Octopus Choice

Comments

• masonic wrote: »
    I maintain the view that holding individual bonds to maturity eliminates the risk that you will lose money due to interest rate rises or other causes of price fluctuation on the market.

OK. i suppose what i'm saying is that it isn't holding individual bonds (rather than bond funds) that eliminates the risk, it's holding on to maturity (whether of an individual bond or of a bond fund) that eliminates it.

Coming back to your point that holding a bond fund for a sufficiently long period would achieve the same end, this is true providing the bond fund did not trade the bonds it held. In practice there is often a flight to the safety of lower risk bonds which crystallises losses. Nonetheless, there might be examples of funds in which this is true. It's little consolation though if you want to access the money in a specific timescale, when buying individual bonds would give a defined return on a set date, notwithstanding default risk.
    well, you can avoid the risk of the bond fund trading bonds by making it a bond tracker fund. if you pick an active bond fund, presumably that's because you think that the manager's trading will overall add rather than detract from value. i'm not totally against active bond funds, but in a sense they add in another kind of risk: manager risk.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,235 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2018 at 6:32PM
    OK. i suppose what i'm saying is that it isn't holding individual bonds (rather than bond funds) that eliminates the risk, it's holding on to maturity (whether of an individual bond or of a bond fund) that eliminates it.
    Agreed. Although the benefit with a ladder of individual bonds is that you get a return of capital at par even during times when prices are low.
    well, you can avoid the risk of the bond fund trading bonds by making it a bond tracker fund. if you pick an active bond fund, presumably that's because you think that the manager's trading will overall add rather than detract from value. i'm not totally against active bond funds, but in a sense they add in another kind of risk: manager risk.
    You mentioned specifically a high-yield bond fund when you introduced bonds to this discussion. To me that pretty much necessitates an active fund, but perhaps index trackers or ETFs now exist in this space (edit: on checking Trustnet, there are 32 high yield bond funds, none of which are trackers AFAICT; but one option in an ETF: BMO Barclays Global High Yield Bond GBP Hedged).
  • well, you can avoid the risk of the bond fund trading bonds by making it a bond tracker fund.

Will the same bond always make up the same proportion of the index all the way to its maturity though? Would the tracker fund "trade" the bond when the index weights are recalculated?
  • masonic
    edited 15 September 2018 at 7:02PM
    Will the same bond always make up the same proportion of the index all the way to its maturity though? Would the tracker fund "trade" the bond when the index weights are recalculated?
    Taking the only example of a passive high yield bond fund I could find (the ETF above, ZYHG), the KIID states: "The objective of this Exchange Traded Fund is to provide an exposure to global fixed-rate high yield bonds that have a maturity greater than one year and a minimum issue size of US$500m (or its equivalent in other currencies) which are hedged to sterling". So presumably it is rolling into longer dated bonds prior to maturity. Perhaps other passive bond funds also do this? I know some passive bond funds are long-dated and therefore wouldn't hold to maturity. I wasn't really able to glean any useful information about how the index was made up and what sort of portfolio turnover could be expected by constituents entering and leaving the index, or by their weights being recalculated. I did only skim-read the prospectus though.
  • short_butt_sweet
    short_butt_sweet Posts: 333 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2018 at 7:11PM
    masonic wrote: »
    You mentioned specifically a high-yield bond fund when you introduced bonds to this discussion. To me that pretty much necessitates an active fund, but perhaps index trackers or ETFs now exist in this space (edit: on checking Trustnet, there are 32 high yield bond funds, none of which are trackers AFAICT; but one option in an ETF: BMO Barclays Global High Yield Bond GBP Hedged).

there are a few ETFs. another is: ishares global corp bond GBP hedged ETF (GHYS).

it's true index weights can be adjusted, mainly due to bonds being added to or removed from the index. which could lead to a small amount of "trading".

however, that would generally involve adjusting the size of a holding, not changing it completely, so it's a smaller effect.

masonic wrote: »
    Taking the only example of a passive high yield bond fund I could find (the ETF above, ZYHG), the KIID states: "The objective of this Exchange Traded Fund is to provide an exposure to global fixed-rate high yield bonds that have a maturity greater than one year and a minimum issue size of US$500m (or its equivalent in other currencies) which are hedged to sterling". So presumably it is rolling into longer dated bonds prior to maturity. Perhaps other passive bond funds also do this?

a number of bond trackers do hold bonds until they have 1 year to go, instead of actually to maturity. but IMHO that comes to almost the same thing. the price of a bond with 1 year to go is not exactly known, but it tends to be near to par value by then.
  • masonic
    there are a few ETFs. another is: ishares global corp bond GBP hedged ETF (GHYS).
    That looks like a more reasonable option than the one I found, thanks. Looks as though the index is constructed so as to minimise trading.
  • bxboards wrote: »
    Absolutely, and I'm rather astonished at aroominyork in post 9.

You should never puts all your eggs in one basket, regardless of invesment or asset class.

I'm still surprised a professional IFA seems to be suggesting this, which is the point that is being lost if someone pulls out the 'it isn't for you' line, pulling that nonsense is so unhelpful on a discussion forum.
    And I’m astonished at your response, especially as I also agree with everything FA says.

Where did I advocate putting all your eggs in one basket? My point was this: if you want to put £20k into p2p and are going to spread across ten (or maybe even five) platforms that suggests a fundamental lack of confidence in the model and hence it might be best to avoid p2p altogether. As I said in a subsequent post, I have c.8% of my investments in p2p spread across three platforms – that seems a reasonable approach to managing the risk of p2p.

Let me give an analogy. If you invest in active equity funds, you diversify across different regions/sectors/market caps etc. If you aim for exhaustive diversification you are essentially compiling a tracker but paying active management fees. So you would be better off not investing in active funds but just buying a low cost tracker. Similar with p2p – if you are trying to manage out all the risk, is it an asset type which is appropriate for you in the first place?
  • bxboards wrote: »
    Get a new IFA, you are right to be concerned.

Octopus Choice is fine, but its terrible advice for you to be told to just use only 1 P2P company for a lump sump.

Have a look at the big P2P thread

If you want to diversify across multiple P2P platforms with minimal effort you should look at Orca (https://www.orcamoney.com). They will split your investment across Assetz Capital, Landbay, Lending Crowd, Lending Works, Octopus Choice, and RateSetter. They target a return of 5%.
  • pmjenkins wrote: »
    If you want to diversify across multiple P2P platforms with minimal effort you should look at Orca (https://www.orcamoney.com). They will split your investment across Assetz Capital, Landbay, Lending Crowd, Lending Works, Octopus Choice, and RateSetter. They target a return of 5%.
    Clever idea. Someone always comes up with a new way to take a cut, in this case 0.65%.
  • pmjenkins wrote: »
    If memory serves the number of platforms used depends on the amount invested
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure