PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

A flat with no light fittings?!

Hi everyone I m newbie here.

I have recently moved into a new flat then realised there are no ceiling light in all of the bedrooms. It didn’t occurs to me to check when viewing the flat, because it’s unexpected and never happen in 15 years of moving around in London.

Landlord has refused to install light on the ceiling, he only agree to provide lamp which is not bright enough to use for work at night.

Is it against health and safety to rent out flat that has no light fitting? What is my right in this case?

Thank you for your help! :beer:

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    My grandad's flat had no central light which I found very odd! But good lamps and uplighters worked fine.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You have the right to inspect the flat and decide whether or not to rent it. And probably to add additional lights. Does it not come with any lights, or just not fitted ones?
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Lots of hotel rooms are lit by wall lights and most rooms in america have no ceiling lights.

Rubbish for reading, okay for watching telly. Maybe its a new trend, and if so it's a sad one.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Hi, I have already moved in then realised there isnt any ceiling or wall light, basically a dark box.

I m currently using a table lamp at night but it’s not great for doing work in the evening :-(
  • zagubov wrote: »
    Lots of hotel rooms are lit by wall lights and most rooms in america have no ceiling lights.

Rubbish for reading, okay for watching telly. Maybe its a new trend, and if so it's a sad one.
    You know, when I visited the US in 2015, I never really paid any attention enough to notice that in any of the hotels I was staying at. :eek:
    :o
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You know, when I visited the US in 2015, I never really paid any attention enough to notice that in any of the hotels I was staying at. :eek:

DW used to live in the US and it was one of the many small differences in house design, along with light switches going the wrong way, lack of electric kettles and grills on ovens (they use toaster ovens instead), etc.

Anyhoo, it does sound as if OP needs to get some good lamps.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Get decent wattage led daylight bulbs if you want to work.

Plenty of suitable standalone fittings.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/strala-cord-set-white-20371467/

Or make your own with whatever cable suits.

A standard lamp or a work lamp would be better for reading or working.
  • Isn’t it illegal? Is it like a lamp and not a wall switch?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 24 July 2019 at 10:35AM
    Marythecat wrote: »
    Hi, I have already moved in then realised there isnt any ceiling or wall light, basically a dark box.

I m currently using a table lamp at night but it’s not great for doing work in the evening :-(

I recommend one of these

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9258482
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family