Urgently need advice on Royal Mail problem.

This is driving me round the bend, and I would be grateful if someone could advise me. On 25th October, I sent a recorded delivery letter cancelling my TV subscription to Virgin. To this day, the letter is showing on the Royal Mail tracking site as unsigned for, not yet delivered. I could get no help from my local post office, and when I went to complete the official complaint form online, I found that I couldn't, as it required the delivery date. My concern is, should the letter be undelivered, I shall be forced to pay a further month's installment to Virgin. Why do these companies make it so difficult to speak to some-one when there are problems? I am 85 and my wife is suffering with terminal cancer, making this very stressful. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm not sure why you'd cancel by sending a letter instead of just phoning them up to do it? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-cancel gives you contact numbers to cancel your services.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/webforms/claim doesn't ask me for a delviery date (which would make no sense) instead it asks for the date of posting. I'm not sure which form you're using, although it's worth noting that you wouldn't be able to file a lost letter claim until this Friday I believe.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Carlsdad wrote: »
    On 25th October, I sent a recorded delivery letter cancelling my TV subscription to Virgin.
    This is probably the least efficient method of attempting to cancel regular goods or services from any telco operator. Any such letter will be currently languishing somewhere and, even if it was shown as delivered, that still wouldn't guarantee a timely disconnection because your letter probably won't contain enough information to pass their security.
    Why do these companies make it so difficult to speak to some-one when there are problems? I am 85 and my wife is suffering with terminal cancer, making this very stressful. Any advice appreciated.
    While I feel your pain, I'm afraid you'll just have to put aside some time to hang on the 'phone and wait patiently to be connected to someone at Virgin's call centre. Use the numbers provided in the link at post # 2 of this thread.

Remember also that you'll need the account password.

Is it actually you or your wife who is the account holder?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would think that considering the amount of mail a large company receives then recorded delivery are not actually signed for on arrival.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why do these companies make it so difficult to speak to some-one when there are problems?
    At Virgin Media? I thought you'd be put through to somebody very quickly if you tell them you're wanting to cancel. Haven't you tried?

As for the letter, why not just assume it was delivered on the next working day? Which it almost certainly would have been.
  • davidmcn wrote: »
    As for the letter, why not just assume it was delivered on the next working day?
    Even if the OP does assume this, how can he know whether his cancellation request has been actioned? If it hasn't, he'll have to give a further month's notice...
  • Leaving the post office thing to one side, you can't cancel Virgin Media by post, it needs to be done on the phone, even if they receive your letter they won't do anything with it.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If it hasn't, he'll have to give a further month's notice...
    No, if he's served correct notice then the contract ends. It's VM at fault if they fail to action it. But easier to phone, even if they try to give him the hard sell.
  • I suspect if you're 85 then sending a cancellation letter by recorded delivery may be the first thing you think of.
  • Carlsdad
    Carlsdad Posts: 58
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 November 2019 at 1:27PM
    I sent in the Virgin cancellation form, which I downloaded from their site. From what I have read about phoning in, it can be an ordeal. There seems to be very little point in sending anything recorded, signed for, as it seems that they are not interested in following it through. At least, not at my local post office. My thanks to all for your input, by the way.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I sent in the Virgin cancellation form, which I downloaded from their site. From what I have read about phoning in, it can be an ordeal. There seems to be very little point in sending anything recorded, signed for, as it seems that they are not interested in following it through. At least, not at my local post office.

Well lets break that down.
    Your 'local' office isn't delivering the item unless the VM office is local to you.
    If you actually went to a Post Office then they have nothing to do with delivering mail at all. That is Royal Mail.

Signed for mail travels with all the other mail. Its not a guaranteed service and even with RM meeting 90+% for next day delivery,it leaves a lot of items in the % left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure