Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ImranBro
    • By ImranBro 30th Oct 19, 12:36 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 2Thanks
    ImranBro
    Out of Warranty LG TV - Argos
    • 30th Oct 19, 12:36 PM
    Out of Warranty LG TV - Argos 30th Oct 19 at 12:36 PM
    Hi,

I purchased an LG TV around 2 years ago (only came with a year warranty) and last week it developed a dark foggy patch in the top right of the TV with a very fine line (almost like a hairline crack) showing underneath it. I have to admit I did press it a little to see whether it was a crack as I couldn't feel anything and it has since spread further (the hairline crack or whatever it is).

My initial thoughts were it was a crack but on closer inspection, there's no damage anywhere to the TV and along with the dark foggy patch, it leads me to conclude it's some kind of fault.

Given that I'm out of warranty, what would the experts on here advise me to do (It was an £800 TV at the time).

Contact Argos under the consumer rights law? If so, How should I begin the approach and what are my chances of success (has anyone dealt with Argos under the consumer law)?

Many thanks,
Page 1
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 30th Oct 19, 12:43 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 30th Oct 19, 12:43 PM
    • 30th Oct 19, 12:43 PM
    As it's over six months since purchase you'll need to prove by way of an independent report that this fault was inherent from the time of manufacture.

Once you do this you can contact Argos with your report who can then decide whether they'd like to repair, replace or refund. Be aware any refund can be reduced to take into account the use you've had from the TV.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 30th Oct 19, 12:44 PM
    • 8,241 Posts
    • 8,074 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 30th Oct 19, 12:44 PM
    • 30th Oct 19, 12:44 PM
    The legal position is ... You have up to 6 years to pursue a claim for products breaching contract. Within 6 months of purchase/delivery (whichever was later) then any fault is assumed to be inherent and the seller must prove otherwise ... after 6 months the burden of responsibility switches to the consumer (to prove the fault was inherent - present but not apparent at the time of purchase). Such proof can be found by commissioning an engineer's report which finds (on the balance of probabilities) that the fault was inherent. (A seller may not require the consumer to obtain a report, but I suspect Argos will).

With an inherent fault then the seller must provide a remedy ... repair, replace, refund (their choice effectively). If they have required a report then they also must refund the (reasonable) cost of that report. Any goods more than 6 months old can be refunded pro-rata to account for time of ownership ... a 2-year-old TV at £800 would likely (at best) yield a refund of £550.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • ImranBro
    • By ImranBro 30th Oct 19, 1:25 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ImranBro
    • 30th Oct 19, 1:25 PM
    • 30th Oct 19, 1:25 PM
    Do you have any suggestions for who I might be able to use to get this report from please.

I live in London/Essex

Thank you.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 30th Oct 19, 1:31 PM
    • 35,349 Posts
    • 22,308 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 30th Oct 19, 1:31 PM
    • 30th Oct 19, 1:31 PM
    Do you have any suggestions for who I might be able to use to get this report from please.

I live in London/Essex

Thank you.
    Originally posted by ImranBro
    Find someone local.

Bound to be someone you can use.

TV repairer but ask if they do the reports.
    • ImranBro
    • By ImranBro 30th Oct 19, 2:08 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ImranBro
    • 30th Oct 19, 2:08 PM
    • 30th Oct 19, 2:08 PM
    Would it be worth just dropping Argos an email first before getting the repairer out? Or is this now a mandatory requirement.

I'm just thinking what if the repair man doesn't think it's an inherent fault.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 30th Oct 19, 2:40 PM
    • 4,941 Posts
    • 6,649 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 30th Oct 19, 2:40 PM
    • 30th Oct 19, 2:40 PM
    Would it be worth just dropping Argos an email first before getting the repairer out? Or is this now a mandatory requirement.

There's no harm in emailing them but I doubt they'll do anything.

If the repair man doesn't think it's an inherent fault, it pretty much ends there. Before you spend time and money on that inspection, are you sure you've used it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions? Some problems arise when TVs are mounted using the wrong type of mount, or have been mishandled during mounting, or have been installed over a radiator or fireplace, etc etc. There's no point paying for a report to tell you something you've done to cause the problem yourself.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 30th Oct 19, 3:03 PM
    • 7,186 Posts
    • 8,402 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 30th Oct 19, 3:03 PM
    • 30th Oct 19, 3:03 PM

Then you will simply get a bill for checking it out, and to be honest donít be surprised if he / she puts it down to impact damage because that is what it sounds like, so you will be gambling on a good outcome.
    • ImranBro
    • By ImranBro 30th Oct 19, 5:18 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ImranBro
    • 30th Oct 19, 5:18 PM
    • 30th Oct 19, 5:18 PM
    There's no harm in emailing them but I doubt they'll do anything.

If the repair man doesn't think it's an inherent fault, it pretty much ends there. Before you spend time and money on that inspection, are you sure you've used it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions? Some problems arise when TVs are mounted using the wrong type of mount, or have been mishandled during mounting, or have been installed over a radiator or fireplace, etc etc. There's no point paying for a report to tell you something you've done to cause the problem yourself.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Hi,

None of these things. It's not wall mounted and neither is it anywhere near a radiator.

There an extension lead situated behind the TV which has around 5 sockets going in and if that can generate heat then maybe that might be the cause (but I find that very unlikely), other than that nothing else and yes it's been used to the manufacturers instructions.

Thanks,
    • Al Ross
    • By Al Ross 31st Oct 19, 9:01 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    Al Ross
    The Panel (Screen) is faulty, the question would be has it suffered any impact? If not then yes it would be classed as an inherent fault.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Nov 19, 8:47 AM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Hi,

I purchased an LG TV around 2 years ago (only came with a year warranty) and last week it developed a dark foggy patch in the top right of the TV with a very fine line (almost like a hairline crack) showing underneath it. I have to admit I did press it a little to see whether it was a crack as I couldn't feel anything and it has since spread further (the hairline crack or whatever it is).

My initial thoughts were it was a crack but on closer inspection, there's no damage anywhere to the TV and along with the dark foggy patch, it leads me to conclude it's some kind of fault.

Given that I'm out of warranty, what would the experts on here advise me to do (It was an £800 TV at the time).

Contact Argos under the consumer rights law? If so, How should I begin the approach and what are my chances of success (has anyone dealt with Argos under the consumer law)?

Many thanks,
    All LED/LCD/OLED screens are made up of multiple layers so it is possible that one of the internal layers is cracked so no damage would be felt on the surface. TBH that does sound like impact damage, especially considering it's coming from a corner. I suspect that you would be throwing good money away on an inspection.
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 6th Nov 19, 12:12 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    Hi. Just a quick bit of advice... please don't allow yourself to get caught up in the use of the phrase 'inherent fault' as has been suggested. Some retailers try to evade their responsibilities by saying that you have to prove the item (in your case a TV) has an "inherent fault". This is nonsense. The Consumer Rights Act clearly states that goods must last for a reasonable time (taking into account the price paid). If an item develops a fault within six years REGARDLESS of whether or not the fault was in place at the time of purchase, then you have a case against the retailer under the CRA. If you go down the route of commissioning an independent report, you merely need that report to state that the TV "has failed in an unreasonable period of time" and that you "have not done anything to contribute to or cause the fault". While it would be handy if the report also states a fault was inherent at the time of purchase, you do not need to prove this. The problem you will face though is that retailers either deliberately or mistakenly don't want to listen - and they repeatedly pedal the phrase 'inherent fault' which then gets repeated by everyone else including consumers ad nauseam. However do bear in mind that you have had two years use out of the TV (which would have a reasonable expected life of six years), so you should expect the retailer to contribute two thirds of the repair cost, or to reimburse you two thirds of the cost of the faulty TV. In other words, you are not entitled to the full cost of repair or replacement or refund.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Nov 19, 4:04 PM
    • 12,386 Posts
    • 10,984 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi. Just a quick bit of advice... please don't allow yourself to get caught up in the use of the phrase 'inherent fault' as has been suggested. Some retailers try to evade their responsibilities by saying that you have to prove the item (in your case a TV) has an "inherent fault". This is nonsense. The Consumer Rights Act clearly states that goods must last for a reasonable time (taking into account the price paid). If an item develops a fault within six years REGARDLESS of whether or not the fault was in place at the time of purchase, then you have a case against the retailer under the CRA. If you go down the route of commissioning an independent report, you merely need that report to state that the TV "has failed in an unreasonable period of time" and that you "have not done anything to contribute to or cause the fault". While it would be handy if the report also states a fault was inherent at the time of purchase, you do not need to prove this. The problem you will face though is that retailers either deliberately or mistakenly don't want to listen - and they repeatedly pedal the phrase 'inherent fault' which then gets repeated by everyone else including consumers ad nauseam. However do bear in mind that you have had two years use out of the TV (which would have a reasonable expected life of six years), so you should expect the retailer to contribute two thirds of the repair cost, or to reimburse you two thirds of the cost of the faulty TV. In other words, you are not entitled to the full cost of repair or replacement or refund.
    Originally posted by SouthUKMan
    Where is it stated that a TV or any other item is expected to last 6 years? Many items are designed to last less than 6 years, especially TVs. The rest of your advice is also incorrect. If an inherent fault is found then the retailer can replace, repair or refund. Any repair should be done completely free of charge, but a refund can take account of the usage of an item.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 6th Nov 19, 5:03 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 6,101 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Originally posted by SouthUKMan

What a load of nonsense.
    • bris
    • By bris 6th Nov 19, 8:58 PM
    • 8,917 Posts
    • 7,823 Thanks
    bris
    What a load of nonsense.
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    But his pal down the pub told him, so it must be true...
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 6th Nov 19, 9:35 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    But his pal down the pub told him, so it must be true...
    Originally posted by bris
    ...and the guy down the Chip Shop swears he's Elvis. SouthUKMan does have a bad advice history.
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 6th Nov 19, 9:37 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    ...and guess who will be at risk of being PPR'd by MSE for pointing it out?
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 7th Nov 19, 6:18 AM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Why do people still buy TVs from places that don't offer 5 or 6 year warranties? There are plenty that do.
    If you have no joy with the consumer law route because of accidental damage then you could claim off your home insurance. There will be excess but for an £800 TV it will be worth claiming.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 7th Nov 19, 6:48 AM
    • 4,371 Posts
    • 7,611 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    Why do people still buy TVs from places that don't offer 5 or 6 year warranties? There are plenty that do.
    If you have no joy with the consumer law route because of accidental damage then you could claim off your home insurance. There will be excess but for an £800 TV it will be worth claiming.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    But this does sound like impact damage so even if it had a 20 year guarantee it would almost certainly exclude the damage in this scenario.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 7th Nov 19, 2:15 PM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    But this does sound like impact damage so even if it had a 20 year guarantee it would almost certainly exclude the damage in this scenario.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    By the by, having a free 5 year warranty is just one less hurdle meaning that the store will at least have to look into it.
    If accidental, Thatís when you claim on house insurance if you have it.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

470Posts Today

4,875Users online

Martin's Twitter