Polite bank staff?

Comments

• JuicyJesus wrote: »
    a) They're told to and so have to do so or they will lose their jobs.

b) Counters will always exist for people who actually need them.

c) It's stupid, if you're responsible for managing a queue, to not try to shorten that queue by taking people out of it who can be serviced faster than by other means.
    "Serviced"? That's a nice term. I usually like to be thought of as a human being when I go to the bank, but it seems we're all just numbers now.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • prowla wrote: »
    People who tell you to use the machines are voting to lose their jobs...

Voting to lose ones job isn't the logical opposite of creating needless work for yourself! If somebody would be best served at a free machine rather than standing in a long queue, isn't that in both the customer's and bank staff's interests?
    : )
  • I've found it varies massively branch to branch. A couple of weeks ago I had to queue for over half an hour in one branch to be unapologetically told that I couldn't do that in branch. They seem to operate a triage-type process, but the member of staff doing the triage also does the work if they can, so you don't get to find out if you can actually be helped or not until you've got to the front of the queue.
  • I go to TSB to pay in money and I find the staff there polite . However at Halifax the staff moan at me and say I should use a banking machine. I prefer to talk to a person that use a machine. I feel stressed when I walk into Halifax Bank. I wait in a line and member of staff asks if I can use the banking machine. I always say no thanks. I think a bank should be more welcoming to its customers.

Last time i walked in TSB the staff were very rude and abusive...one even screamed insults whilst dropping the shutter.

Admittedly i had a sawn off shot gun...but still some what of an over reaction by the snotty staff.:D
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    "Serviced"? That's a nice term. I usually like to be thought of as a human being when I go to the bank, but it seems we're all just numbers now.

How does the word "serviced" imply being treated like a number instead of a human being. I'd use the word "served" myself, but they implication is the same - provided with a service.
  • I am served in a restaurant. I have my car serviced. A hotel receptionist serves me but arranges for my room to be serviced <g>.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am served in a restaurant. I have my car serviced. A hotel receptionist serves me but arranges for my room to be serviced <g>.

Yes however you then get a bill at the end of it and are expected to pay it.

A bank/building society pays and offers online services/ATMS/deposit machines/telephone banking/debit & credit cards/contactless/cheque books/post office/counter facilities, if you choose to only use one of them don't whinge and moan because other people are being dealt with quicker because they are happy to use other methods.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP I dont understand why you get stressed when you go into Halifax. I just ignore any unwanted or just laugh it off or put a spin on it.
  • "Serviced"? That's a nice term. I usually like to be thought of as a human being when I go to the bank, but it seems we're all just numbers now.

Unfortunately too many organisations tend to "service" their customers in an Anglo-Saxon sense, as in the bull services the cow.

When I provide an organisation with my custom I expect, in return, some customer service. I won't do self-service anywhere.
    I am quite prepared to pay more not to have to do it myself, but far too many banks, supermarkets etc want to deny me that option.

It is not the fault of the staff themselves who are told to try to get you to use machines. Just insist that you will deal with a human being instead.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 16 September 2018 at 10:53PM
    Unfortunately too many organisations tend to "service" their customers in an Anglo-Saxon sense, as in the bull services the cow.

No it doesn't. A bull serves a cow. :D

My uncle had a farm about a quarter of a mile from us when I was a kid and there were 300 cows plus one very nasty bull which would serve anything if it got the chance. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure