Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Cross border worker
    • By Cross border worker 22nd Oct 19, 4:01 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cross border worker
    Cross border working
    • #1
    • 22nd Oct 19, 4:01 PM
    Cross border working 22nd Oct 19 at 4:01 PM
    I'm due to start working in Dundalk, Ireland in March. I will continue to live in N.Ireland and pay my bills in sterling.
    To date i have opened a southern bank account with bank of ireland, for my wages to get paid into. My plan is to transfer my wage into my N.I bank of ireland account to pay bills and to live off that money.
    Today €1=£0.85, so basically this means, my €1000 wage will only be worth £850, this is right isn't it?

    Is anyone else out there a cross border worker that works in the south of Ireland but lives in the North, that could offer up some sound advice and experience of the process? Any hints or tips that anyone has would be great.

    I believe i'll be paying tax in the south and the north at the same time, but at end of year i do a tax return to claim tax back. Is this correct? Does that mean i can be classed as self employed?

    Are there any incentives/schemes run by either government that i can avail of?

    Please forgive my ignorance on this topic, it's totally new to me.
    If anyone can offer any info at all, that would be great.

    Many thanks
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 23rd Oct 19, 1:01 PM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    • #2
    • 23rd Oct 19, 1:01 PM
    • #2
    • 23rd Oct 19, 1:01 PM
    • donkeyDragon
    • By donkeyDragon 6th Nov 19, 12:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    • #3
    • 6th Nov 19, 12:22 PM
    Cross border working
    • #3
    • 6th Nov 19, 12:22 PM

    Use Transferwise app to transfer your wages from ROI to NI banks, its probably the most cost effective way to do it.

    You will be taxed wholly in ROI, depending on the sector you work in you will likely be required to send a self assessment to HMRC every year, but the tax you pay in ROI will generally be higher than UK.

    If your married you will be taxed as a single person in ROI and will have to make a claim every year to get the married tax credit, use one of the accountants in the border regions to manage this, there are some that specialize in this field.

    If you have kids there are a whole other can of worms to be opened, but with a bit of work, it will work to your advantage.

    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 12th Nov 19, 9:41 AM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • #4
    • 12th Nov 19, 9:41 AM
    • #4
    • 12th Nov 19, 9:41 AM
    Will you be an employee or a contractor? If contracting long term, it’s worth setting up as a company in the Irish republic. The tax advantages are great.
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 12-11-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,832Posts Today

7,491Users online

Martin's Twitter