MSE News: Octopus Energy to take on Iresa's 90,000 customers - here's what you need to know

Comments

• Has anybody received any money back from Octopus. I had £200 credit in my Iresa account but moved out soon after the takeover and they are not the supplier of the new flat.

Is there not a time limit for getting credit balances paid back? They said it could take months
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I emailed the readings and got a 3 word response, they have been added but account still says 00000. No anything from Octopus to say I have left, no anything to say welcome to eversmart. Agree, Iresa were far better!

On switch, meter readings have to be validated by an independent industry third party. The validation process can take up to 10 days. The validated readings have to be used to open and close accounts.

https://octopus.energy/blog/secret-life-opening-meter-reading/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 13 September 2018 at 7:25PM
    Has anybody received any money back from Octopus. I had £200 credit in my Iresa account but moved out soon after the takeover and they are not the supplier of the new flat.

Is there not a time limit for getting credit balances paid back? They said it could take months

Suppliers, under EU Law, have to use their reasonable efforts to issue you with a Final Bill no later than 6 weeks after the transfer of supply. See my post above re the validation of closing readings.

If you have actually left the property, then having just moved myself, I can testify that my account with Octopus for my old property was signed off in days not weeks.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,583
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    Suppliers, under EU Law, have to use their reasonable efforts to issue you with a Final Bill no later than 6 weeks after the transfer of supply. See my post above re the validation of closing readings.

If you have actually left the property, then having just moved myself, I can testify that my account with Octopus for my old property was signed off in days not weeks.

Probably because you you weren't actually transferring your supply but terminating your contract at those premises and gave them a direct final reading.

This is not the same as swapping suppliers which involves the validation process which seems to slow it down by an inordinate amount of time and gives the supplier(s) an excuse to drag their feet a bit as well
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,489
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Octopus have published an Iresa blog update which suggests that they still have 10,000 Iresa final bills to sort and despatch! Also that they are starting to move on sorting out those who had actually switched from Iresa in the final days and owe or are owed monies.

No move on my situation -Octopus have not sent me anything to suggest that I've left and the new supplier, Usio ,haven't sent anything re start of supply date:(
    HOWEVER, my account page with Usio is showing that I'm in credit.....but for some unknown reason ,the credit is 44p less than the DD that they took -ts a mystery and hope it isn't a sign of things to come!!:(
  • Thanks brewerdave, mine is still in limbo.

Maddie, bless her, seems to have trouble knowing what day/month it is occasionally :rotfl:
  • Under Thursday 13 August if you have trouble finding the update ;)
    https://octopus.energy/blog/iresa-daily-updates/
  • Inigo_Montoya
    Inigo_Montoya Posts: 1,214
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 3:59PM
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Octopus have published an Iresa blog update which suggests that they still have 10,000 Iresa final bills to sort and despatch! Also that they are starting to move on sorting out those who had actually switched from Iresa in the final days and owe or are owed monies.

(

I phoned Octopus today - they stated they will be creating 'skeleton' accounts for IRESA customers who left IRESA but still have credit balances to be refunded

For people like me in the above mentioned situation it sounds like its going to quite a while yet before refunds are processed

Due to the delay Ive tried contacting my bank about the direct debit guarantee scheme but getting a refund of what im owed would mean lying about when I left IRESA as you can only get a refund of any DDs taken after you left them - its highly unlikely to work even then as they will ask for proof of the leaving date
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,070
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I phoned Octopus today - they stated they will be creating 'skeleton' accounts for IRESA customers who left IRESA but still have credit balances to be refunded

For people like me in the above mentioned situation it sounds like its going to quite a while yet before refunds are processed

Thanks for this, much the same as me.
    I left before Iresa went bust, at least I'm only owed about 20 quid, but I can understand how Octopus is in no hurry start giving cash back to people who are extremely unlikely to become one of their customers.

In the meantime I'll sit and wait as a "skeleton in their cupboard";)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,234
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm supposed to be moving gas and elec to Angelic Energy. I received an email saying it would happen on 23 sept only to get an email 2 days ago saying that my elec was now with them. Tonight I've had an email saying they will take over my elec on the 22nd. The account number is different so I have 2 elec accounts and no gas account.

Interesting times!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport