PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meatless meals

Options

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been looking for a no faff spanakopita recipe, so ta muchly!
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all so much for these. I have been vegetarian for most of my life too and sometimes get into a rut.
    One of my favourite lunches, I take to work is mashed black beans, left over salsa and grated cheese. I put in wraps or over salad leaves. You can add anything. Lemon juice and feta cheese is good too.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some of our favourites:

Roasted veg and hummus on baked potatoes (I roast a huge tray of veg then can use in this, pasta and curry/soup in the week). Peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms and carrots all work well.

Lentil and spinach curry

Cabbage and potato curry. This recipe: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/03/meera-sodhas-vegan-potato-and-cabbage-curry-recipe is amazing...and the ingredients are super cheap

Some of my recipes, including 17p pasties, baked bean lasagne (yes, really!), and creamy peanut curry:

http://www.littlemissmiser.com/p/budget-grub.html
  • Teasedale
    Teasedale Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    As a lazy unimaginative old single bloke, an important veggie discovery** for me was gram flour.

One eating apple grated, three spoonfuls of gram flour, bit of tap water, mushed up and fried in oil = almost too much breakfast!

Yes, I miss bacon sarnies (3 years now) but so far this year no pigs have had to die for me. No chickens either, it used to be about 30 a year I reckon. Chickens, that is, and a couple of pigs.

** apart from how nice most other vegetarians are.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Teasedale wrote: »
    so far this year no pigs have had to die for me. No chickens either, it used to be about 30 a year I reckon. Chickens, that is, and a couple of pigs.

:eek: I've never thought about it like that.... :(

Some really nice ideas here - thanks all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Teasedale wrote: »
    As a lazy unimaginative old single bloke, an important veggie discovery** for me was gram flour.

One eating apple grated, three spoonfuls of gram flour, bit of tap water, mushed up and fried in oil = almost too much breakfast!

Yes, I miss bacon sarnies (3 years now) but so far this year no pigs have had to die for me. No chickens either, it used to be about 30 a year I reckon. Chickens, that is, and a couple of pigs.

** apart from how nice most other vegetarians are.

Ooooh that's a great idea with gram flour. I've made 'omelettes' with it before, by frying a few veggies and adding a gram flour batter. Yummy and plenty of protein.
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Brilliant thread! I don't eat meat and OH does, but will quite happily eat meatless meals. A favourite is Baked Greek salad:
    Roast veg in olive oil for about 30 minutes - courgette, red pepper, red onion, cherry tomatoes, aubergine or whatever you have, when cooked, add 150 g couscous and 250 ml water, cover with foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Fluff up with a fork and add 2tbsp red wine vinegar. Top with fried slices of halloumi. Really easy and everyone loves it. Some great ideas, keep them coming please!!!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I just did a veggie peanut noodle thing

Lightly boiled some diced carrot and broccoli florets, added a layer of egg noodles. Made a sauce of 2tbsp peanut butter (I like crunchy best), same of water and then added some lime juice, tabasco, soy sauce and a little maple syrup. then tossed the whole thing together... It was lish... and so filling that i couldn't eat it all so have saved some for lunch tomorrow. Probably as part of a salad..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    A really easy one for those not overly vegetable inclined is veggie hash
    mushroom, onions, peppers, spuds, broccoli and cherry toms diced and cooked in a fry pan or skillet served with side of eggs. sometimes its easier to keep the lentils hidden :)
  • littlegreenparrot
    Options
    I'm going to have to come back to this thread with a list....

Ratatouille-I add lentils, have it with pasta, baked potatoes, fill tortillas and bake as enchiladas.

Stuffing mix, make up and bake as balls, eat them cold. Use as filling with pastry for veg sausage rolls.

Roll out puff pastry, add pesto, lots of lovely veg, bake.

Veggie haggis is delicious if you see it (I only rarely see it).

Pearl barley in leek and potato soup so it's more of a stew.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure