PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• £9.52 spend today on essentials, I'm not shopping again until next week!! :p
    JAN - £208.56/£250 NSD-8
    FEB - £121.51/£200 NSD- 1
    Penny a day challenge #001: £200.79/£667.95
  • Spent £15.20 today had to keep putting things back. Apart from milk and bananas that should do us till next Wednesday.
    Jan GC £57.26/£50
    Feb GC £17.06/£60
    Jan - Mar WLC 6/11
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post

Hi everyone! I've missed this place after being so busy in December and just not having time to post! I went over budget but again spends were nowhere near past years so I'm not too worried.

My January actually started on 21 Dec (!) and runs to 26 Jan (!!) and I'm already feeling the pinch in all my budgets and sadly it's not going to get any easier with 2 meals out for my birthday! I'm going to have to be creative! My freezer is well stocked with about 7 dinners ready to go, just add veg, plus tons of vegan "meat" and a few random other bits and bobs. My fridge is still full of veg for this week and my lunches are sorted with a roast veg/chickpea/bulgar wheat combo I made yesterday. But that still leaves 3 weeks so I need to be clever! I really don't have the spare cash to go over this month so I need to go a lotmore careful than I usually do!

I also have to do a trip out of the office tomorrow with 3 new recruits to show them a datacentre and I have to buy us lunch which is hugely annoying as it'll get paid back on expenses but I'm not sure when and I'll need the money towards the end of the month! Having a bit of a stress here lol!

I'd like to be in for £150 from 21 Dec - 26 Jan please
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Thank you SaveDosh and PipneyJane for the tips. I aspire to get my food budget down that low, but more so I want to increase my level of conscious buying and eating to where yours are.

Yesterday was a NSD and today I spent €1.38 on tangerines and bananas at the market in my square. We've been eating out of the fridge and freezer and I'm feeling quite proud actually. I turned the last of the leg of lamb into a lamb stew and portioned it out into an individual lamb pie topped with cornbread using cornmeal and other stuff from the cupboard. I didn't want to go out to buy cauliflower or celeriac to make a mash to top the pie. I'll freeze the rest of the lamb stew for eating later in the month along with the spare cornbread I baked. From the lamb bone I made a delicious lamb stock; some of it went into making the stew and the rest I've been drinking hot from a mug. There's about 1.5 mug's worth of stock left that I'll sip over the next couple of days.

Yesterday OH and I had a discussion about our diets and we're both going to try changing them and will be diverging quite a bit. That actually means I won't be "responsible" for shopping for him that much anymore. What a load off! The effect may be that my actual spends may decrease since he'll be buying some of of his own food but I'll keep it at €250 for January since I'll most likely will buy household items like toilet paper.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    €1.38 / €250
    1 NSD
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Nsd today, as didn't even set foot into a shop. Bit sad about the new super six - spring onions, toms, radish, lettuce, beetroot and celery, all at 39p. Will only realistically need one of those (toms), although I could buy some celery and make some soup with it. Undecided. Certainly won't need to get any of those until at least Sunday, anyway, as that is my usual shopping day.

Was sent home from work today, and won't be in tomorrow. Managed to cook the planned dinner today as the chicken was already out of the fridge so would've been a huge waste not to use it. It is oh's 40th tomorrow, and he has requested fish and chips from the chippy. It will cost about £15, but not from the grocery budget.

'See' you all tomorrow!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • ma-ri-ella
    ma-ri-ella Posts: 980 Forumite
    £1.09 spent today but i forgot milk. This was using my £10 voucher, £1.23 staff discount and about £5 worth of savings from multibuys/things on offer. need to make up a spreadsheet to show savings from offers as well as bottom line . Might be able to put off buying milk until end of week :P
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hello :) id like to join please, we are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (2 and 7). I’ve just given up drinking fizzy drinks so this should bring our shop down, but sad to admit we have way too many McDonald’s and takeaways. I love to cook my own food but we are so busy both working and after school clubs ect that convenience seems to take over. Hoping to stick to a budget of £350 to start with per month and see how it goes. My plan is to try and batch cook and use my slow cooker more.

Good luck everyone!
  • Josh1994
    Josh1994 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    £7.88 spent today. Feel a bit guilty about spending £6 on (two bottles of) wine at this stage but will manage to get about six recipes worth of use from them!

£7.88/£80
  • lil_me wrote: »
    I know it’s bad. I’ve had some counselling before but as soon as I get emotional (this time arguing with OH) I did it again. To the point I had £2.22 left in my pocket, as I did take cash. Everything I bought was healthy which is good. Did I need it ?? probably not. Crazy. I need to stop. I just don’t know how yet. I’m 12 years into it.

Please don't beat yourself up about this, if possible lil_me. Can you return some of the items to the supermarket? You could claim they were bought in error and have been refrigerated the whole time, etc. Even clawing back about £10 would be a victory. Hugs.
  • Spendy day today as spent £10 in A3da on the way home. Got some YS bread rolls, sandwich meat (DH had ate it all as snacks), salad and some ‘relentless’ as it was on offer and DH has it for band practice.

Now at £110.17/£275
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills