£100 for closing first direct account?

Options
So about 6 months ago I switched one of my throwaway current accounts to first direct through MSE and got £125 switch bonus.
Now I remember reading on their website that if after 6 months I will want to close that account, they will pay additional £100 as a goodbye. Has anyone had any luck with that?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    Options
    Everyone who has complied with the "goodbye" T&Cs will have received the £100.

For example, have you been paying at least £1,000 per month in for at least 6 months?
  • ProTofik
    Options
    Yes, I do get £1000 in each month.
    Does switching to another bank here count as closing for them? It is rare for me to ask such questions as I normally find the answer in T&C myself, but in this case it isn't clear to me.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    ProTofik wrote: »
    Does switching to another bank here count as closing for them?
    Yes it does. Indeed, they say they'll "help" you move bank.

Give them a ring. They'll either add the £100 before the switch (ie once they receive the CASS instruction) or send you a cheque afterwards. Please come back and post which one they do, in case someone else asks the same question.
  • ProTofik
    Options
    Sure, will do. I just need to make sure when my 6 months is definitely up.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To qualify, you must have paid at least £1,000 a month into your account for six months and not have banked with us before, as well as switched to us initially using the Current Account Switch Service. You need to contact us to let us know you're unhappy within 12 months of opening your account, and you'll get the money within 28 days of the criteria being met. If you do decide to leave, all other products you hold with first direct will also need to be closed.
  • ProTofik
    ProTofik Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OK I was lazy and only today got myself to call to close this account.
    So to summarize, in April 2018 I opened an account, and switched my 1 month old halifax account which I opened with the sole intention to do the switch. I received £125 for the switch.

Ever since I have been transfering about a £1000 each month in and out to avoid monthly account fee, and never really used this account for anything.

I called today to close the account and asked about the £100, which I was confirmed I will receive once the account closes in few days. I just had to provide sort code and current account number of my external account.

So there we go, £225 earned.
  • BeckyAP
    BeckyAP Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    See my current account with them was closed today.
    I made sure I rang and asked about the £100 leaving T&Cs and the adviser confirmed over the phone I qualified.
    However the balance brought over to the new account didn't include the expected £100.
    Sent a secure message complaint this morning, will see what they say!
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    If you have savings it's worth keeping open for the 5% Reg Saver - you can earn much more than £100 long term
  • radoslaff
    radoslaff Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have savings it's worth keeping open for the 5% Reg Saver - you can earn much more than £100 long term

Of course you can always re-open the current account a few months after closing it and use the benefits of the 5% Reg Saver again.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    radoslaff wrote: »
    Of course you can always re-open the current account a few months after closing it and use the benefits of the 5% Reg Saver again.

Assuming First Direct will have you back:cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure