Help with Pet Insurance 'cover types'

Options
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all ok!

It's time for me to renew my pet insurance for my best pal, my pooch. However, I was hoping you guys could give me some help/advice on which 'cover type' to choose from?

There are 3x options available to me as 'accident only' doesn't really appeal to me;
1. Time Limited
2. Max Benefit
3. Lifetime

My scenario is that my dog is 10 & 1/2 years old and as much as it will kill me to say, will probably only live another 2 - 3 years I fear. However, that said I still want the very best for him as he is like a kid to me.

So I was hoping you could advise if its worthwhile investing in lifetime insurance? This is the most expensive to probably the most comprehensive.

Appreciate this is all down to personal opinion of you all I just wanted to get some other views on the matter.

At the moment, his insurance is £150 a month and renew cost is £250 as he has arthritis. He doesn't let his condition stop him from being his usual playful self so I am going to 'self insure' his medication and hydrotherapy instead of having to pay £250 a month.

Appreciate any sort of opinion you guys may have. Thank you :-)

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What scenarios/ conditions are you wishing to insure against?

What leads you to believe your furball won't be with you in four years? Something your vet has said?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • jamiegee
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    What scenarios/ conditions are you wishing to insure against?

What leads you to believe your furball won't be with you in four years? Something your vet has said?

Hi! Yeah the vet has said that over the next couple of years the arthritis will get worse and will start to affect how he gets up and moves about. He said the next couple of years is all about making him as happy as can be, making his life as enjoyable as possible.

In terms of what conditions, I just want to make sure he is covered if he gets any illness outwith the arthritis i.e. (God forbid) any cancer. Or if he gets run over however unlikely that may be. Or attacked when out with his dog walker etc.

What do you reckon?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    While lifetime cover is the best at his age maximum benefit may be more appropriate, depending on the maximum amount.

Time limited can catch you out of it is an ongoing condition.

Make sure you read any policy document carefully- not the policy summary- to ensure you know exactly what you are covered for.

Some polices limit the amount you can claim for one condition despite having a large overall limit.

Check the amount of the excess as this can be increased for older pets, with a percentage pf the bill added to the fixed amount.
  • jamiegee
    Options
    Ok great! Thanks very much for you advice, really appreciate it!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jamiegee wrote: »
    Hi! Yeah the vet has said that over the next couple of years the arthritis will get worse and will start to affect how he gets up and moves about. He said the next couple of years is all about making him as happy as can be, making his life as enjoyable as possible.

In terms of what conditions, I just want to make sure he is covered if he gets any illness outwith the arthritis i.e. (God forbid) any cancer. Or if he gets run over however unlikely that may be. Or attacked when out with his dog walker etc.

What do you reckon?

I reckon your furball made a smart move in choosing you. :) My girl (cat) has osteoarthritis too. It is hard isn't it?

It depends what the difference is between each level, cost and cover. Definitely read the small print.

Maybe chat to your vet (face-to-face or e-mail) confirm you are on the same page with likely timescales? That might help guide your choice.

What surgeries or other intensive treatments you would try might be different if he has two, four, six or eight years of bounce and slobber to give you. :think:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport