Greedy Sister!!

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,641 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My sister is 50 and I turn 50 in July, she smokes 60 a day!!!

60 a day probably means she's on borrowed time.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    When did your sister move in? Did anyone say she could, or did she just decide to, because she knew the contents of the will?

Maybe someone can clarify at what point does a beneficiary have the authority to move into an inherited property....from date of death, or from probate granted etc. (regardless of any 'life interest' - or does the existence of a life interest have a bearing in the early days)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Poor Mum wasn't even cold when she announced she had handed her notice in on the rental property! I feel so hopeless, is the place a dump? Has she moved in one of her psycho ex boyfriends......It is a living nightmare which is causing me enormous stress.
  • Sea_Shell
    TBH, if you dont 'need' the money ( which you're unlikely to see any of anyway)...I'd be tempted to do a deed of variation and gift my 50% to the sister and wash my hands of it all. What if major repairs are needed, you're currently on the hook for (at least) 50% as it stands.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Poor Mum wasn't even cold when she announced she had handed her notice in on the rental property! I feel so hopeless, is the place a dump? Has she moved in one of her psycho ex boyfriends......It is a living nightmare which is causing me enormous stress.

If you check back through my threads from July/August 2017, you will see I went through the exact same thing.
    My Brother and your sister appear to be of similar 'character'.

Have faith, it will turn out OK in the end. It may not seem it now but they have to give in once their debts mount up and certain people are chasing them.
    Bit of mess to sort afterwards but it will be worth the wait.
  • It is the thought of a vulnerable, dying woman being bullied into changing her will.
    How to respond? I purchased my first house in my twenties. worrying about keeping my job, paying the bills blah, blah...My sister has either squatted with parents, grandparents or rented a small manageable property. If you work hard and love space 'fill your boots' If you have no ambition and are happy to drift through life, it's a big shock having large financial obligations. Work hard, live large !!!!

These two don't really match up, its not actually about your poor mum being bullied is it?

If it is and I'm wrong, why not save your sanity and your money (because you are very unlikely to actually win any challenge) and let it go, seeing as you already have a home thanks to your hard work and don't need the house?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I sympathize with you. Although even if you can get the will 'thrown out' then you still have the problem of your sister still living in the property. Unless at the same time the court demand the property sold. Even without the life interest, you'll still own 50/50, with her occupying. Good luck!

That is not how life interest trust work

The remaindermen beneficiaries own nothing.
  • Sea_Shell
    That is not how life interest trust work

The remaindermen beneficiaries own nothing.

Sorry, i may have mis-read...

I thought they'd been left it 50/50 with a life interest for the Sister. But having re-read the OP, maybe not, maybe the whole house has been left to the Sister. Maybe the OP can clarify.

However, if she does fight and somehow manages to have the will 'revoked', then under intestacy they'd inherit 50/50 and she'd still have the problem of an occupying sister.

So yes....if she hasn't inherited anything under the will....then i'd let it go, and let the sister get on with it.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Whatever has gone into the trust
    The trustees take legal ownership
    The beneficial ownership is with the life tenant.

The remaindermen get their beneficial ownership when there is a trigger event that ends the trust, usually the death of the life tenant but there can be others.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 January 2018 at 11:17AM
    My sympathies. My circumstances are a little different, in that my sister was living in the house when dad died. I knew that it had been mum's wish to leave the house to both of us but, after she died, my sister pursuaded dad to leave the house to her alone - as it was her home, and I was married with our own home.

In hindsight, that was the best thing for me. The house was in a bad state of repair - it really needed taking back to bare brick in places - and my sister didn't have the money to do anything about it. Had the house been left to us both equally, it would have been on the condition that she lived in it and I paid for the repairs and utility bills.

She lost the lot when she went bankrupt a year or two later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure