Smart Meters

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I'm perfectly capable of understanding Malc's reply thank you.
  • I simply read my meters and send the readings via my energy supplier's app. I don't mind doing this, it's not hard and I don't need to save those few minutes of my life to do something else. So no I don't NEED a smart meter and neither do I want one.
  • It's also simple to work out usage and cost, I quite enjoy doing it!
  • [rant on]

I've just received a letter from E.ON, advising me my current meter is at the end of it's life and not safe!!!! (How the elderly would feel about receiving this letter would probably panic!)

and contact them for a new meter, the letter does not state it will be replaced with a Smart Meter or what version! it will take 30 minutes to replace....

Umm, how they know this is incorrect!

My annoyance, is that there is no means to have this installed at the weekend, e.g. I have to take a day off work, and lose a days holiday!

Does it benefit me - NO, like other's in the thread - I understand how to read a meter, and what the numbers mean, and I currently provide E.ON with meter reads every month, I was hopeful that having a smart meter would mean my bill would be accurate to the READING taken, this is not true, as they will still on BILL a Quarter...

AND, after having contacted E.ON in June 2017, and asked for a Smart Meter, two engineers visited the property, I was expecting a 30 minute install time as per advertised letter, and the Engineers, went off spoke to their boss, and told me because of my Economy 7, and space in the current box, it was likely it would take the entire afternoon (4hrs), I would be off supply, so as I run my business from the property, couldn't be off electric for that long....

BUT Engineers then check signal with their magic box, and told me, it was at or under 30% and it may not work, and if they installed it, they may have to come back and uninstall it!

because it would not send reads....

[/rant off]

Anyway E.ON you've now convinced me to say **** ***, as I'm now starting to look at switching again, contract is up in June away...

maybe this is why they want to trap me....

any E.ON **** ***!
  • Why do people want to know day by day what energy they use? Does it really stop people (households) from turning heating off, or electrical appliances?
    I thought the whole point of quartly bills, was to iron out the huge discrepancies between summer and winter, helping low wage earners to budget.
    I for one will resist to the end, the fitting of smart meters... who knows what the gov. will do when faced with a crisis of energy, restrict your supply? They will do if they can, saying emergency measures!
  • because I have storage heaters, I've not been with a supplier yet, which has managed to get it right....

so I now provide meter readings every month, and I've only found E.ON use them....I went for 12 months without one energy company taking and using any readings!!!!

it's either I owe them £1,000s - yes that's correct, or they owe me £1,000s, and then takes me 6 - 8 months to get the credit out of them when I switch....
  • 1st and 2nd Generation Smart Meters do NOT reset themselves after a POWER Interruption. One has to manually reset the meter by pressing a button.
    Imagine you are away on holiday or at work and a Power Interruption occurs, what are the consequences? Until you return to manually reset the meter you lose your heating and fridge/freezer power plus any other electrical facilities.
    In my view this simple shortcoming precludes having any Smart Meter
    installed until this problem is rectified.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2018 at 2:22PM
    bdkersey wrote: »
    1st and 2nd Generation Smart Meters do NOT reset themselves after a POWER Interruption. One has to manually reset the meter by pressing a button.
    Imagine you are away on holiday or at work and a Power Interruption occurs, what are the consequences? Until you return to manually reset the meter you lose your heating and fridge/freezer power plus any other electrical facilities.
    In my view this simple shortcoming precludes having any Smart Meter
    installed until this problem is rectified.
    Power comes back on after a power cut just the same as a normal dumb meter.Digital meters go blank then reading comes back on after all power cuts
    .Most electronic digital gas meters remain blank at all times, smart or dumb, and only show any info after pressing red button to wake it up. This is to preserve the battery life
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    [rant on]

I've just received a letter from E.ON, advising me my current meter is at the end of it's life and not safe!!!! (How the elderly would feel about receiving this letter would probably panic!)

and contact them for a new meter, the letter does not state it will be replaced with a Smart Meter or what version! it will take 30 minutes to replace....

Umm, how they know this is incorrect!

My annoyance, is that there is no means to have this installed at the weekend, e.g. I have to take a day off work, and lose a days holiday!

Does it benefit me - NO, like other's in the thread - I understand how to read a meter, and what the numbers mean, and I currently provide E.ON with meter reads every month, I was hopeful that having a smart meter would mean my bill would be accurate to the READING taken, this is not true, as they will still on BILL a Quarter...

AND, after having contacted E.ON in June 2017, and asked for a Smart Meter, two engineers visited the property, I was expecting a 30 minute install time as per advertised letter, and the Engineers, went off spoke to their boss, and told me because of my Economy 7, and space in the current box, it was likely it would take the entire afternoon (4hrs), I would be off supply, so as I run my business from the property, couldn't be off electric for that long....

BUT Engineers then check signal with their magic box, and told me, it was at or under 30% and it may not work, and if they installed it, they may have to come back and uninstall it!

because it would not send reads....

[/rant off]

Anyway E.ON you've now convinced me to say **** ***, as I'm now starting to look at switching again, contract is up in June away...

maybe this is why they want to trap me....

any E.ON **** ***!

Hello einsteinagogo and I'm sorry our technicians weren't able to complete a smart meter installation for you.

The letter you received sounds like the one we send to customers when their meters are nearing the end of their guaranteed shelf life. Electricity meters are designed to last between 10 and 30 years and gas meters between 5 and 15 years. When meters reach the end of their lifespan we’ll be in touch to ask to exchange them. This is called a meter re-certification for electricity and a policy exchange for gas.

It's not possible to give an exact time frame for carrying out this work as circumstances can differ widely between individual properties. On average, for classic/traditional meters, it takes around 30 minutes per meter to do the exchange. It's different for smart meters.

Customers due a re-certification/policy exchange will be offered smart meters provided the property can accept them. It depends on things like the actual area, type of property, the strength of the mobile phone signal and the current metering set up. There are also certain local difficulties that don't become clear until a technician visits a property. Again, the circumstances at individual properties vary but, on average, it usually takes about an hour per meter to install smart meters. Each fuel will need to be turned off for about 30 minutes.

We do have certain availability to visit on Saturdays and to offer set time slots during the week. This availability, though, depends on the area of the country, the local Meter Operator and the nature of the work involved. Sounds like these appointments weren't available to you.

From what you say, I suspect the circumstances at the property are such as to make it unlikely we'll be able to fit smart meters at the present time.

Depending on what stopped us from completing this particular installation, you might be eligible for a payment under our Guaranteed Standards of Service. These apply where it's our fault a meter appointment fails. If it is, we'll pay £30 within 10 working days regardless of whether or not you complain. If we don't do this within the 10 working days, we'll make the original payment plus an additional payment of £30 because it's late. There's more information about this on our website under Guaranteed Standards of Service. I'm not saying this applies here einsteinagogo as I don't know the full details of what happened but it's worth asking the question.

Sorry again we weren't able to complete the installation and hope I haven't rambled on too much.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2018 at 5:54PM
    Absolutely nothing to do with "smart " meters. This is a concern about meter fitting in general which has been in force ever since energy meters were first installed and replaced
    Yet another rag jumping on the smart meter knocking bandwagon.
    There are concerns that some incidents have been due to the pressured pace of smart meter installation - with the suspicion that corners have been cut in training. So in that sense it is more to do with smart meter roll-out rather than the smart meter per se.
    Btw I would hardly call BBC Watchdog 'a rag'. :huh:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure