PPI from the 1990's - too late?

Options
When people were able to put in claims for excess bank charges being paid, I sent for my statements from Lloyds current and credit card.
I was in a bad place at the time and didn't in the end claim the charges back although I know I should have done. I was in financial hardship purely because the bank had added on so much in charges and interest, not because I had spent the money.
Anyway, that is in the past and I know it is too late now to claim those charges back but I do remember seeing PPI on the statements for the credit card. I don't think it was on for long as I must have cancelled it. I do remember the bank staff member telling me it was something I HAD to have.
If I can find those old statements, would I be able to claim the PPI back? It probably wasn't a lot I paid but the interest would probably be worth more than I paid in.

Comments

• amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you find the old statements or, have the card number then contact the bank, and ask if you had PPI, they can do this over the phone, you may be successful, you may not.

You cannot use "the bank staff member said you have to have it" that is not a reason for mis sell, that is hearsay and you would have to have proof of this.

If you had good sick pay cover, only worked 16 hours or less, life insurance or, other means to repay this card in any event, these could be reasons for mis sell.
  • Oddjob
    Oddjob Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 June 2018 at 9:25AM
    Options
    amersall wrote: »
    If you find the old statements or, have the card number then contact the bank, and ask if you had PPI, they can do this over the phone, you may be successful, you may not.

You cannot use "the bank staff member said you have to have it" that is not a reason for mis sell, that is hearsay and you would have to have proof of this.

If you had good sick pay cover, only worked 16 hours or less, life insurance or, other means to repay this card in any event, these could be reasons for mis sell.

If I find the old statements, it will be on those that I had it, I know I saw it on them. I do have the account number as I got into debt with them and am still paying it off. I think in the 1990's I was self employed and don't have life insurance so couldn't prove that I had the means to pay it off, what about the Plevin rule?
  • amersall
    Options
    Contact the bank and answer truthfully what you think your employment was etc, see what they say.

If you are successful, any redress will go to the debt, just so you know.
    If your claim is rejected, they may look at it for Plevin.
  • Oddjob
    Oddjob Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    amersall wrote: »
    Contact the bank and answer truthfully what you think your employment was etc, see what they say.

If you are successful, any redress will go to the debt, just so you know.
    If your claim is rejected, they may look at it for Plevin.

They wrote to me last week to say that they realised their collections section had not been fair with me from 2012 - 2013 when I contacted them to say my health was not good and I was struggling. I had asked them if they could stop the charges and interest until I could sort it out. They said not and swamped me with charges/fees/interest etc. They have put an amount into my account against the debt bringing it down to only around £300.
    They have done the same with my current account, would they take any refund off the overdraft debt left on the current account?
    I was hoping that even though I did not pay the PPI for long, the interest would be quite a lot from the 1990's.
    They have sent me a cheque for interest they have paid as compensation for the overcharge on the current account but not had any interest back yet from the credit card. They paid 8% interest from the time they decided they mis treated me to when they have just looked at it. The returned charges and interest I paid to them they have taken off the debt.

Thank you for your help.
  • FiftySix
    FiftySix Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, sorry if this is in completely the wrong place...... Never asked a question before so please be gentle.
    I'm at a dead end with trying to claim ppi back from welcome finance from 1993. I've still got all the paperwork, every last original page, but even though its clear I had it, they say they were not registered with the FSA until 2005, so they dont have any responsibility to pay out. I've also got a document showing Lloyds as the underwriters, but they again have rejected it even though I sent the copy to them. I have changed my name and my address since the ppi, but I went to great lengths to tell them this. Anyone got any suggestions....or is it just tough luck??:(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FiftySix wrote: »
    I'm at a dead end with trying to claim ppi back from welcome finance
    I think the answers you received back in March are still relevant today.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73988354
  • amersall
    Options
    They have done the same with my current account, would they take any refund off the overdraft debt left on the current account?
    It is possible they will do this, wait and see when you put the claim in for mis sell. It is possible any redress you get may leave remaining money for you after the debt has been settled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure