Airport Lounge Hacks

Comments

• Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I flew business to get lounge access and it was good but I didn’t want to eat and drink too much before a long haul flight. I valued the priority security almost as much tbh.

I’m off to the Philippines in November and that will probably be more worthwhile as I have around 3 hours in Dubai each way so I will be able to shower and relax. Both are in the small hours so I doubt that I’ll be interested in any food or drink that’s on offer.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Ballard wrote: »
    I flew business to get lounge access and it was good but I didn’t want to eat and drink too much before a long haul flight. I valued the priority security almost as much tbh.

I’m off to the Philippines in November and that will probably be more worthwhile as I have around 3 hours in Dubai each way so I will be able to shower and relax. Both are in the small hours so I doubt that I’ll be interested in any food or drink that’s on offer.

Some of the Business/first class lounges have full sit down dining which can in some cases be better than the offering in the air.

It is handy to have a shower before or after a flight but one of my fondest memories of a lounge was the complimentary massage in the Hong Kong Cathay Pacific Lounge :)

This is going off topic now and not getting the OP his free lounge access.;)
  • colcheslad
    colcheslad Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    An unscrupulous and immoral way to achieve the lounge for free (and proper airline / alliance lounges) is to buy a fully refundable business class ticket and simply apply for a refund once you're through.

Only in theory though, of course!
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    colcheslad wrote: »
    An unscrupulous and immoral way to achieve the lounge for free (and proper airline / alliance lounges) is to buy a fully refundable business class ticket and simply apply for a refund once you're through.

Unscrupulous, immoral and a bit of a phaff do you not think?

Just Pony up the £20 odd quid if the lounge access is that important and you have no other status or airline cabin fare entitlement.

I think the Op probably now has his answer that there is no free trial offer of a lounge.
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I thought being a tight Scot I was bad but that takes the biscuit :T:rotfl:

Agree that the paid for lounges can be very average and also they have time limits normally of 3 or so hours, though I've never seen anyone thrown out. However, if you do have a long wait between flights, I would pay for the privilege to have a drink, read a paper and a nice sit down rather than being in an overcrowded airport terminal (as most are these days) and pay over the odds for food and drink. If it's only an hour or two you have, I wouldn't bother imo.
  • Jane_B
    Jane_B Posts: 131 Forumite
    For free, or trial promotions are not done with airport lounges. If you had prepared earlier you could have taken out certain credit cards which offer 6 visits to selected lounges throughout the year, or unlimited (as per Amex)

either pay to enter, or don't. Your choice. I personally wouldn't ever travel now without using them, as I have got used to them, and can't stand waiting in the general airport any more. But to each their own. Free food and drinks are worth it for most.
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary

https://nypost.com/2014/01/29/man-uses-first-class-plane-ticket-to-eat-free-for-a-year/

Saw your comment and remembered about this! People have actually done this before... very unscrupulous though!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    https://nypost.com/2014/01/29/man-uses-first-class-plane-ticket-to-eat-free-for-a-year/

Saw your comment and remembered about this! People have actually done this before... very unscrupulous though!
    Brilliant! Top moneysaving :money:MSE should do a news item! And not really more "unscrupulous" than a lot of other moneysaving hacks.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We're flying Business Class from LHR to Singapore.

LHR to Frankfurt with Lufthansa and Frankfurt to Singapore with Singapore Airlines.

I'm told that the Senator Lounge in Frankfurt has poor food selection and the furnishings are a bit IKEA.

Can we use the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge instead???

And is there any protocol about which lounges you can use if flying BC.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • slinga wrote: »
    We're flying Business Class from LHR to Singapore.

LHR to Frankfurt with Lufthansa and Frankfurt to Singapore with Singapore Airlines.

I'm told that the Senator Lounge in Frankfurt has poor food selection and the furnishings are a bit IKEA.

Can we use the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge instead???

And is there any protocol about which lounges you can use if flying BC.

As you are flying BC with Star Alliance airlines yes you can.

https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/maple-leaf-lounges.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure