Smart Meters

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 June 2018 at 7:17PM
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Are you saying that the article is telling a deliberate lie? It's a pity that there isn't a contact email for the author of the article - Mike Pattenden "Technology Journalist".

That!!!8217;s for you to judge:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/706853/Consultation_on_enrolment_of_SMETS1_cohorts_with_the_DCC.pdf

Have a read of paragraph 9. This is all about SMETS1 meter adoption. The SMETS2 document runs to over 800 pages of technical requirements.

You may need to copy and paste the link as it is proving problematical. Another telling paragraph from the document:

fourteen energy suppliers put forward around 12.6 million SMETS1 meters for enrolment, to reflect their plans for SMETS1 installations in the period prior to the SMETS1 end-date.14 However, the voluntary nature of SMETS1 enrolment presents a risk that the DCC solution is not used in a timely manner (or at all), which would delay the point at which consumers receive an interoperable SMETS1 service and result in potentially nugatory costs being incurred, as suppliers do not have to operate gained SMETS1 meters15 which are not enrolled in the DCC as smart until 2021 at domestic premises.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,518 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Are you saying that the article is telling a deliberate lie? It's a pity that there isn't a contact email for the author of the article - Mike Pattenden "Technology Journalist".

I saw this two pages of wasted trees and as soon as I saw it was an advertorial ignored it.

Bending the truth is what advertising is all about. To me it was a sign of desperation.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    daveyjp wrote: »
    I saw this two pages of wasted trees and as soon as I saw it was an advertorial ignored it.

Bending the truth is what advertising is all about. To me it was a sign of desperation.

It could be a sign we have too many tree's?

Darren (in a mischievous mood)
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite
    Xbigman wrote: »

It could be a sign we have too many tree's?

Which is better than having too many apostrophes. :cool:
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My speeling checker was fine with that many!!!

Darren!!!
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Nick_C wrote: »
    You are absolutely right of course. Big Brother is watching us.

I refuse to use the internet for these same reasons.

You are on this forum so already being tracked. Do you have a mobile phone? if so you are being tracked.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    There has been reports of batteries failing again.Here the engineer had to fit a standard meter that later had to be replaced with a smart meter.

After talking to OVO they thought it was almost certainly a battery failure and sent out an engineer for a fix.

Turns out he had to install a traditional meter because it was out of hours for OVO to give codes for a new smart one.

This means that we have to yet another visit to have a new smart meter installed

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-booking-and-installations-66/smart-gas-meter-battery-failure-why-isn-t-it-easy-to-replace-it-1418
  • Fluffy2
    Fluffy2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi all,
    I would implore you not to get a smart meter. The hype and advertising around them is to get rid off an ineffective product with all sorts far featched claims of how it will save you money. Instead of installing one, you can work out what each appliance is costing you by a mathematical equation based on its watts etc.

Smart meters use EMF waves which are on the same level as normal brain waves. Therefore they can interfere with sleep and mental wellbeing. The effects can be subtle or some people can experience more distressing symptoms. They can cause insomnia anxiety, low mood and irritability. It can also cause you to feel extremely unwell. They have been shown to interfere with implanted electrical devices such as cochlear implants and deep brain stimulation, such as being developed to treat parkinsons disease. Those especially at risk are those with autoimmune disease e.g. M.E. fibromyalgia, cancers, some arthritis, chrohn's disease etc. Please do a search on EMF and smart meters and harmful effects.

The more people that have them the greater density of the EMF smog created. This is invisible, it means that between every millisecond and up to every 2 seconds 24 hrs a day these waves pass through your body and have an effect on your nervous system and brain waves.

I know that some people also object to their privacy invasion. This is because, potentially, any organisation that has access to the data transmitted can tell on aggregated interpretation how many people are in the property, what times the property is empty etc, building up an accurate pattern of routine and movement. Whilst this is genuinely concerning I am more focused on the health risks.
  • They are a rip off avoid use these tips below

1. Refuse a smart meter on the grounds its unsafe and you are concerned about your personal data being hacked
    !!!8203;
    2, Make it known that you have great reservations about the squandering of 11 billion pounds on a device that will be obsolete in 5 years time.
    !!!8203;
    3. Let your MP know that local front line services that are currently being decimated by government cuts need to be a priority over and above a new type of meter .

4. Don't be a willing participant in your own misfortune . These meters interfere with home broadband router signals, your details are collected and in the future that database will be sold on to marketing / junk mail firms . Your energy supplier will have at his fingertips a wealth of knowledge about your appliance usage, loads , payment details , debt , and all this is transmitted to them over the airwaves.
    !!!8203;
    5 Keep safe and dont install have one of! these spy ware enabled devices
    !!!8203;
    6. Five thousand meter readers , many!semi retired people earning a living will all lose their jobs.
    !!!8203;
    7. You take issue with being intimidated by letters and door knockers out to convince you to have a spy meter fitted and warnings that if you switch supplier your meter wont work.

They are a rip off avoid use these tips below and please support the cause and sign our petition at
    and ....consider supporting our funding effort to mount a counter campaign to the brainwashing ongoing media blitz for smart meters
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They are a rip off avoid use these tips below

1. Refuse a smart meter on the grounds its unsafe and you are concerned about your personal data being hacked
    !!!8203;
    2, Make it known that you have great reservations about the squandering of 11 billion pounds on a device that will be obsolete in 5 years time.
    !!!8203;
    3. Let your MP know that local front line services that are currently being decimated by government cuts need to be a priority over and above a new type of meter .

4. Don't be a willing participant in your own misfortune . These meters interfere with home broadband router signals, your details are collected and in the future that database will be sold on to marketing / junk mail firms . Your energy supplier will have at his fingertips a wealth of knowledge about your appliance usage, loads , payment details , debt , and all this is transmitted to them over the airwaves.
    !!!8203;
    5 Keep safe and dont install have one of! these spy ware enabled devices
    !!!8203;
    6. Five thousand meter readers , many!semi retired people earning a living will all lose their jobs.
    !!!8203;
    7. You take issue with being intimidated by letters and door knockers out to convince you to have a spy meter fitted and warnings that if you switch supplier your meter wont work.

They are a rip off avoid use these tips below and please support the cause and sign our petition at
    and ....consider supporting our funding effort to mount a counter campaign to the brainwashing ongoing media blitz for smart meters

1) Your personal data is not held by the meter, Nor should the DCC have it, Capita has so many contracts with private and public sectors that I can assure you they know everything as it is.
    2) While squandering 11 billion pounds is bad, the actual cost is looking to be closer to 20 billion pounds. Your energy supplier really isnt going to care about this because if they dont install them (or at least, try to) then the penalty for them failing can be high enough to bankrupt them. Your basically try to tell a private company to go bust so they can save the public money.
    3) I agree you should complain to your MP about this, but all wasted money will be paid for by consumers, so it shouldn't impact your public services (don't argue it on that point).
    4) The 2.4ghz spectrum is shared by more than WiFi and ZigBee. It shouldn't have an impact that is noticeable, that said, only time will tell after deployment IF it does really cause a lot of issues.
    5) It's not Spyware, You know it is there thus its not spying. You could make an argument that you only want it to export values for a read of a day/week/month/quarter and not constant usage. It could possibly be used to say when someone is at home or not at home and I agree that is a bad thing.
    6) Estimated bills and online reading submissions was doing away with these people having a role to play anyhow. You could counter-argue that the £2 billion cost of installation will provide high-tech installers jobs opportunity that wouldn't be there otherwise. So do you feel bad for the young tech-trained installer, or the old retired person?
    7) I have never had anyone knock on my door, I have been asked once and said "No" and that was the end of that.

Here is the thing.
    If you don't want it then when your supplier ask, tell them "No", If they ask again, then move suppliers citing that as a reason.

http://www.nickhunn.com/british-smart-meters-cost-28-million-each/ is interesting reading.
    I will not be giving any group money to fight smart meters. Overall they are a good direction we should be moving towards, sadly the UK Gov decided it would be more about brown-envelope negotiations and consumers who wouldn't benefit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback