I will knock you out ! BBCs Jeremy Vine films woman driver`s shocking road rage

Options

Comments

• Mohawk_3
    Options
    It's great that videos like this mean that bad drivers are sometimes held to account, but as someone thinking about taking up cycling again, it does fill me with fear!

Thankfully I live near a cycle path, so I'll stick to that.
  • interstellaflyer
    Options
    A 22 year old woman was arrested on 2nd September, charged with assault and a public order offence and bailed.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its good shes been arrested, maybe she will learn some manors when on behind the vehicle. She should have to retake a theory test again or a special theory test for driving in London.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mohawk wrote: »
    It's great that videos like this mean that bad drivers are sometimes held to account, but as someone thinking about taking up cycling again, it does fill me with fear!

Thankfully I live near a cycle path, so I'll stick to that.

It's easy to get a bad impression of cycling as frequently it's bad things that are reported and highlighted but as is often the case particularly in forums, there is a tendency for people to complain about something rather than praise it. That's not a criticism of the people here or the forum, it's just the way it tends to be hence we have a long and active thread titled 'Aren't bicycles great' to try and rebalance that.

I've been cycling regularly for over five years now and I've never had an experience as bad as the one in the video, on two occasions I've been shouted at on the road which was unpleasant but not that bad. There have been a few near misses with careless drivers but on the whole I find drivers give me space and are careful around me, in turn I do my part in return as well rather than this brutal cyclists vs cars war that the media seems to like portraying.

There's so also many positives beyond the obvious fitness benefits, I've made a lot of great friends and new social circles and when I'm feeling a bit stressed or annoyed about something, getting out on the bike for a couple of hours is an extremely effective way of clearing my head. I was debating whether to go out last week but decided not to waste the great weather and instead had a decent ride out:

20160830_194149-L.jpg
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So the 22 year-old claims that Vine pulled off the pavement, and forced her to make an 'emergency stop'? When the rear camera clearly shows her turning into the street where Vine is ALREADY cycling between the parked cars, and she takes a full 5 seconds or so to catch up on him, and only stops when he stops?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, it seems to me that, at the point he stopped and based on his forward camera, there was plenty of space for him to have pulled over.

But leading up to that there was plainly nowhere for him to allow her to pass and she was driving dangerously and using her horn incorrectly.

I don't understand why he said he needs a car's width, but it's irrelevant as there wasn't enough space to pass anyway.

Overall, though, her attitude and actions were unacceptable.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    Well, it seems to me that, at the point he stopped and based on his forward camera, there was plenty of space for him to have pulled over.

Was he obliged to, by any rule of the road?

But leading up to that there was plainly nowhere for him to allow her to pass .....

I don't understand why he said he needs a car's width ...

Surely he's suggesting that SHE would have needed a car's width to pass, and there wasn't one?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How old is the incident? Not taxed since June and not insured either.....

Got a short ban maybe or they sold it or traded it in when the story broke and the reg number got plastered everywhere?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

There was also enough room behind the driver for her to reverse back where she came from. ;)
  • Head_The_Ball
    Options

But leading up to that there was plainly nowhere for him to allow her to pass and she was driving dangerously and using her horn incorrectly.

I don't understand why he said he needs a car's width, but it's irrelevant as there wasn't enough space to pass anyway.

Overall, though, her attitude and actions were unacceptable.

Cyclists like to give parked cars a wide berth in order to avoid being injured or killed by someone opening a car door in front of them.

Motor vehicles overtaking cyclists should allow a full car width where possible for a variety of reasons that are regularly posted on here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure