Received a Child Maintenance calculation of zero

I got a letter from the Child Maintenance Service today to say my ex had started working and therefore they are recalculating the maintenance amount. Strangely though it was recalculated to zero (from being zero previously as ex was on benefits).

Figures are this: 130p/w income, no factors to affect the income, calculated at reduced rate due to income, 1 child, 52 nights overnight stays, weekly amount: zero.

the gov.uk calculator tells me this should be 10 a week. Anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't be?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    the calculation, unless it's changed is:

Gross weekly: x13%, -1/7, which I make £14.49

(assuming £130 is gross)
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    the calculation, unless it's changed is:

Gross weekly: x13%, -1/7, which I make £14.49

(assuming £130 is gross)

This is wrong. On an income of £130 a week, the reduced rate would apply (and the percentage for one child on basic rate is 12, not 13%).

So the calculation would be:
    Income over £100 = £30 x 17% = £5.10 + £7 flat rate due for the first £100 income = £12.10
    (£12.10/7) x 6 = £10.37

I would suggest calling CMS - it sound like they have made a mistake somewhere. Ask for a mandatory reconsideration of their decision, if necessary.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/672432/how-we-work-out-child-maintenance.pdf
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
  • Error i do apologose. Posted on wrong forum ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport