Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• I'm always scared to tumble things that say you shouldn't on the label as I can't afford to replace things that get ruined. I'm going to try and never use the tumbler again as we're getting used to crispy towels :). I feel like I'm in a competition with NPow3r. They want me to give them more money, I'm determined not to :).

DH spoke to his sister today and it's possible she may be able to put a bit of work our way as her boss seems interested in what our business does. Fingers crossed.

Are NPower still being a pain even after you've submitted your own accurate readings?:eek:.

With towels I dry them on the line whenever possible and then just give them a few minutes in the tumbler. It softens them up nicely without costing much as they're already 90% dry when they go in. I hate washing and drying towels:(. We had some lovely ones but we've used them for so long they are too thin now to dry us especially after a shower. When I cleared out Mum's home after she passed away I brought all her towels home as no one else in the immediate family wanted them. A lot were totally unused but SIL can't tolerate anything that isn't colour-co-ordinated and she's brought up her married children to have the same views. Nice if they can afford it I suppose. My gain though.

The problem is a lot of Mum's brand new, top of the range towels are white. I don't see why SIL etc didn't want them, white co-ordinates with everything as far as I'm concerned. They're gorgeous but a nightmare to keep white and fluffy:eek:. When I wash them I have to use the hot wash:(, otherwise I economise with cooler temperatures.

Fingers crossed for the new work coming your way soon.
  • Sorry you couldn't do your usual Saturday schedule today.

Well done on your steps. You do so well with your walking :)

I hope you get the extra work.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,817
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Positive positive vibes for the extra work.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Are NPower still being a pain even after you've submitted your own accurate readings?:eek:.

With towels I dry them on the line whenever possible and then just give them a few minutes in the tumbler. It softens them up nicely without costing much as they're already 90% dry when they go in. I hate washing and drying towels:(. We had some lovely ones but we've used them for so long they are too thin now to dry us especially after a shower. When I cleared out Mum's home after she passed away I brought all her towels home as no one else in the immediate family wanted them. A lot were totally unused but SIL can't tolerate anything that isn't colour-co-ordinated and she's brought up her married children to have the same views. Nice if they can afford it I suppose. My gain though.

The problem is a lot of Mum's brand new, top of the range towels are white. I don't see why SIL etc didn't want them, white co-ordinates with everything as far as I'm concerned. They're gorgeous but a nightmare to keep white and fluffy:eek:. When I wash them I have to use the hot wash:(, otherwise I economise with cooler temperatures.

Fingers crossed for the new work coming your way soon.

Thanks Beanie :). I haven't rung NPow3r yet. I'm going to ring them on Monday with yet another meter reading.

I think white towels are nice and they do go with everything.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sorry you couldn't do your usual Saturday schedule today.

Well done on your steps. You do so well with your walking :)

I hope you get the extra work.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Positive positive vibes for the extra work.

Thanks both :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Shame you didn't get to do your usual saunter today, but your seaside ramble sounded interesting - bar the rain! Glad you got some good snaps.

I have only white towels and bedding. They always look so fresh - mind you there's only me using them!:D. I have a washer/dryer as I have no room for a separate tumbler and I must admit it doesn't dry as well as a stand alone model. I only use it for towels and they always come out a bit damp still. I have to use a clothes horse for my laundry as I haven't anywhere to dry outside but it tends to be a warm flat so things dry quickly.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • I have a tumble dryer that I try not to use,but this week I had no choice,I hang as much as I can on the radiators and quite a lot of our clothes can't be tumble dried so they go on the clothes horse,I've keep reading about a heated clothes horse from Lakeland that are apparently cheap to run, if my dryer packs up I might buy one of those instead
    I think when DD eventually moves out I won't need a tumble dryer at all which will be good,one of my friends has got rid of hers and when it's raining she hangs things like duvet covers over her living room door overnight,she says it's usually dry by the morning
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • I have a dryer, but do use my clothes horse and radiators a fair bit as well. I am becoming more conscious of using the dryer now. I had no idea it costs so much.

Fingers crossed for the work coming in Hairy. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Shame you didn't get to do your usual saunter today, but your seaside ramble sounded interesting - bar the rain! Glad you got some good snaps.

I have only white towels and bedding. They always look so fresh - mind you there's only me using them!:D. I have a washer/dryer as I have no room for a separate tumbler and I must admit it doesn't dry as well as a stand alone model. I only use it for towels and they always come out a bit damp still. I have to use a clothes horse for my laundry as I haven't anywhere to dry outside but it tends to be a warm flat so things dry quickly.
    I have a tumble dryer that I try not to use,but this week I had no choice,I hang as much as I can on the radiators and quite a lot of our clothes can't be tumble dried so they go on the clothes horse,I've keep reading about a heated clothes horse from Lakeland that are apparently cheap to run, if my dryer packs up I might buy one of those instead
    I think when DD eventually moves out I won't need a tumble dryer at all which will be good,one of my friends has got rid of hers and when it's raining she hangs things like duvet covers over her living room door overnight,she says it's usually dry by the morning
    Nicnak wrote: »
    I have a dryer, but do use my clothes horse and radiators a fair bit as well. I am becoming more conscious of using the dryer now. I had no idea it costs so much.

Fingers crossed for the work coming in Hairy. x

We haven't got our heating on and I'm not using the tumbler at all, so you can imagine how difficult it is to dry four adults' clothes, towels and bedding on ONE clothes horse. Let's just say that I'm massively behind with the washing :(.

But the clothes horse I'm saving up for will hold several machine loads and has flat areas for drying woollies, so that will make all the difference.

I could hang things over doors to dry, but I'd have to dust the top of them first :o.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 November 2018 at 1:40PM
    I developed a sore throat in the night, have a bit of a runny nose and feel colder than usual, so I think I've caught the cold that was going around the school :(.

We're going to the Christmas Fair at the NT place that stepdad volunteers for this morning. We can't afford to buy anything so we'll just look around. We're going to give moral support to stepdad who is on car park duty all day. After that we'll be at home for the rest of the day and will do some work on my business.

It's not raining yet, but it fooled me that way yesterday :eek:.

Have a nice Sunday everyone :).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure