Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gazb
    • By gazb 10th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 4Thanks
    gazb
    3 Month Old Sofology Sofa Sagging Badly
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    3 Month Old Sofology Sofa Sagging Badly 10th Mar 18 at 4:15 PM
    Hi,

I purchased a sofa from sofology and it was delivered on the 23rd December.

Within a couple of days the sofa had started sagging quite badly. I spoke to them to log a complaint and the told me to plump up the sofa by working from the middle to each corner every time we've sat on it!

We gave it a few weeks and it got a lot worse. I spoke to them again and emailed some photos and even the lady on the phone was shocked how bad it was!

They arranged a technician to come and have a look. He came a couple of weeks later. He said with it being a brand new range they've had a lot of complaints about this particular range and that the filling was too soft and it would need new better quality filling. He turned the sofa over, unzipped the bottom and started pulling off the elastic supports that the cushions sit on saying that when they'd been manufactured, the warm foam filling had stuck to the elastic which then stops the air circulating the foam and stops it re filling causing the sagging look. He said that that's what he's been told to do and that it wouldn't stop it and that it would need new better quality filling but NOT to say that he'd said that! (Shocking) he said give it a couple of weeks and then call them back and say that I'm still not satisfied.

I called them today and they are saying they won't take it any further as the technician has said that he solved the problem and there's no longer a problem with the sofas!

Where can I go from here? The sofa is the new linara range and cost £3300 for a 4 seater, a 2 seater and a footstool

Any help would be great! Cheers

This is the 2 seater, we've hardly sat on the left hand side

Last edited by gazb; 11-03-2018 at 6:52 PM. Reason: .
Page 3
    • windowsupplies
    • By windowsupplies 23rd Dec 18, 10:01 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    windowsupplies
    Replacement foam for Linara Sofa's from Sofology
    We have the same issue with ours ( Linara ) but they have replaced our inner seat cushions with a new filling that has just come out.
    Originally posted by Baz1404
    Be interested to know how your getting on with the replacement foam
    Baz1404 ? we are due to have ours changed in the New Year as a last ditch effort , have been fighting them since September and not really getting anywhere but hopeful this replacement foam sorts it , but im not confident , think we will have the same problem 6 months down the road and less leverage as it will then be over a year old ?

Never again would I use Sofology ! Sofas are not fit for purpose , well mine isn't put it like that

I understand they have one chance at repair under Consumer rights via which but looks like it will be a legal battle from there on in .

Our old Sofa's were nearly 12 years old and still looked and worked as they should do and probably would have for more years to come just a bit 'used ' as you would expect , these ones looks worse after 9 months ! Gutted as we gave away the others , and paid £3.5 k for these .

Ironically the previous ones came from DFS and were great but as im aware DFS now own Sofology !!

Wish id found all the bad reviews and forums regarding these sofas prior to ordering but i guess they weren't about then as they were reasonably new i think

Oh well 3 months of hundreds of emails , phone calls and inspections we are still no further forward but in this day and age of checking up on Google reviews on companies perhaps my input will send someone else to another company so indirectly affecting Sofology like they've affected us !

Merry Christmas
    • Chelseaboy100
    • By Chelseaboy100 28th Dec 18, 6:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chelseaboy100
    Hello
    Hi
    I got my galleria 3 seater and am concerned given the issues in this thread.

You mention upgrade foam.

Whatís the latest situation ?

Thanks
    • Garry not satisfied
    • By Garry not satisfied 1st Jan 19, 12:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Garry not satisfied
    Try trading standards
    C.a.b
    There scammers At Sofology
    Insurance homeserve
    Sofology tell them what to put in report they pay there wages
    As for staff just local scum bags
    who Carnt find work any where else where trustworthy ness is paramount
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 1st Jan 19, 2:35 PM
    • 4,990 Posts
    • 6,742 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Try trading standards
    C.a.b
    Insurance homeserve
    Originally posted by Garry not satisfied
    Not really an objective, factual complaint, is it. To be honest I struggle to understand some of it. What's "Insurance homeserve" got to do with anything?

It's better to set your complaints out sensibly in writing rather than just ranting about "scammers" and calling staff "local scum bags". It's too easy to dismiss it as insulting and hysterical otherwise.
    • 4socks
    • By 4socks 2nd Jan 19, 11:17 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    4socks
    Hi
    I got my galleria 3 seater and am concerned given the issues in this thread.

You mention upgrade foam.

Whatís the latest situation ?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Chelseaboy100
    Have had the inspection from Homeserve technician , seemed very polite and knowledgeable, and he agreed the sofa is not performing as it should do and needs to be repaired .
    Sofology have ordered a denser set of foams for the sofa which my hunch is the same inserts they put in the showroom models !! but its only a hunch , but i am aware that i have to give them the option to repair the sofas as in a court if no option was given to them to repair a faulty product the would probably be thrown out.

So to recap , new inserts / foam is on order and awaiting date to fit them and see how it goes once refitted .

Whilst I'm not sure I'm happy with the overall product any more , however , that is obviously the way i have to go to get it sorted and assuming this does not work ill then have to go down the legal route , but fingers crossed
    • 4socks
    • By 4socks 2nd Jan 19, 11:29 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    4socks
    Try trading standards
    C.a.b
    Insurance homeserve
    Originally posted by Garry not satisfied
    Garry
    I've taken advise thank you , not sure they are scammers but granted the quality of the sofas we received definitely is not the same as that of showroom model , the filling isn't anyway

Local staff have been very good to be fair and the phone staff to sort out the issue , but I've kept my cool and been polite so far as it never works if you start ranting , but believe me inside I'm exploding !!

Homeserve technician was very knowledgable and in total agreement that sofas were not fit for purpose , but i didnt see the report but sofolgy phoned me 2 days later to arrange to refit new interior foam to both so he must have reported it correctly ?

All the ranting in the world wont get me anywhere , if the rules state i must give Sofology the option to repair then so be it , but if it doesn't work then ill take it legal , but i then have more ammunition to give to judge if it gets that far as ive pursued a compliant by the book .

In my earlier years i would have probably gone ballistic and lost the plot but whilst you felt better afterwards it still didnt get the result you wanted ! time will tell if the laid back, polite legal approach will work !
    • Baz999
    • By Baz999 16th Jan 19, 7:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Baz999
    Hi
    I have had the same problem with my Linara sofa, tried everything to get a refund. Had homeserve technician, he was sympathetic, but Sofology said his report stated no defects.
    Went to the Ombudsman and they ruled in favour of Sofology.
    My sofa has sagged so badly that iíve got 2 throws folded and placed along the entire length of the seating then another thick faux fur throw over the top. There is still a massive dip in both seats and it has become very uncomfortable. My only option is claims court but as iíve tried the Ombudsman and failed iím donít know whether court would rule in their favour too.
    It is a disgrace, so angry, I hate the sofa so much but canít afford to purchase a new one.
    Have you had any success?
    • SenorGroucho
    • By SenorGroucho 18th Jan 19, 12:53 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    SenorGroucho
    Having a similar problem with our 8 week old Westfield corner sofa set.
    Firstly its definitely not as firm as the showroom models we sat on numerous times over the months we spent deciding on a new sofa.
    But in particular the corner unit sags awfully and we no longer sit on it as its too uncomfortable.
    Sofology's customer service is dire. They just fob you off and close the ticket.
    Luckily my wife gets free legal assistance from being in Unison so thats probably the route we will have to take.
    Its annoying because we really like it otherwise.
    Join the Sarcasm Appreciation Society.

(Yeah...Like we need your support!)
    • TeresaJason
    • By TeresaJason 27th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TeresaJason
    We received our second sofa a couple of days ago, a replacement for the first sofa (Stafford range) that they agreed to take back for the same reason as others on here, sagging puddling leather, thing is we hadnít even sat on it, was sagging when it arrived. Told us to also plump up the cushions etc, told them we know our rights so gave the usual spiel about what our rights are under the consumer rights act. We also called the finance company who were really helpful, they also contacted Sofology on our behalf, Sofology still tried to fob us off but persistence payed off and they agreed to replace it with a different sofa although we waited 10 weeks. The new sofa also has issues, stitching is awful, it overlaps then underlaps on nearly all the cushions, looks cheap and like they just couldnít be bothered, Ďthat will doí attitude! I mean something as basic as stitching should not be as bad as this. Have emailed them again regarding this, am waiting for a reply. Will update on here what the outcome is. Will definitely never buy from Sofology ever again.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 28th Jan 19, 1:32 PM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    britishboy
    gazb

we have exactly the same sofas from DFS (the model range is: Cassano), a 3 seater and a 2 seater, think we paid £2007 for both 10 months ago. The 3 seater both end cushions have sagged hugely, even though we only use it an hour a day, sometimes not even that. Just called DFS and they're sending a technician out tomorrow afternoon to look at it

Our sofa looks identical to yours, style, colour and sagginess too
    Last edited by britishboy; 29-01-2019 at 4:02 PM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 28th Jan 19, 3:20 PM
    • 8,331 Posts
    • 8,149 Thanks
    DoaM
    Will definitely never buy from Sofology ever again.
    Originally posted by TeresaJason
    Invoke your final right to reject ... they've had their second opportunity to supply goods that conform to contract and have still failed, so you can reject for a full refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. (Sellers are allowed a single attempt to provide a remedy, whereafter consumers are entitled to a full refund). Then take your business elsewhere.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 29th Jan 19, 3:37 PM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    britishboy
    Update for anyone interested, we bought our identical sofa from DFS last March, and 2 of the 3 seats look just as deflated. Guy came out today explained about the foam and fibre filling blah blah. Long story short, they dont offer a foam replacement for the seats, but hes going to book in the fibre and foam filling to be replaced with just foam. Not overly confident how it will turn out, but I'm giving them the benifit of the doubt for now... will keep you all updated

Intersting that DFS and Sofology are selling identical sofas, clearly bought in from a universal supplier. The technician even admitted some of their sofas are bought in from China
    Last edited by britishboy; 29-01-2019 at 4:04 PM.
    • Sstringer
    • By Sstringer 30th Jan 19, 10:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sstringer
    Sofology ongoing
    Hello I'm also a very unsatisfied customer of sofology that is caught up In I believe a unique
    Situation......here goes .the colour on our leather sofa started to come away after 2 years .i contacted sofology ,they sent a repair man around who did carry out a repair but told us that it wouldn't last .after 12months the colour started to come off again I contacted sofology ..they said there was no guarantee that a repair would solve the problem so offered £1000 to spend in store . I asked if I could have the money and spend in another store as I had no confidence in sofology ..they refused .. after months of travelling back and forth to sofology we finally reluctantly chose a corner sofa .....NOW the plot thickens the next condition was that they take the old defective sofa away ...well originally as sofologys terms and conditions state I made provisions for access of the sofa ( I had a friend in to remove a glass unit in my front window ) but 18 months later we had a completely new bay window installed ..so the situation is that they are refusing to give us a new sofa unless they can remove the old .they have told us we will have to cover the cost of the window removal which now will be the complete frame and glass of the bay window as just removing the glass panel will not create enough space to get the old one out ......my argument is if the sofa lasted I would have got rid at the end of its life ...there argument is that it's unforeseen circumstances and it's my responsibility to create an opening to get there defective goods out ..I have offered chopping the bloody thing up and getting rid of it but they have point blank refused ,,,the new/replacement is smaller and will go through the door ...I have asked why they want it back as they have stated. It's unrepairable? But get told it there policy .but I carnt see anywhere in there terms and conditions that it's the customers responsibility to make sure that defective goods can be removed in future at there cost ........please help
    • Liam6374
    • By Liam6374 7th Mar 19, 7:21 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Liam6374
    This is a delicate question and I would advise you to contact a free lawyer, he will give the right advice so that you know your rights and can easily defend them yourself or write the right complaint
    • windowsupplies
    • By windowsupplies 27th Mar 19, 10:11 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    windowsupplies
    So quick update on the Linara sagging sofa , finally had an upholster out to fit new supposedly denser foam inserts in the sofas , unfortunately these haven't made an ounce of difference , we contacted Sofology and they have sent a second Homeserve technician out to repair a stich issue after the new seats fitted , he reported that there's nothing wrong with the sofa ! Sofology now say to wait for ombudsman's decision as they done everything they need to do !!!!
    I would post pictures but not sure how or if i can but it looks the same as it did when it first sagged after a month or so , its only been 2 weeks
    Back to the drawing board looks like it will be a legal route
    Wouldn't touch sofology with a barge pole !
    • pattypower
    • By pattypower 29th Mar 19, 7:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pattypower
    Had the same problem with a sofa bought and delivered Christmas 2018. The minute we sat on it we sank. Phone and emailed Sofology and received the same customer service as everyone else on here - none. The bottom line, have now received my money back!! How? Three ways.
    1 credit card payment - When you pay by credit card you are covered by the consumer credit act, in theory the credit card company has bought the sofa as you, by paying the credit card bill, pay the credit card company. Phone or down load the form on the respective Ccard website, you will be claiming under Section 75. The form is simple to complete and I send all correspondence fro. SOfology with the claim form. C card company got in touch within days and requested an Independant report form a local upholster which I found locally, it cost 50.00 and Ccard company repaid this. I have given the sofa to a charity as now I have received the money back the Ccard company own the sofa.
    2 Debit card go to bank building soc and say you want to claim charge back. Simple.
    3 Finance Phone finance company and say you want to stop the payments
    4 Cash much harder as Sofology are obviously tighter than the products they sell.

Have now purchased a sofa from a small retailer in Harrogate, although the price was c. 4K the quality is unbelievable, English aniline leather which will last years - so, I think, worth it.
    Good luck
    • zeldah
    • By zeldah 8th Apr 19, 9:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    zeldah
    So, update on my sofa - I posted here in May last year.

Eventually, Sofology decided to send a technician to replace the inners.

They were definitely a denser foam than the existing foam. However, this didn't last very long.

Still massive "holes" from sitting on the sofa. Not only that - the leather is so irreparably stretched that even if I put a wooden board underneath, it would still look terrible!

I have now done a complaint via Resolver and quoting my consumer rights "Any sofa you buy should be of satisfactory quality, fit for the purposes specified and as described. It should also remain in good condition for a reasonable length of time without sagging, coming apart, or deterioration to the fabric. "

We loved the look of this sofa, and we're gutted that it is a total waste of money. I'm now requesting a refund and they can take their rubbish back! Unfortunately we did not purchase on credit card, but did the finance with Barclays, via Sofology.

Bit concerned though - one previous post said the Ombudsman found in their favour and they were refunded, another says that the Ombudsman sided with Sofology ... can it be appealed if the Ombudsman finds in Sofology's favour?

I know our next step will have to be the Ombudsman as Sofology are unlikely to provide any sort of decent customer service now...
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Apr 19, 9:40 PM
    • 17,796 Posts
    • 13,915 Thanks
    hollydays

They were definitely a denser foam than the existing foam. However, this didn't last very long.

Still massive "holes" from sitting on the sofa. Not only that - the leather is so irreparably stretched that even if I put a wooden board underneath, it would still look terrible!

I have now done a complaint via Resolver and quoting my consumer rights "Any sofa you buy should be of satisfactory quality, fit for the purposes specified and as described. It should also remain in good condition for a reasonable length of time without sagging, coming apart, or deterioration to the fabric. "

We loved the look of this sofa, and we're gutted that it is a total waste of money. I'm now requesting a refund and they can take their rubbish back! Unfortunately we did not purchase on credit card, but did the finance with Barclays, via Sofology.

Bit concerned though - one previous post said the Ombudsman found in their favour and they were refunded, another says that the Ombudsman sided with Sofology ... can it be appealed if the Ombudsman finds in Sofology's favour?

I know our next step will have to be the Ombudsman as Sofology are unlikely to provide any sort of decent customer service now...
    Originally posted by zeldah
    Have you spoken to the finance company?
    • windowsupplies
    • By windowsupplies 13th Apr 19, 3:41 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    windowsupplies
    Linara leather sofas

Originally posted by zeldah
    We are passed the ombudsman stage , they will not admit there's an issue as they go on the reports from Homeserve who are contracted by Sofology and in my opinion are very bias towards their employer , it also seems that the ombudsman sides with the retailers as we had an inspection by a local upholsterer who basically condemned our sofas and said the foam and toppers were cheap tack ! He wrote me a letter and a further email stating all points requested from the ombudsman but they would not accept his comments and ruled against us , complete waste of time , google the Guardian money report on the furniture ombudsman !
    We are currently pursuing the credit card company and if that fails last resort will be court !
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th Apr 19, 6:24 PM
    • 17,796 Posts
    • 13,915 Thanks
    hollydays
    Guardian article on furniture ombudsman
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/dec/16/stained-sofa-rodgers-of-york-furniture-ombudsman-small-claims-court
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,006Posts Today

6,063Users online

Martin's Twitter