PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can shed be taken down?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I doubt if it's just the visual impact that is causing concern.

As it's much larger than a place adequate to store a couple of bikes and tools for a small garden, the neighbour probably envisages other uses, such as a workshop with power tools being used, possibly on a frequent basis.

They might even think it's going to be used for some kind of home enterprise.

These fears may well be groundless, but you did nothing to allay them, so the result was a complaint.
  • xylophone wrote: »
    Did you deliberately omit details of the dimensions when you asked permission? This seems rather excessive for a couple of bikes and some garden tools?

Are you surprised?

I am guessing that the HA assumed that when you said "shed" = you meant "shed" (ie a standard size one).

I've just been out and measured mine I had installed and it's 7' x 5' (ie 35 square feet) and it sounds as if my garden is rather bigger than yours too.

Yours is 140 square feet - ie massive!
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Wind up, calling it
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd at least be expecting some compensation if I were you. If you've received written authorisation allowing you to build a shed, and they have then reneged upon that after you have purchased and built it then they have to accept at least some of the incurred costs surely.

If the highest point of the shed is only 7.5 feet tall, the neighbours would have to be seriously short for their views to be being removed by it (unless it was their view into another houses' windows).
  • It looks to most of us as if the "reneging" was by OP. They were the one that used the word "shed" - when actually they meant a much bigger building that they hoped would get away with being called a shed.

It was a try-on. It didn't work. End of....
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

It was a try-on. It didn't work. End of....

When people say "End-of," I take that as a linguistic sign of doubt.

If you were sure, you'd not feel a need to say it. Anyway, I'm not sure.

On the web site, the building is listed under sheds, but it's also specifically referred-to as a workshop. What distinguishes a workshop from a shed is something others can argue about if they wish, but I'm not convinced a bullet proof distinction can be achieved.

I feel that the if the HA wanted to impose limits, they should have stated what they were when the enquiry was made.
  • Originally Posted by Chihiro85

and then be asked to take it down after we install the thing!
    Thing, being the operative word. Can you post some pics showing it's impact on the surroundings?
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    I feel that the if the HA wanted to impose limits, they should have stated what they were when the enquiry was made.
    I do agree, but maybe the HA were fooled into a false sense of security by the OPs request . .
    . . putting a shed up as we needed to store bikes and garden tools
    :rotfl:

Maybe they didn't realise 'garden tools' included a John Deere tractor :D
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What if the op had asked if he could build a pond and the answer was yes, so a 10ft by 14ft 6ft deep koi pond with waterfalls and air pumps going should be acceptable,

If the the HA and the developer say it is OK they cannot change their minds, the conditions should be clear and unambiguous to avoid confusion.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,140
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It seems to me the OP's somewhat disingenuous use of the word "shed" was the ambiguity.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure