PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Swimming pool

13»

Comments

• treecol
    treecol Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Nothing says 'chavtastic' more than a pool in the back garden of an otherwise regular suburban property.

Except that it isn't a regular suburban property. It's a one-off rural self-build by the current owner.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    treecol wrote: »
    Except that it isn't a regular suburban property. It's a one-off rural self-build by the current owner.

In that case, it probably looks fine and I'd just get rid of it anyway.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper

Nothing says 'chavtastic' more than a pool in the back garden of an otherwise regular suburban property.

Several assumptions there:cool:
    Except that it isn't a regular suburban property. ............

Likewise
    In that case, it probably looks fine and I'd just get rid of it anyway.

Fair enough. I do think a pool is a bit 'marmite' - love it or hate it.

Back on topic - we've never had to drain ours completely. Just drain some out in late autumn and put the winter cover on.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    We also want to know how you would go about draining a pool? We can fill it in ourselves & are fully aware of the expense of that. It's the cost to drain it.
    The filter system usually has a 'drain' setting which means the water is sent to a drain rather than back to the pool, so if you decided to fill the pool in the bulk of the water could be removed that way.

The more important consideration when filling in a pool (or pond) is ensuring it won't fill back up with water. For that you'd need to make permanent damage to the base of the pool at the lowest point to ensure any rain that falls on the area of the ex-pool has a means of draining away. Otherwise you'll end up with a swamp in the garden.

If you are in very heavy clay soil you might also need to make holes in the walls above the level of the clay so the water can drain into the more permeable topsoil. Needless to say, if you later change your mind, repairing a pool damaged in this way will not be a cheap option.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    In case anyone thought I was making it up, here's proof of the swimming pool to trout farm story:

http://www.clevelandpools.org.uk/archive/picture.php?/1981/category/52
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would never entertain buying a house with a pool unless its price was sufficiently low that I could have the pool removed and all traces of it obliterated for the amount saved off the 'non-pool' price.

What about a flagpole?
  • You might want to check how much it will cost for insurance for a house with a pool in case anyone falls in and is injured or drowns.

My brother is a plumber and when he was younger went out to do maintenance on houses with pools and hot tubs. He used to go to a house in the Home Counties to maintain the pool of a rock star in a famous band. Sadly, the young son of a rock star drowned in the pool.

My Aussie friends tell me that Down Under it is compulsory for all home pools to be completely enclosed to prevent accidental drownings. Unfortunately young children are attracted to water and it only takes a moment for a child to slip away unnoticed to get to the pool. Actually a friend of mine rescued her two year old from the pond when he was visiting his granny and my sister filled her pond in when her son was a baby.

Personally I wouldn’t ever want to take the risk that any visitors - whether a young child or an adult sunning themselves by the pool with wine or beer on a hot day - go into the pool and drown. You may be willing to watch them like a hawk, but it only takes a moment of distraction eg. the doorbell ringing for the ‘lifeguard’ to remove themselves for a moment and a tragedy to occur.

Tbh it will be cheaper to go to the municipal pool or local health club pool than heat and maintain a pool yourself!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    What about a flagpole?

Depends whether you fly an EU flag on it or not. ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Fish&Chips wrote: »
    You might want to check how much it will cost for insurance for a house with a pool in case anyone falls in and is injured or drowns.

I have a indoor pool in a rental property and pay normal premium for landlord insurance.
    When I lived in the same property the premiums were not inflated because of the pool.
  • treecol
    treecol Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you again, really appreciate the input from you all. It's so helpful to hear different experience & thoughts of others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure