michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gefnew wrote: »
    Hi All
    UK wind power to double.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44926442
    regards
    gefnew
    What a lack of ambition, isn't it more likely to happen by 2025, especially if storage costs fall there is likely to be no need for price garantees.
    I think....
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    michaels wrote: »
    What a lack of ambition, isn't it more likely to happen by 2025, especially if storage costs fall there is likely to be no need for price garantees.

The roll out will be constrained by the CfD auctions as the developers need guarantees on the value of generation and also the guaranteed market.

Plus, remember that the 'cheap' prices are in today's auctions, but not for delivery today. The £75/MWh contracts are for 2022 delivery, and the £57/MWh contracts for 2023. So expect the next auctions to be for delivery some time around 2025+.

The large time difference reflects the long build out times for off-shore wind as the work is enormous, but also justifies the lower leccy prices as these build in the cost reductions that the industry expects as the technology improves and the larger WT's to be installed reflecting the higher capacity factors that these monsters can achieve.

Other auctions in Europe for shallower water schemes nearer the shore have already reached net subsidy free prices. The contracts are still needed though as a fall back to guarantee a price so that the developers can raise the capital to build the schemes.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    gefnew wrote: »
    A bit for you ev owners on the beeb.
    I was part of a smart charger trial but binned that when I could get a charger that would syphon off my surplus solar to the car battery. Since it was fitted in April I've done about 1,000 miles on "free" electricity. This benefit means my solar system will have paid for itself sooner than I originally thought.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    And looking at the Zappi website this week it suggests that it qualifies for the government grant in the same way as many other chargers, so virtually free by the looks of things - not that that helps me at the moment as still running a relatively new diesel! Yeah, I know, public enemy number one now but saviour of the world when I bought it!!!:eek:
  • NigeWick
    pinnks wrote: »
    And looking at the Zappi website this week it suggests that it qualifies for the government grant in the same way as many other chargers,
    Yep, it does.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pinnks wrote: »
    And looking at the Zappi website this week it suggests that it qualifies for the government grant in the same way as many other chargers, so virtually free by the looks of things -
    NigeWick wrote: »
    Yep, it does.

Was installation covered by the grant too?
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Our Zappi was installed ahead of schedule today. The government grant covers upto 75% of the cost or £500 max. The unit itself just about gobbles most of that up. I've still to receive the final bill but according to the quotation we shall need to contribute around £300 for it's installation. We could have had another unit installed for free due to the purchase of a Nissan Leaf. Unfortunately the latter couldn't differentiate between Solar and power from the grid, hence our decision to go with a Zappi. Hope this helps!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • NigeWick
    No. And, you only get the grant once, unless you can prove you have more than on EV.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    Couple of international stories:

Japan's famous (infamous?) power company is looking to shift towards more renewables:

Turning Its Back On Nuclear, TEPCO Plans 7 Gigawatts Of Renewable Energy
    The Tokyo Electric Power Company, better known as TEPCO, announced this week that it intends to pursue the development of up to 6 to 7 gigawatts (GW) worth of renewable energy worth tens of billions of dollars in a move away from its traditional reliance on nuclear energy.

Speaking to Nikkei this week, TEPCO’s president Tomoaki Kobayakawa announced his company will look to develop6 to 7 GW of renewable energy across Japan and overseas in a move expected to yield 100 billion yen ($8.98 billion) in profit.

This surprised me, very, very cheap wind contracts for Saudi's first auction:

Saudi Arabia’s 1st Wind Farm Receives Strikingly Low Bid Prices
    Solar won’t be Saudi Arabia’s only renewable energy play, however, as this week the country’s Renewable Energy Project Development Office (REPDO) and the Ministry of Energy, Industry and Mineral Resources (MEIM) announced that they had received four bids of between $21.30/MWh and $33.86/MWh for the 400MW Dumat al-Jandal project.

For context, our nuclear deal for HPC is about $160/MWh.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Just remembered, that I'd forgotten ...... ?

To mention some liquid air energy storage (LAES) news.

Highview have now built a larger test plant to prove their technology, this one is 5MW and 15MWh.

The next step would be a 50MW/200MWh plant, and they've even suggested in the past that they could build 200MW/1,200MWh storage.

This technology at around 60-75% efficiency would be used for longer term storage than batteries and pumped hydro, and if used to mop up very cheap excess RE generation could complete the circle for RE + storage. Efficiencies can be even higher if partnered with a source of waste heat, or waste cold.

Some news items:

Highview Power Completes UK Plant to Test ‘Liquid Air’ Storage Technology

Highview Power has successfully designed and built the world's first grid-scale liquid air energy storage (LAES) plant in the UK.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback