Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    The Seasoned (Frozen) Vegetables "Italian Style" in Lidl are very definitely seasoned. I thought that they would just taste like vegetables with barely detectable flavour. Wrong. I left them cooking slowly in a frypan, and returned to a cloud of garlic fumes around the pan. They are very strongly flavoured - quite salty. I think they will be useful in cooking as they will add flavour to things. But, I could imagine someone who likes more subtle flavours to not like them.
    I was looking for some frozen veggies to roast and add to couscous, and this sounds like just the thing.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2017 at 2:03AM
    Options
    Can't see why the guy moaned about the 1000 scans per hour. He would have know about it as he filled in the application form. It forms part of a question asked in 'what would you do' candidate screening section
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    As somebody else pointed out, it's typically cheaper now to buy single bananas at 11p each rather than a pack. The single ones are often pretty big.
    The Aldi 72p Bananas are okay providing you choose the largest available rather than just picking up any pack. They sell in 5 banana packs but the sizes vary by quite a large margin in my experience. For example a relative purchased some for me as I cannot carry them due to a broken ankle and what I received weighed only around 800grams whereas the ones I choose, the larger banana packs weigh up to around 1.25 Kg. 72p for 800 grams of bananas is 90p/Kg which is more expensive than most supermarkets ATM. Whereas 1.25Kg equals 58p/Kg which I doubt you can beat anywhere else.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    Can't see why the guy moaned about the 1000 scans per hour. He would have know about it as he filled in the application form. It forms part of a question asked in 'what would you do' candidate screening section
    I actually asked the girl on the till whether this was true about the 1000 scans an hour (it was quiet when I went so there was no one behind me). Apparently its 1100 scans an hour but its an advisory because of queues rather than an order.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Aldi 72p Bananas are okay providing you choose the largest available rather than just picking up any pack. They sell in 5 banana packs but the sizes vary by quite a large margin in my experience. For example a relative purchased some for me as I cannot carry them due to a broken ankle and what I received weighed only around 800grams whereas the ones I choose, the larger banana packs weigh up to around 1.25 Kg. 72p for 800 grams of bananas is 90p/Kg which is more expensive than most supermarkets ATM. Whereas 1.25Kg equals 58p/Kg which I doubt you can beat anywhere else.

They've now increased the price of single bananas from 11p to 12p. FWIW, the three I bought yesterday weigh 762g, so 47p/kg.
    Stompa
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Agree - PICK the BIGGEST.

Went up 4p to 72p/kg the same time as ASDA (been 68p for years - 5? 7? or longer even ?)

Anyway decided to see what was on offer after ASDA's increase and found the individual 11p ones.
    Decided I wanted about 1 kilo's worth

Picked 6 (on the basis 66p was the "right" amount) but they were HUGE.

Weighed them when I got home 1.925kg :rotfl:

Each banana was well over 300g :D

Only way to buy them :j
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Payless_2
    Payless_2 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know whether Aldi or Lidl sell naan breads? I try to do the majority of my shopping at these shops but I don't drive and it's a pain when they don't stock what I need
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Payless wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether Aldi or Lidl sell naan breads? I try to do the majority of my shopping at these shops but I don't drive and it's a pain when they don't stock what I need

Yea ALDI does. I get the garlic n coriander ones :)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    quoia wrote: »
    Agree - PICK the BIGGEST.

Went up 4p to 72p/kg the same time as ASDA (been 68p for years - 5? 7? or longer even ?)

Anyway decided to see what was on offer after ASDA's increase and found the individual 11p ones.
    Decided I wanted about 1 kilo's worth

Picked 6 (on the basis 66p was the "right" amount) but they were HUGE.

Weighed them when I got home 1.925kg :rotfl:

Each banana was well over 300g :D

Only way to buy them :j

What's the point in buying the biggest bananas unless you're going to use a whole one? It's not as though you can keep half of one for another day lol
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never once had any banana left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts