Holiday Property Bond

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 July 2018 at 10:40AM
    When I looked at it I worked out:
    For popular school holiday times-astronomical investment needed but then user charge was attractive.
    Outside popular times the investment was still considerable but then the user charge looked very expensive.
    The 'user charge' is £460 per week for 2 bedroom accomodation.
    Not good value at either times.
  • Seronera
    Seronera Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2018 at 1:10PM
    There is a trend to these threads. The vast majority of HPB Bondholders say they are more than happy with what they have, and know what it is they have. Others who decide its not for them occupy their time telling us what a mistake we have made and warn others off.

I don't know the exact number, but the HPB has somewhere between 40 and 50,000 Bondholders. My bond number is under 4000 from 1987, so you can see it has grown quite substantially in 30 years for what is a niche product. What is also extraordinary is how few people cash it in, and how few complaints you hear from bondholders. So what is it they know that you clearly don't ?

I've never tried to 'sell' the HPB to anybody. Its up to them to do their research and decide if it is for them. All I will do is answer questions honestly from my own long experience with the bond. If you don't 'get it' then fair enough, its not for you. It is for me and lots of others and I'm pretty happy with it thank you for the most part. I've not had a bad holiday with HPB in over 30 years in England, Wales, Scotland,Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy and France. What more am I supposed to say ?

I paid £150 for four days camping at a Camping and Caravan Club site in Perth for three of us in my own tent a month ago (it was work believe it or not) Its a lovely camp site and all, but it makes HPB look pretty good value to me !

Tim
  • fred246
    I have never had a bad holiday at a Hilton hotel. Imagine if Hilton said "the only way you can visit a Hilton is if you pay us £30k and then you can visit a Hilton for a week once a year. You still pay the hotel each time". I would say "Thank you but there are millions of other hotels. I don't really want to pay £30k to be restricted to Hiltons. Tim will say "I like Hilton's where do I sign?". Both valid arguments but not for me.
    43722 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No,but just because the idea does not work for you, that does not make it a bad concept. I have never had money spare to put into HPB, and i doubt I would invest if I did have funds. But I have family members who are investors (long term) and I have enjoyed several breaks at HPB because of this. For them, the HPB offered an assurance of quality provision, whereas independent holiday lets had proven to be hit and miss in quality. One particular family member worked long and hard building up a business, and just wanted to know that when it was time for a break, that break would be of an assured quality. HPB is not a concept for everybody, but it is a million miles away from timeshare, and it is unfair to make such comparisons.
  • fred246
    In order to assure the quality of our holiday property we use online reviews. Spending thousands on a poor investment would be another way.
    Online reviews can certainly be a gauge of customer satisfaction, if they are used advisedly. I have used them to check out other holiday venues. It is snide of you, in my opinion, to write that an alternative way of quality assurance checking would be to spend thousands on a poor investment. The HPB may not be for you, that is clear. I can not imagine either that I would invest in it, even if I had the funds. That is a personal choice on which we can agree. But that is a long way from your sneering dismissal of the HPB offer. I have been fortunate to holiday at several HPB properties without personal cost. I can see exactly what they offer to individuals and to their families. The apartments I have stayed in have been thoroughly clean and very well maintained, with a range of activities on offer. I can see how HPB Holiday is an attractive option for some people, even though it is not for all of us.
  • fred246
    I have been fortunate to holiday at several Airbnb appartments. The appartments I have stayed in have been thoroughly cleaned and well maintained with a range of activities to offer. I have never paid as much as an HPB user charge and I didn't have to pay Airbnb thousands to join.
    It is clear that you are only interested in trolling on this matter, so I will leave you to it.
  • Seronera
    Seronera Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Dear Fred246

I too have been 'fortunate' to use airbnb, package holidays, sailing holidays,camp sites and the HPB as well.
    You really havn't lived have you..;)
  • fred246
    This thread reminds me of someone I knew who used to do all their shopping every week at Marks and Spencers. It cost them a small fortune every week. I kept suggesting things like going there every 3rd week or only buying things that were especially nice at Marks and Spencers. Their reply was always "The food is good at Marks and Spencers". It wasn't clever or money saving but that's what they wanted to do. HPB isn't clever or money saving but if you want to do it then do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure