PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hello all:hello:

Have manged 5 NSD's out of 6 so far this month.:T

I've just been given my first breadmaker so off tomorrow to buy all the stuff and give it a go. Really looking forward to joining the 'bake your own club':D

Umm HM plum jam, how delicious. I think that calls for some HM scones though:rolleyes:
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • Judellie
    Judellie Posts: 114 Forumite
    Evening everyone,
    Spent £14.82 today, mainly on carp!! - icelollies at school fayre, MacD for DS2, DS3 and OH and 30 eggs for £3 at the local farm shop.

MrsM - would you be really kind angel-smiley-002.gif and post the recipies for the naans and tortillas. Thank you

Jude xx
    GC June: £350/405.56
    GC July: £350 spent
    [STRIKE]£22[/STRIKE]99.51
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Evening all

Had a pretty uneventful Saturday pottering about. The trouble is we are trying to spend as little as possible this month not only on the grocery challenge but in general. We are only putting diesel and food on the credit card this month so I am keeping away from shops as much as possible. Trouble is I would really love to jump in the car with DD and head off to Exeter for some girlie shopping - clothes and shoes for holiday, make-up, books etc but I know if I go to the shops I will spend, spend, spend!:mad: So trying to motivate myself to do something else on a Saturday afternoon has been difficult. In the end I got cooking and did a bit of baking this afternoon - some marshmallow cripsy bars (recipe off the mini marshmallow packet), lemon cake (fell apart when I took it out of the tin but is still eatable ), and shortbread.

Thank you to whoever posted a recipe a while back for bacon, onion and potato hotpot. :j It was lovely and very easy to prepare. Had it with carrots and broccoli.

Spent £1 on some potatoes being sold outside someone's front door and that's all.

Nice also, to see our credit card company is on the ball. They rang today to say someone had tried to use DH's card last night so have put a stop on it.

Thanks to Taplady for the PM regarding IBS. I've sent you a reply.

Have a good Sunday .

TheBees
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    TheBees wrote: »
    Evening all

Had a pretty uneventful Saturday pottering about. The trouble is we are trying to spend as little as possible this month not only on the grocery challenge but in general. We are only putting diesel and food on the credit card this month so I am keeping away from shops as much as possible. Trouble is I would really love to jump in the car with DD and head off to Exeter for some girlie shopping - clothes and shoes for holiday, make-up, books etc but I know if I go to the shops I will spend, spend, spend!:mad: So trying to motivate myself to do something else on a Saturday afternoon has been difficult. In the end I got cooking and did a bit of baking this afternoon - some marshmallow cripsy bars (recipe off the mini marshmallow packet), lemon cake (fell apart when I took it out of the tin but is still eatable ), and shortbread.

Thank you to whoever posted a recipe a while back for bacon, onion and potato hotpot. :j It was lovely and very easy to prepare. Had it with carrots and broccoli.

Spent £1 on some potatoes being sold outside someone's front door and that's all.

Nice also, to see our credit card company is on the ball. They rang today to say someone had tried to use DH's card last night so have put a stop on it.

Thanks to Taplady for the PM regarding IBS. I've sent you a reply.

Have a good Sunday .

TheBees

Can you post the recipe for the hotpot? sounds nice
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Did a small shop today at Mr S and can't believe how quickly the prices are going up!

2 pkts soya mince (normally 59p each, now 99p each)
    2 pkts pollack fillets (1.65 & £1.69)
    2 pints org milk (98p)
    1 cucumber (72p)
    1 flora pro active (£3.86)
    500g benecol yogurt (£1.99)

total £12.87
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • catnap53
    catnap53 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Had to take my mother shopping today. She hasn't been to shops for a few months, usually gets my sister, neighbour, hairdresser, etc to get her shopping. We have tried to get her to sort out her shopping for once a week, but she is so used to going out for a few bits each day that she can't understand that when she is relying on others she has to be a bit more flexible. She even asks for things when she doesn't need them for at least a week. Anyway on Thursday night she told my sister not to bother going today as I was going to take her out! It wouldn't have been too bad, but I didn't know.

I feel so guilty that I am annoyed, but I only get weekends off and with being away for the BH, and having to work most of last WE, I am so far behind. Even the secret days leave I took yesterday to try to catch up backfired. I hadn't realised it was an 'inset' day and the teenagers would be at home, but didn't worry too much as they would stay in bed late. What really messed it up was that at about 9pm Thursday DH said he was taking the day off to watch cricket on TV, not even to do anything to help, just get in the way.

She used to shop at Somerfield, can see the car park from her flat about 100 yards away, but she is now used to Tesco things and wanted to go there, 17 miles round trip, for her first time ever.

I wasn't planning on spending today, but as I was going to be there I didn't want to waste the opportunity, so armed with my first ever list, (I'd have forgotten everything, she gets me so worked up) I had a lovely :rolleyes: 3 hours that I couldn't afford, and spent almost 50 pounds, going over on the list by about 15 pounds.

Never again on a Saturday afternoon, big car park, full so I had to drop her off, drive to the opposite side, and then negotiate the one way poorly designed system to go back and pick her up from the front again, getting in everyone's way, when we had finished. Not even a compensating whoopsie in sight at that time of the day. Definitely prefer going late, even if I am tired.

I thought at least she would stock up while she had the chance and could see what they had, but she got some bread, biscuits and one ready meal. She didn't even get any milk to save someone a trip tomorrow!

Not long finished eating the HM pizza, at least they all liked it, and about to have apple crumble that I made yesterday, think it will go well with the cider I am half way through, :beer: therapeutic purposes of course.;)

Congratulations to those with things to celebrate, hope things get better for those with worries.

I can empathise with people losing jobs, I heard about DH's redundancy on the radio driving home from work when I was 7 months pregnant with DS. He finished work on the Friday and DS was born on the Monday morning. This was nearly 18 years ago, during the 'bad times' and he was out of work for over 2 years. He got so depressed thinking he would never work again, just kept getting sent on useless training courses, so he couldn't even be of use with the childcare as I had to go back to work.

Realised why I am extra tired tonight. Waited up for DS to phone for a lift home from a friends last night. He phoned to say he would walk with some other friends. After they split up at the end of the road he passed a group of young lads hanging about in a shop doorway. One of them followed him on a bike and kept running the bike into him and tired to stop him getting by and 'asking' for his phone and house keys. We reported it, then had to wait up for the the police to come, and then for DS to calm down enough to go to sleep.

Wonder if they want the crumble now? Not sure I can be bothered.

Zzzzz
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    I love this thread. Used the recipe for Chickpea and Potato curry and made that tonight, but I did add some chicken. It was fab. Thank you. Did a bit of shopping today, milk, chicken breasts, so will update sig tomorrow. Made naan bread to go with curry tonight and they were really tasty. Does anyone cook their own popadoms. We used to years ago when we had a deep fat fryer. We don't have one anymore and I was wondering if you could shallow fry them? Must be able to do it cheaper than buying them precooked;)
    galacticgreen - you can do them in them in the microwave, just brush them with oil and jap them for about 30 secs - keep an efe on the as they cook really quickly.

We always cook them this way and much prefer them.
  • Hello all:hello:

Have manged 5 NSD's out of 6 so far this month.:T

I've just been given my first breadmaker so off tomorrow to buy all the stuff and give it a go. Really looking forward to joining the 'bake your own club':D

Umm HM plum jam, how delicious. I think that calls for some HM scones though:rolleyes:

Now in breadmakers-guess what-you can also make jam!!!!!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • catnap53 wrote: »
    I feel so guilty that I am annoyed, but I only get weekends off and with being away for the BH, and having to work most of last WE, I am so far behind. Even the secret days leave I took yesterday to try to catch up backfired. I hadn't realised it was an 'inset' day and the teenagers would be at home, but didn't worry too much as they would stay in bed late. What really messed it up was that at about 9pm Thursday DH said he was taking the day off to watch cricket on TV, not even to do anything to help, just get in the way.

I wasn't planning on spending today, but as I was going to be there I didn't want to waste the opportunity, so armed with my first ever list, (I'd have forgotten everything, she gets me so worked up) I had a lovely :rolleyes: 3 hours that I couldn't afford, and spent almost 50 pounds, going over on the list by about 15 pounds.

Realised why I am extra tired tonight. Waited up for DS to phone for a lift home from a friends last night. He phoned to say he would walk with some other friends. After they split up at the end of the road he passed a group of young lads hanging about in a shop doorway. One of them followed him on a bike and kept running the bike into him and tired to stop him getting by and 'asking' for his phone and house keys. We reported it, then had to wait up for the the police to come, and then for DS to calm down enough to go to sleep.

Wonder if they want the crumble now? Not sure I can be bothered.

Zzzzz

Catnap-your life sounds rather like mine!
    The spend may have been unplanned but you did it wisely. You made good use of the time and the fuel andmyou did what you could for your Mum. Infuriating it may have been but believe me-one day you will treasure that opportunity-I wish I still had my Mum to do that for :+(
    I often pick up my son although he is 19 and reasonably streetwise,we live in a nice area and so forth but still he has had a knife pulled on him.
    I think its safer for me to walk the streets that my kids to be honest-youngsters have a lot to cope with today.
    Congratulations on coping-some days its hard-you have done well i think!:beer:
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh dear! Have less than £20 before end of my month (mid june) Will have to be extra careful. On a bonus picked up a months worth of cake for kids lunches today from cricket match teas( they were throwing away a load of good cake) all packed in sets of two and safe in freezer now. Going for NSD no. 3 tomorrow. Going to BBQ for afternoon tomorrow so should be ok. My freebie move box from scottich power came today and it has x4 loo rolls in, x2 kitchen rolls, long life milk, cif, energy saving light bulb and about £2 in coupons. Hopefully that will help to see me through week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure