PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Longer lasting salad ingredients

Comments

• luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Spendless wrote: »
    I do a wad of kitchen roll as a layer at the bottom of my salad drawer and my salad/veg lasts ages. Wipe any moisture off of veg before placing in salad drawer. Check the kitchen roll lining after 4 days and if showing signs of being wet, replace.

I agree bagged salad leaves go off really quickly. You are better sticking to a whole lettuce in whatever variety you prefer.

I also line the salad drawer with kitchen roll, remember not to cut the lettuce with a knife just tear of what you need
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Last night's veggies are often thrown into today's salad. Cooked frozen peas and broad beans, steamed green beans, grilled courgettes, grilled mushrooms, all work well cold. Cooked cold carrot, not so much.

Americans have a thing for salads. Their cookbooks often have interesting ideas.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Slinky wrote: »
    The rating of your fridge may also have something to do with it. We found that salad stuff lasts much longer in our new fridge than the old one.

I agree with this... check your fridge temperature.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Are you topping your sundried toms/peppers back up with oil after removing some? The remaining veg need to be submerged or can go mouldy quite quickly especially if your fridge isn't as efficient as it could be. Any type of veg oil is fine. If they are in brine rather than oil just top up with water.

Firm lettuce like iceberg, romaine etc. keep really well if you peel the leaves off rather than chopping into it. Spring onions and celery benefit from being stood in a glass with some water to keep them crisp. Mine are not in the fridge just on the counter and my kitchen does get warm but they're quite happy.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Im really surprised that your jars got mould within a week as I often have jars of peppers, olives and walnuts etc in my fridge for months ( some years ) and as long as the veg is covered by the preserving liquid then all stays well

I also buy in brine or vinegar, not oil, healthier

I personally hate the "traditional" style of salad, I prefer to root about the fridge and larder for bits that will make a salad - tinned beans such as chickpeas or kidney, sweetcorn, roasted peppers, olives, walnuts, dried fruit, grapes, gherkins, eggs, grated raw veg such as carrots and courgette and cabbage

right now Im eating "salads" with a couscous base, adding chopped up small whatever I have, adding pomegranate seeds and blueberries , chilli, - well seriously whatever comes to hand. Every day its different but always tasty
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,562 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Steer clear of bagged salads, even if rtc prices tempt you.

These are 'glissed' with modified gases, after high-strength chlorine washing.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I bought a 'living salad' from sainsburys for £1.00 2 weeks ago, it did nearly 2 weeks with a daily watering, cost the same as a bagged salad but as it was fresh and growing it lasted longer! I have replaced it today but plan on getting seeds and growing my own on the window sill in the future.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Oh wow!!! I knew I could rely on you lovely lot. Some amazing ideas!!! Thank you so much. I'm going to go through this thread and write down some of them.
    I didn't realise to top the oils up I will remember that next time I buy them. Thank you so much for all your replies that's really really helpful :)
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 July 2019 at 9:22AM
    I find the solid balls of white and red (coleslaw type) cabbage last for ages in a salad tray in the fridge. You need only cut off a small chunk at a time and shred it up. Celeriac (the ball type version of celery). also lasts well. Just slice off a chunk, cut it into small pieces and the rest goes back Into the salad tray.

The inner heart of Hispi cabbage (the small pointed one) also stays fresh for quite a while in the fridge. Daikon (the 'long as a cucumber' white radish, also known as mouli keeps for ages. Even raw swedes and turnips can be grated and easily used in salads in the same way as carrots, and these mixed with a few sultanas and a squeeze of lemon juice make a different side salad.

And don't forget that slices of apple can be chopped and mixed in salads with the remainder of the fruit stored in the salad tray.

Raw peanuts and cashews can be sprinkled over salads for extra texture and pumpkin and other seeds also add extra chewiness and interest.

And as for your growing lettuce (presume they're the ones with roots in a punnet?) If you have a garden, plant some of them out in odd spaces. They will droop for a few days but once they recover they will go on to grow into lovely healthy lettuces which will keep you stocked with salad leaves for ages.
  • I second that about growing lettuce. L1dl often have them in multiple packs as cut & come again. The only thing is I find some varieties bolt quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure