Fitness advice

Comments

• takethemon
    takethemon Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    How about outdoor boot camps?
    There may be one in a park in your vicinity.
  • eeetee wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best place for this but just looking for some general advice on fitness (33 yo M) main excercise currently is walking approx 5m/ day. Looking to increase fitness, tone up a bit. Tried gyms a while back, didn’t really work for me- not really my scene. Thinking about starting with couch to 5k to get into running. Also considered a Personal trainer, for motivation and technique, doing it ‘wrong’ is what’s putting me off (getting injured) was thinking of someone who would train outdoors, or are gyms and associated equipment essential? I just felt totally out of place there last time. Also with other commitments I’m quite time limited.
    You are plenty fit enough as it is now if you are doing 5 miles a day walks. That is way over the government guidelines. Walking on the flat is good enough, all you need to do , to increase fitness levels, from your excellent level it is now, is to do hill walks Just walking up hills, steeper the better , will really make a difference. As soon as gravity comes into walks then everything scales up with the intense increased effort . different leg muscles come s into play, the lungs and heart works harder.
    You can vary it with cycling now and then. 20 miles is a good distance. Don`t waste time and money in gyms, they really are totally unnecessary . No point in building artificial muscle bulk in a years toil only for it to disappear in three weeks once you stop and it all turns into blubber
  • billy2shots
    billy2shots Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Walking a lot will get you, umm, good at walking. Apart from a bit of extra calf muscle you won’t gain in that area from walking.
    Walking will help you lose fat (as long as that diet is is place first) but it won’t improve fitness. To do that you would have to walk further each time or get quicker each time and that’s just not possible for the long term.

A big red flag when anybody mentions muscle turning into fat or fat turning into muscle. That’s just not physically possible so take their advice with a pinch of salt.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 June 2019 at 1:04PM
    When people stop exercising and go back into couch potato mode their muscles begin to shrink, clearing the way for adipose tissue , or fat, to slowly replace the muscle s ..You can believe what bad advice you have read but i ve been there and tested it out several times over the years..So unless you intend to stupidly waste time and money on the utterly pointless activity of weight training for the rest of your life, then carry on mate.
    Depends what you mean by getting "fitter ". Even Mo Farah can get fitter and he s as fit as any butchers dog. It is an endless pursuit to keep trying to get fitter.Just get fit enough to what sort of activity you like doing without it seeming hard work and you re fit enough.
    Absolutely no need to ever do much activity other than walking, or moderate cycling in order to be as fit as you ever need to be. You could try speed walking , at around 4.5 to 5 mph if you like , that is the about the same cardio work out as steady jogging , but hill walking would get most people exercising the lungs and heart much more..
    Don t take advice OP from the fanatics pounding the pavements with their obligatory headphones on and garish lycra uniforms, they all end up packing it all in once they get a couple of nasty injuries ., and forget about the word "marathon " or "half marathon ".
    . How many people drop dead on this utterly useless bucket list ?.No one is interested in the fact that you ve done a marathon. I ve done one in a good time and bore people to death talking about it.
  • billy2shots
    The reason why people get fat when they stop weight trying is because they still eat the same as when they trained. This means they are eating in excess of their ‘maintenance ‘ requirements. Consuming more calories than you need leads to muscle growth and fat whilst training and just fat if not training.

It’s very simple.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've always done lots of walking; did the NHS couch to 5k podcasts and can now run; learned to swim. Didn't get a lot fitter. Started with a personal trainer a few months ago and the difference is amazing. Still waiting to get high on those endorphins, but I do feel better, I have more stamina and am definitely stronger.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    First off there is no such thing as toning up.
    There’s losing fat, gaining muscle or recomping.

The first two speak for themselves, recomping is where you lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Sounds perfect right? Wrong. Out of the 3 it is by far the hardest thing to do. You must master nutritional intake and timing of those macros around exercise to make it work in the long run. Luckily brand new trainees can recomp during their first 6 months of training. After that window you really have to choose between gaining muscle (along with fat) or losing fat (whilst losing a little muscle).

However we are getting ahead of ourselves. No amount of training will out do a poor diet. Nutritional intake is key in being successful regardless of which goal you choose.
    First you need to work out your ‘maintenance Calorie intake’. This is how much you need to eat to stay exactly as you are.
    Once maintenance has been determined you will then tweak that number depending on your goal.

Muscle gain=250 calories a day extra
    Fat loss =500 calories a day less
    Recomp=Maintenance (six months then pick from the two above)

Those maintenance calories can then be split between food groups. I always recommend 0.7grams of protein per lb of bodywey (actually it’s 1g per f lb of lean body mass but not many are experienced to work that out so will stick to 0.6g of total weight)

Fat- healthy fat from some nuts, extra virgin olive oil, eggs, coconut oil etc. Somewhere in the region of 0.3-0.5g per lb of body weight is a good starting point.

Carbs- The remaining calories can be used for carbohydrates. Again healthy choices are prefect. Foods low on the glycemic index are better, so wholemeal breads and pasta Ofer white etc etc.

Some respond better to low carb high fat diets and others the complete opposite. Above is a good staring point.

Once diet is nailed down then you can move on to exercise.
    Running will not ‘tone’ your body as explained earlier. Running will help you lose fat through energy expenditure with the correct diet but will not add muscle (very small amount to legs not withstanding).
    Resistance training with weights or body weight is the way to add muscle.
    Those runners you see on tv with good muscle development have spent years in the gym.
    Swimming can add a little muscle and help lose fat but again the muscle will be nothing compared to resistance training.

Please don’t us PTs. £499 and a few months is what’s needed to gain a PT qualification. In 20 years of training I can count on one hand the number of PTs that actually know their stuff.
    The amount of online resources these days is more than enough to refer to for exercise form. So many PTs teach dangerous form and it’s scary to watch.
    If you are desperate to throw good money away then make sure someone has qualifications relating to nutrition.

This is the very basics but feel free to ask more.

There is a lot of poor advice on the internet re fitness. This advice however, is very good. billy2shots knows their stuff. I've followed this advice over the past five months alongside a weight-training program. Lost 23lbs in the first 10-12 weeks through training and a calorie deficit and have since put on muscle and increased strength by tweaking my diet.
  • billy2shots
    TheShape wrote: »
    There is a lot of poor advice on the internet re fitness. This advice however, is very good. billy2shots knows their stuff. I've followed this advice over the past five months alongside a weight-training program. Lost 23lbs in the first 10-12 weeks through training and a calorie deficit and have since put on muscle and increased strength by tweaking my diet.

That’s great progress! Looks like you have been smashing it. Keep it up.
  • Supersavera
    Supersavera Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    there are plenty of free apps with different plans and workouts. I use Buttocks Workout - it offers a short programm for legs and butt and other great workouts you can do at home. I love it
    We don’t inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure