PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Section 21 notice after 8 years tenancy

We have lived in this house for 8 years, initially on an Assured Shorthold tenancy for the first six months, then it just rolled on (statutory periodic tenancy I think?) We never had another fixed term.

Always paid the rent on time. No contact with the landlord, everything through the letting agents. They didn't bother us much, annual inspections. Landlord very slow to carry out maintenance, only did what he absolutely had to. Letting agents gave us a vague impression that he was elderly and unable to afford necessary work on the house, so I sympathised to a certain extent. However I have just discovered that he is in fact younger than I am, lives in a prosperous area (I know the road well) and is the director of a property company, so presumably will own several properties. He should also know how to be a decent landlord!

We have just had an absolutely terrible year, a recent family bereavement, also my husband had to leave his job due to stress and pressure making him unwell. He has the promise of other work starting in September.

My husband had just had his last day at work and getting ready to finally relax a bit over the summer.when we had a phone call - the landlord wants to sell.

I agreed their 'sales colleague' could come round to value the house. He insisted on taking photos, even though I told him the house was not in a fit state. He assured me the house would not be going on the market immediately. He lied though (guess he couldn't help himself, that's what estate agents do, right?) as the next day the house was on Rightmove. The day after that I got a section 21 in the post.

Then for the last week there have been phone calls left on the answer machine from the agents every day. We were actually away for the week, as people often are at this time of the year. They shouldn't be surprised about that.

I do understand that the house belongs to the landlord, and so he has a right to sell. I just find it pretty disgusting that after over 7 years of regularly paying the rent and living there quietly they think they can chuck us out on 2 months notice. Yes, I know that legally they can do this. But it is just so inconsiderate. He must have known he wanted to sell, a heads up would have been appreciated. And as my partner is between jobs the timing is dreadful for us.

I just want to be left alone in peace over the summer, and also to have more time to find alternative accommodation. It is unlikely we would be settled somewhere else by the date they give, even without our current job situation. I'm still in shock over the bereavement and everything else that has happened this year. I really don't want to be spending my summer doing viewings either, or at least not yet.

What is the best way to achieve 1. more time in the property 1. no viewings, does anyone know?

Comments

45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is it a coincidence about the 8 year tenancy or is this your landlord?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6023220
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    Just ignore the ea. Change locks and start looking for a new home.
  • JuneBug78 wrote: »
    I just find it pretty disgusting that after over 7 years of regularly paying the rent and living there quietly they think they can chuck us out on 2 months notice. Yes, I know that legally they can do this.

Legally they cannot “Chuck you out”, they have to go to court to end the tenancy. Assuming section 21 is valid of course, if not they have to start again.
  • JuneBug78
    JuneBug78 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Sorry everyone that took time to reply. I unexpectedly had to go away for a short while.
    No it is not any of the landlords mentioned, that's just a coincidence lol.
    Went to see my local council for advice, they agree that we don't have to go immediately after the two months.
    However they think we should allow viewings as it's written in our tenancy agreement, so if we don't the agents could give us a section 8 for being in breach of the tenancy. What does anyone think of this?
    Really don't want to spend the summer tied down to their viewing schedule . I don't care how long it takes him to sell! Why should he have any consideration given to him when he's given us none?
  • richyj
    richyj Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    At the end of the day you dont own the house, so you have to do what is legally right. If you wanted security after the initial contract why didn't you insist on another contract ? and so on....

If he was slow with maintenance why didn't you bring this up at the time ? After all you are paying to stay in a habitable home.... what were the maintenance issues ? were they wants or needs ?

Check your tenancy agreement and ask the estate agent to group the viewings into one day or one evening a week.
  • JuneBug78
    JuneBug78 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Yes, of course, I realise he is the owner and has the right to sell, but it is very inconsiderate to give so little notice after we have lived there so long, always paying the rent on time. He must have known he wanted to sell. I thought it was better to be on a rolling contract as initially we thought we would only be here temporarily. Also didn't want to pay fees for a new contract each year/six months! I always thought that we would be the ones giving notice. Besides, a fixed term wouldn't have stopped him giving notice eventually.

The maintenance issues, well the main thing is that a new boiler was needed once and a complete overhaul of the central heating system. He left us over one winter with only a couple of radiators working, it took about 6 months before a new boiler was installed. The Letting Agent gave us the vague impression that he was elderly and unable to afford the new boiler. Now I have discovered this is not in fact the case, he is the director of a property company, so I don't have much sympathy for him. Yes I made a fuss about the boiler at the time, to no avail. Every year on the annual inspection the representative from the letting agents would suggest a number of things that should be done, eg new fencing (their suggestion) but he never wanted to carry them out.
    I was just hopeful that I could refuse viewings at least for a while, as I often see on here and similar sites people opining that the tenants' right to 'quiet enjoyment' overrides terms set out in a tenancy agreement. But if I have to have the viewings I will certainly restrict them, not having a flow of people coming day after day.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Junebug78, regarding viewings, i would give the letting agent a selection of times for them to arrange viewings for, but worth showing some reasonableness ie not 4:30 - 4:50 wed, thur and sat.

The other point is that you need to be careful about what you have on display, you might need to "tidy away" private information such as bank statements etc.

Now I'm definitely not saying you should tidy the place so as to emphasise any poor repairs or anything else the landlord in his enthusiasm has missed...
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family