it has all changed recently and the dealer wouldn't let me leave with the van until I had done it online, you can't do it in someone else's name any more. Please check up on it.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills