IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CEL parking defence help!?

Options

Comments

• Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Provisional notice of allocation comes 2-3 weeks after your defence.
    After DQs returned it then takes another 2-4 weeks for the Notice of Allocation (the main order) to come.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    My guess is MCOL is fed up of people complaining about CEL!
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • 777ade777
    Options
    Thanks LOC!

When completing this letter with DQs should i add my version of the story adding that i can provide witness statements to prove the car parking officer allow employees from my work place to park there?

I'm just a little confused on what to put into this letter with the DQ's?

I understand the process a lot more clearly now though, very grateful.

I'll post my defence up here sometime this weekend to see if it's up to standard :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My guess is MCOL is fed up of people complaining about CEL!
    Even more reason to keep encouraging people to do so, and maybe it will be noticed by a person who might actually put the evidence of this serial vexatious conduct and abuse of the court process under the nose of a Judge.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    777ade777 wrote: »
    Thanks LOC!

When completing this letter with DQs should i add my version of the story adding that i can provide witness statements to prove the car parking officer allow employees from my work place to park there? No. The purpose of this letter is to get the judge to find that they were out of time with the PoC and should be compelled to apply for relief (ie permission) under 3.9.
    If you were to write with your story, that's a different matter altogether - that would be you effectively applying for what is called "summary judgment", under rule 24. Where a Defendant has a really weak/no defence, or the Claim is really weak/non-existent, then the other party can apply at an early stage for the case to be determined on the basis of just the PoC/defence, without the need for WSs. Or sometimes parties wait until after the WSs are in then apply.
    Where it's one person's word against the other the court will invariably reject a R24 application and allow it to proceed to a hearing, where the evidence can be "tested" with cross examination.
    Sometimes at this stage, where the PoC are really brief (as they often are) people also ask the court to throw the whole thing out under R3.4. This doesn't require you telling your story, just pointing out that the PoC don't make out a case. Sometimes a judge will throw it out, usually they order further PoC, often they ignore it altogether and allow the thing to proceed. The approach in small claims is much more slapdash than in other types of claims. This isn't something you'd do in your case because you at least have some PoC that make half sense.

Unless you have an open and shut defence (for instance, like someone who paid for the parking, displayed their ticket correctly and can prove it, or someone who got a ticket and then immediately paid it and can prove it, so there simply is no claim) it's not worth applying for summary judgment. The court is unlikely to accept a letter from you and will ask you to formally apply (an application that can be dealt with on paper costs £100 to issue, an application that requires a hearing costs £255 to issue).

So I'd keep it simple and complain about:
    1. the blatant refusal to comply with the pre-action obligations of the Protocol and the PD before it, which has prevented you from understanding the claim and dealing with it properly. The court should exercise its powers under para 15 of the PD to stay the claim and compel the C to comply (and you'll need to be fairly specific about the failures and how they have prevented you from dealing with the claim properly)
    2. the late PoC and the backdating

I'm just a little confused on what to put into this letter with the DQ's?

I understand the process a lot more clearly now though, very grateful.

I'll post my defence up here sometime this weekend to see if it's up to standard :)

comments in red
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
  • 777ade777
    Options
    CCBC have just left me a voicemail and said that they cannot cancel my 2nd defence!

I've only ever sent one defence as i said in my earlier posts on this thread and had it cancelled straight away which was sorted.

They're counting the email i sent to them this week to notify them that the POC was late as my second defence!! this is ludicrous. They left me a voicemail because I'm currently at work.

Should I call them back immediately and complain????
  • 777ade777
    Options
    I've tried to call them whilst in work, waited eight minutes and the line cut me off!

What a joke.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    TBH as long as they think a defence is served this gets transferred out to your home court and a DJ.

You can then write to request directions from the judge (or file them with the DQ). That should yield results.
  • 777ade777
    777ade777 Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2017 at 6:46PM
    Options
    Johnersh wrote: »
    TBH as long as they think a defence is served this gets transferred out to your home court and a DJ.

You can then write to request directions from the judge (or file them with the DQ). That should yield results.

Request directions? what does this mean? sorry I'm rubbish at this sort of stuff.

This is proper stressing me out if I'm honest, I've had a lot of bad news lately with family, and CCBC and CEL are not helping at all :/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure