PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lucylollipop
    Options
    Awesome start to my low spend new year, went into town, ended up buying coffee and lunch for me and the boyfriend! Also got coffee for the filter machine at home though, and a couple of other bits and bobs, so at least I'll have fuel for while I'm marking all that coursework this week... And I shouldn't need to buy anything until the weekend either :)
    *2016 - the year of the savings account!*

GC: Jan (£300/£179.76) 8 NSD
    Diet: 60lbs this year - so far: 0.5
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All and HNY!

I've not any more spends to report but thought I'd check in with my first attempt at batch-cooking. I used 3lb minced beef padded out with 500g dried lentils and potatoes/veg/passata/beans etc and made 2 Cottage pies, 3 meals of Chilli and 4 meals of pasta bolognese sauce. So 9 meals for 2 adults and 2 children all for £12.21. I think they would easily feed three hungry adults though so that works out at about 45p per head! Also made a big chicken, chick pea and apricot tagine (for tonight) and a chicken and pearl barley stew which should do 2 meals.

I have meals planned for the next 3 weeks and just need milk and fruit to get through til then! :j
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • couldsavemore_2
    Options
    raphanius - love your signature hohow

we are just using up whats left in fridge for next couple of days. had pancakes for breakfast/lunch and making soup from the veg thats not looking its best. then for tea will have left over party food with a bit of fresh salad still have chocs and biscuits that need eating before sat when the diet starts

j
    You can if you think you can .
  • couldsavemore_2
    Options
    raphanius - love your signature how true is that.

we are just using up whats left in fridge for next couple of days. had pancakes for breakfast/lunch and making soup from the veg thats not looking its best. then for tea will have left over party food with a bit of fresh salad still have chocs and biscuits that need eating before sat when the diet starts. will start meal planning from Thursday

just being lazy as well:rotfl:
    You can if you think you can .
  • loveasale
    loveasale Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would like to join GC please!
    There is me and 2 teen lads ( big eaters ) and 2 cats.
    Kids have school dinner money £2 each a day. Do I include that? I know people will say it would be cheaper to have pack lunch but it really was costing a fortune as they are growing boys and I was throwing the odd slices of bread out towards the end of the loaf and ham etc that had gone dry so we tried the dinner money and it suits us all :p
    Without dinner money I would say I spend £80 a week so I'm going to set a target of £150 for Jan
    That will include all food for us , cat food and cleaning products and toiletries for us all! :D
    :money: I will never be rich but I'm happy :rotfl:
  • Annie_99
    Annie_99 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Happy to report my find last night! I had £4 in my purse and on the way home from work my dh phoned to say we were invited to a New year party and we had to take something.
    I went into M&S as I got off the bus and there was a platter of houmous and veg sticks for £1.50 and a man was standing holding a similar platter, same price but with pasta, lentils and rice all lovely padded out with scrummy stuff. He noticed me grabbing the veg platter and asked if I "needed" the one he had. So I smiled and said Yes Please! he handed it to me and said, Have a nice time at your party and Happy New Year!!!
    So 2 platters only cost me £3 and I used the other quid for milk!
    Today is a NSD and Ive just found £2.40 in my jeans before I washed them! Woop!
    0/450
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Today I have a leg of lamb from the freezer for a big roast dinner for the family. DS2 didn't manage to buy me the sack of potatoes I wanted yesterday but bought a bag of spuds from MrTs. He won't take any money for them so I still have the cash to spend on a sack if I can find any.

So I still have £97 of my £120 budget :D
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • forever_saving
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone!
    Nsd here. I am hoping for at least another two nsd's before i have to go shopping. Lunch today was roast lamb with potatoes and vegetables. The leftover lamb, which has been bagged up will be made into a curry. We will probably have that Thursday as i have some mushrooms that will need using up by then. I have really got to try to use everything up as we have to try and save as much money as we can this year.
    Good luck to everyone else.
    FS
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone and a Happy New Year! I'd like to be in this months challenge with a budget of £400.

I've made a start by meal planning for the month and doing a complete freezer inventory. I'm also cooking and freezing individual meals with the WW points on to help with my diet. I've just cooked a kilo of brown rice too and individually bagged it up into 10 bags to freeze for another day.

It's a beautiful sunny day here in Devon and it was nice to see people out and about..:D.I get so fed up with grey and wet days. Hoping this year will be a good one for us all whether we are saving the pounds cash or losing the pounds flab!
  • Karb
    Karb Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone. Can I join in again please?

My months always run 1st day to last day of the Calendar month in this Challenge so today is Day 1 for me.

I've got quite a lot of stuff already in the house that's left over from Christmas, so I'm going to aim for £100 in January please.
    Debt free since December 2015. It can be done

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport