Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

Options

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 December 2018 at 3:19PM
    Options
    My dear husband joined in 1979 and was medically discharged as a Sgt in late 2001 with injuries caused during his service. His mental health is quite poor and is confused wether he is entitled to a pension.

Upon discharge he was awarded 40% disability by the spva but is now at 80%, initially he received a small lump sum a monthly pension from the Army and a war pension.

There has been no further lump sums awarded between the 40% and 80% and is unsure if he should have received a further amount.

He is aged 59 now serving under the AFP’s 75 and is confused by the whole thing, any advice would be appreciated.

This is so complex, I would go straight to the experts in this field - the war pensions department of the Royal British Legion. They'll also be able to advise if your husband is entitled to any other benefits.

0808 802 8080
    www.britishlegion.org.uk

My best wishes to both of you. People say that Mr S and I are 'lucky' to have our Armed Forces pensions, but I know our 'luck' was down to completing our combined 50 plus years of service with our minds and bodies intact - unlike so many others.
  • Murielson
    Options
    Go direct with your enquiry

Armed forces pensions enquiries
    Joint Personnel Administration Centre (JPAC)
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow
    G2 8EX

Telephone:
    0800 085 3600

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pensions-and-compensation-for-veterans
  • Andylaff
    Options

The key word here is “Pension SCHEME”

Any pension scheme that i know of that is changed half way through affects ALL persons on that scheme, not half!

As AFPS 75 stands, the two year rule should apply to all vets from 1975 up until 2005 when the new scheme changed.

When they changed the rule, they should have changed the scheme and called it AFPS 88 because this was a significant event  and it only affected those from 1988 onwards.

It’s only from July 2020 that they mention it in the updated version of AFPS 75

In the old version of AFPS 75 dated February 2015, it’s not mentioned.

As far as I’m concerned, AFPS 75 Started in 1975 and finished in 2005, so the Policy should stand for everyone on that scheme!!

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are incorrect in your assertions, many pension schemes change the rules for current members and former / deferred members are bound by the old rules.
  • NoMoneyNoWorries
    Options
    Pension plans are always complicated?
    Having served 1977 - 1990 - I was informed by veterans UK that only AFPS75 applied to me.
    FTR - I see 1988 mentioned in AFPS75  July 2020 in one paragraph only:
    I’m eligible for AFPS 75, how do I know if I’m in the Scheme? 
    You wouldn’t have needed to do anything to join AFPS 75 if you joined the Regular Armed Forces before 6th April 2005. You will, however, need to have at least 2 years of paid Service to qualify for most pension benefits. This is known as qualifying service. Note: The minimum qualifying period of 2 years’ Service applies if you were in AFPS 75 on or after 6th April 1988. If you left Service before 6th April 1988, then you need to have completed 5 years of reckonable service (the actual years and days that count towards your pension). If you left between April 1975 and 1978, then you need to have reached age 26 and completed 5 years of reckonable service

I have recently sent off for mine  - 60 on Nov 4 - I'll see what I get.

• Silvertabby
    Options
    Pension plans are always complicated?
    Having served 1977 - 1990 - I was informed by veterans UK that only AFPS75 applied to me.
    FTR - I see 1988 mentioned in AFPS75  July 2020 in one paragraph only:
    I’m eligible for AFPS 75, how do I know if I’m in the Scheme? 
    You wouldn’t have needed to do anything to join AFPS 75 if you joined the Regular Armed Forces before 6th April 2005. You will, however, need to have at least 2 years of paid Service to qualify for most pension benefits. This is known as qualifying service. Note: The minimum qualifying period of 2 years’ Service applies if you were in AFPS 75 on or after 6th April 1988. If you left Service before 6th April 1988, then you need to have completed 5 years of reckonable service (the actual years and days that count towards your pension). If you left between April 1975 and 1978, then you need to have reached age 26 and completed 5 years of reckonable service

I have recently sent off for mine  - 60 on Nov 4 - I'll see what I get.

12 years reckonable service plus 30 years cost of living increases, so probably more than you think.  Not just an annual pension - you'll also receive a tax free lump sum of 3 X pension.

Glad you are aware of your entitlement.  There appear to be a lot of people out there who mistakenly believe that the sum of money they received on completion of 12 years service (the resettlement grant) was in lieu of pension rights.  Damn barrack room lawyers!
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why only the 'Old Boys'??!

There must be thousands, nay hundreds of thousands of Old Girls!!

How very discriminatory.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    MalMonroe said:

How very discriminatory.
    Speaking as an 'Old Girl' there are far more pressing problems in the world today than this perceived discrimination ! 

• NoMoneyNoWorries
    Options
    Mine has come through now and very welcomed it is at this current time.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    MalMonroe said:

How very discriminatory.
    Speaking as an 'Old Girl' there are far more pressing problems in the world today than this perceived discrimination ! 

Nope, from one 'old girl' to another, I don't think so. And turning a blind eye doesn't help either!
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback