Got the £10 Christmas Bonus this winter? Expect a further £60 in the New Year too!

Updated 29 December 2008
What's this about?
Every year a £10 Christmas Bonus is paid before Christmas Day to pensioners and some people on benefits. This winter it's been announced an additional £60 per person will be paid between Jan & March 2009 to each person who got the £10 bonus.

Who qualifies for the cash?

If you got the £10 bonus, you'll definately get the additional £60.

You qualify for the £60 bonus if you were in receipt of at least one of the following benefits in the week commencing 22 December:
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit at the long-term rate
  • Industrial Death Benefit
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Mobility Supplement
  • Pension Credit - the guaranteed element
  • State Pension (including Graduated Pension)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Unemployability Supplement or Allowance
  • War Disablement Pension if aged 65 or over
  • War Widow's Pension
  • Widow's Pension
  • Widowed Mother's Allowance
  • Widowed Parent's Allowance
Payments don't need to be claimed, they'll be made automatically to you.
When will I get the money?
If you receive the state pension, the £60 payment should hit your account at some point in January. Everyone else will see the cash credited in February or March.
If you haven't had your payment by April, either contact the Jobcentre Plus or pension centre that deals with your regular payments or call the Christmas Bonus helpline on 0800 141 2591.
Related Guides
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• lyniced
    lyniced Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    I am in receipt of DLA and got the £10 bonus at Christmas - will I get the £60?
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes.................
    lyniced wrote: »
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    "You qualify for the £60 bonus if you were in receipt of at least one of the following benefits in the week commencing 22 December:
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
    • Disability Living Allowance"
    This is so clear, Lyniced........................
  • I have for the last 11 years or so received the £10 bonus at Xmas as I am on DLA but I never got it this year, who do I contact.

I also became a pensioner on 27 November last.
  • I am in receipt of DLA and received the Christmas bonus - but reside in Northern Ireland. Does the extra £60 bonus apply here too? We come under the Social Security Agency, not the Benefits Agency as in England. Equally, does the bonus also apply to anyone in Scotland?
  • scottishf
    scottishf Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    I am in receipt of DLA and received the Christmas bonus - but reside in Northern Ireland. Does the extra £60 bonus apply here too? We come under the Social Security Agency, not the Benefits Agency as in England. Equally, does the bonus also apply to anyone in Scotland?

I presume so, as the opening article says if you got the £10 you will get the extra £60 :)
  • glenys1948 wrote: »
    I have for the last 11 years or so received the £10 bonus at Xmas as I am on DLA but I never got it this year, who do I contact.

I also became a pensioner on 27 November last.

People are only allowed to receive one £10 bonus, it may be that the bonus was paid with your pension rather than the DLA,
  • lyniced wrote: »

All UK residents are eligible for the payments, so, as long as you meet the qualifying conditions, you will qualify, badger. The payments are in addition to the usual £10 payment, but anyone who was in receipt of a qualifying benefit during the requisite week and didn't receive payment automatically, should ring the helpline posted at the foot of the original message.

Full details can be found here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018704
  • I read somewhere that the actual new amount was £50 which you will receive on top of the £10 to achieve the £60 the government highlighted.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Well if the source of the link above is correct then if you got the £10 you should get an additional £60

You may be able to get Christmas Bonus, the one-off tax-free £10 payment made before Christmas. For 2008, an additional tax-free payment of £60 will be paid automatically to those customers getting a qualifying benefit in the week commencing 22 December 2008. This will be paid between January 2009 and March 2009.
    jbaman wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the actual new amount was £50 which you will receive on top of the £10 to achieve the £60 the government highlighted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure