PIP and mobility scooter

Options
I have just had my letter "inviting" me to claim PIP after many years on DLA Higher rate mobility, a lifetime award. I'm 67.

I have to use a mobility scooter outdoors at all times without exception. When filling in the PIP form, will it go against me to tell them this? Indoors I can just about get by, holding on to furniture, but I can't manage more than a few steps, hence the scooter.

Please does anyone have any experience of the outcome of telling DWP you have to use one outdoors?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    They ask what aids you use, a mobility scooter is an aid just as e.g a walking stick would be, so you have to tell them.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Of course you should tell them. It speaks to your limitation regarding walking which is a key part of assessing your mobility needs.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    I have just had my letter "inviting" me to claim PIP after many years on DLA Higher rate mobility, a lifetime award. I'm 67.

I have to use a mobility scooter outdoors at all times without exception. When filling in the PIP form, will it go against me to tell them this? Indoors I can just about get by, holding on to furniture, but I can't manage more than a few steps, hence the scooter.

Please does anyone have any experience of the outcome of telling DWP you have to use one outdoors?

My son uses a wheelchair outside, although he can walk. He has a lot of pain when walking, and his breathing is badly compromised. I've just received his form and am in the process of filling it in, and I am including the details that I've just written above. I don't expect it to go against him, as he obviously can't walk 'normally' or in the same way as a non-disabled person.

It's the same for you - you need help with walking, due to your disabilities. You should definitely tell them about using the scooter. As you can only manage walking indoors when holding onto furniture, you should explain why. Having to use a scooter outside shouldn't go against you.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's just that I'm wondering, could they say the scooter gets me around independently (where a manual wheelchair wouldn't as I'd need someone to push it)and so not give me any points for getting around?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    Options
    It's just that I'm wondering, could they say the scooter gets me around independently (where a manual wheelchair wouldn't as I'd need someone to push it)and so not give me any points for getting around?
    No, this should not go against you. Do be aware that the High rate mobility DLA was 50 metres walking distance but PIP Enhanced mobility is 20 metres.
  • zaksmum
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    No, this should not go against you. Do be aware that the High rate mobility DLA was 50 metres walking distance but PIP Enhanced mobility is 20 metres.

I know about this but is there a chance they could say the use of a scooter makes it easier for me to move 20 metres? Because I think that's the term they use for PIP, move rather than walk
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    I know about this but is there a chance they could say the use of a scooter makes it easier for me to move 20 metres? Because I think that's the term they use for PIP, move rather than walk

The test is about walking.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sheepski
    Sheepski Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    The test is about walking. And also about being able to walk reliably; for eg without being in pain, at a normal speed and repeatedly. If you need an aid to do this, then you can't walk reliably and will be awarded points according to the distance you could walk without the aid.

Think of it this way; a scooter costs money, whether that's the initial cost or monthly rent, the electric/batteries to charge it and any ongoing maintenance/accessories etc. This isn't a cost that someone with a normal level of mobility would need and hence it is something that PIP will help you afford.
  • zaksmum
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everybody. My husband does go out with me when I'm on the scooter because as a non driver I haven't got good road sense at all. And being deaf I can't hear traffic approaching or warning car horns beeping at me. I'd never go out on my own with the scooter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure