My Over 50's Spending Diary

Comments

• Chanie, I find that planning ahead for the big events in your life or your children's lives is the only way to ensure that they happen.

My 25 year old daughter is amazed that I am willing to spend £500 or more on a birthday meal, but your children only have one 18th birthday and I want my son's to be really special surrounded by family as the memories will be priceless for him. :D ( Not to mention the rest of us). Also she is forgetting that I will have my Tesco Clubcard Boost codes which will take just over £200 off the bill, so I will not be spending £500 cash on the day.

Judging by what a fantastic time we all had on his 16th birthday, I am sure this birthday will be just as enjoyable. :D

He is my youngest child and I could not afford family celebrations like this for my other 3 children on their milestone birthdays, so this is my last chance. My youngest son likes being in the family spotlight, so this is really fun for him and he is looking forward to his 18th birthday celebration meal, so every pound will be well spent.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Woolite has arrived in the sticks!!!:D
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 February 2018 at 12:27PM
    So happy for you Maman :j

I bought 2 X Big Macs & Medium Fries for £3.98 with vouchers on the back of 2 Oyster receipts which saved me £4.38 ( I have no more vouchers now so McDonald's is off the menu now) :rotfl:

I got a Smart Water Kit from the Metropolitan Police today worth £70. :T

When they turned up on my doorstep today and explained why they were here, I was keen to sign up. Once I have used the Smart Water on valuable items in my home, in the event of my home being subject to a burglary, my items would them be traceable back to me if they were ever recovered. :)

Current total = £1887.33
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    maman well done on the woolite.

Sugar you initially confused me with the smart water, but I had a quick check and it looks useful. I think you should mark up your stash of woolite - lots of people seem to be interested in it.

Its great that you will be able to celebrate your sons birthday in style. Many families dont get the opportunity to come together like that, so its good that you can do this for everyone and something you will all remember for a long time to come.
  • Chanie,

I had never heard of Smart Water, before the police constable explained. I went through the booklet last night, but I will have to wait until next week to use it on my valuables.

I did my daughter's 21st family party at home. I cooked from 7am to 7pm :eek: until I was thoroughly fed up of cooking. I spent so much money on food and drink that I have since preferred to have the family come together in a restaurant. It costs less and it does not involve me doing lots of preparation and cooking and being stressed out and tired on the day. :D
  • I got £4.34 Quidco Cashback. This time it was all from my eBay purchases. I am so glad that Quidco added eBay UK in December 2017 as I do so much of my online shopping from eBay and now I can also get some cashback on the bargain prices that I pay for my purchases :T

I saved £17.86 on this week's online grocery shopping with special offers and price reductions :D

I bought 2 X Bic Writing Sets for my 2 granddaughter's birthdays in September and October for £10 from Tesco Direct which saved me £26 and I also got free next day delivery as I am a Delivery Saver customer and I had spent £10 worth £5.95 :D

I am looking forward to my weekend in Birminghan, as I have a budget of £100 so I do not need to be so MSE for this weekend, I can simply concentrate on having a very good time with my sisters :beer::D:j

Current total = £1941.48
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I hope you have a nice time in Birmingham this weekend. Will you be taking any of your books to read on the commute?
  • Chanie I took the book I was currently reading and I did not end up reading even one word of the book throughout the whole weekend, so I could have left it at home :rotfl:

Littlewoods Clearence via eBay Bargains: :j:T:D

I decided to buy some more items to put away as gifts for family members for their birthdays

1. Reebok Inner Bra Vest £4.99 saved £33.01

2. Karl Lagerfield Long Sleeved Party Top age 16 £12.99 saved £64.01

3. So Fabulous Curve Cold Shoulder Printed Blouse £4.99 saved £30.01

4 North Sails Keith Crew Neck Jumper in Navy Size S £10.89 saved £88.11

5. V By Very Double Frill Neck Bardot Top in Raspberry size 14 £2.42 saved £19.58 ( I bought this top for myself now I could find it discounted because I had always wanted it)

6. Coca Cola Just Be Cool Pyjamas size 10-12 £8.55 save £19.45

7. Puma by Rihanna Bra in Black size 12 £6.50 saved £43.50

I got a £5 discount because I had spent more than £20 and I also got a £19.75 discount on P & P costs

Total Paid = £54.23

Total Savings = £297.67

2nd Order

1. V By Very Long Sleeved Oxford Men's Shirt in Blue size S £3.99 saved £23.01

2. Boys Adidas Track Suit age 3-4 £17.99 saved £14.01

I got a £5 discount because I had spent more than £20 and a £3.95 discount on P & P costs

Total spend = £21.98

Total savings = £45.97

3rd Order

1. V By Very Nautical Harem Lounge Set in Navy size 10-12 £6.50 saved £25.50

2. V By Very Stripe Cropped Pyjamas in Grey size 10-12 £3.06 saved £22.94

I got a £3.95 discount on P & P costs

Total spend = £9.06

Total savings = £52.39

3 X hopper bus journeys £2.25 (15th Feb)

2 X hopper bus journeys £1.50 (16th Feb & 18th Feb)

My sisters bought me 2 bottles of water on our night out in Birmingham which saved me £3

My sister H paid for my Uber to the train station £18 and she also paid £15 towards my replacement train ticket home from Birmingham, because I stupidly missed my original train which was a non transferable ticket

My sister M paid for the taxi from the train station to my sister H's home that we shared £18.60. My sister had kindly waited for my train to arrive in Birmingham so that we could share a taxi, but she would not allow me to pay even though my train was delayed by more than 30 minutes so she ended up having a lot longer wait for me in the train station than we had planned on

Current total = £2395.76
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi SUgarbaby.......

I am loving your thread. So many tips and ideas. Thank you for sharing.

You have given me so many ideas and I have decided to follow your example and start stockpiling a bit on bargains and also to plan ahead for Christmas and birthday presents the way you do.

Your savings are fantastic.

I am feeling inspired. ;)
  • LL I am glad that you have found something of use in my spending diary

Chanie, I found what looks like the right 9ct gold bracelet for my sister's 60th birthday present on eBay today for less than £92 including the post and packaging costs, so I am really pleased, as my top budget was £120. :j:D The links are really unusual, so hopefully my sister H will never come across another bracelet like it. I will give it a professional clean when it arrives in the post and buy a new box for it :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback