Delay repay and consequential loss

I was due to travel on South Western Railway last December but engineering works overran and so all trains were cancelled. I had booked through The Trainline and I applied for and received a full refund of the ticket cost (about £33). So far so good.

However:

The Trainline would not refund my booking fee (about 75p) and
As I had already printed out my tickets at the station they required me to post them to them recorded delivery (about £2.00) before they would refund. They told me to take it up with South Western Railway.

Not huge I know but I don't see why I should be out of pocket for something that was not my fault. I sent a delay repay claim to Southern rail and it has been rejected: "We’ve rejected your claim because you haven’t used your ticket to travel. This means you’re entitled to a full refund from the original retailer."

So where does this leave me - can I reclaim and if so who from??

Comments

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It doesn't help with your problem this time but if for the future you book with any train company you won't have a booking fee and you will be able to scan them and send if you need to provide proof. This is what I did with Southwestern trains last time I got a train cancelled on me.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The cost to Trainline is the same whether you use the ticket or not. You used their website, used their resources, are using their resources now in trying to get a refund.

Far easier to write it off and tell everyone you know not to use Trainline which charges for something which is free via train operators websites.

BTW of you choose not travel its not a delay repay claim (which is managed by operators and is different depending on operator) you have a right to a full refund through National Conditions of Travel which applies to all operators.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure