Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsBSaver
    • By MrsBSaver 6th Nov 19, 1:38 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 2Thanks
    MrsBSaver
    Mothercare Online Orders
    • 6th Nov 19, 1:38 PM
    Mothercare Online Orders 6th Nov 19 at 1:38 PM
    Hi,

I have bought an item online from Mothercare for £120 and am waiting for it to be dispatched. I paid £90 on a gift card and the remaining amount on credit card. If the item is not dispatched in time or my order is cancelled by mothercare can I claim the full amount from my credit card company. Essentially I want to make sure I won’t lose my £90 .

Thanks
Page 1
    • born again
    • By born again 6th Nov 19, 3:01 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    born again
    • 6th Nov 19, 3:01 PM
    • 6th Nov 19, 3:01 PM
    What was the item cost? I take it it was just one item? The item needs to be over £100 to be able to claim the full amount back.

What do you mean by "in time"?

A chargeback can be actioned on the £30, but to look at the other £90 it will need to be under S75.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Nov 19, 5:16 PM
    • 8,329 Posts
    • 8,145 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Nov 19, 5:16 PM
    • 6th Nov 19, 5:16 PM
    I presume the OP is meaning that as Mothercare have now gone into administration then their order is at risk ... they're concerned about becoming a creditor and so loosing some or all of their payment.

OP - if the contract is breached ... i.e. they fail to deliver, or fail to provide a full refund ... you can raise a section 75 claim against your CC provider for the whole amount (or balance of refund) - assuming £130 was the value of a single item. Your problem is that you paid £90 by gift card ... that amount of refund should normally go back to the same payment method; but a Mothercare gift card may now be worthless.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Nov 19, 5:18 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,855 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 6th Nov 19, 5:18 PM
    • 6th Nov 19, 5:18 PM
    I presume the OP is meaning that as Mothercare have now gone into administration then their order is at risk ... they're concerned about becoming a creditor and so loosing some or all of their payment.

OP - if the contract is breached ... i.e. they fail to deliver, or fail to provide a full refund ... you can raise a section 75 claim against your CC provider for the whole amount (or balance of refund) - assuming £130 was the value of a single item.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I'm no where close to even an amateur on consumer law but surely if they only paid £30 via the CC then that's all they're responsible for?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 6th Nov 19, 5:50 PM
    • 18,957 Posts
    • 23,604 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 6th Nov 19, 5:50 PM
    • 6th Nov 19, 5:50 PM
    I'm no where close to even an amateur on consumer law but surely if they only paid £30 via the CC then that's all they're responsible for?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Here is a short extract from MSE's Section 75 Refunds article:
    The law's specific on this, you get the protection for the whole cost of an item or service, even if you only pay for a part of it – even just 1p would count – on credit. The only condition is that what you're buying costs more than £100 and less than £30,000.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 6th Nov 19, 7:39 PM
    • 14,209 Posts
    • 11,379 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 6th Nov 19, 7:39 PM
    • 6th Nov 19, 7:39 PM
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    For chargeback thats the case. But s75 makes the creditor jointly & severally liable for any misrepresentation or breach of contract by the supplier.

They can potentially be liable for sums in excess of the contract price, never mind payment amount!
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Nov 19, 8:19 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 2,855 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 6th Nov 19, 8:19 PM
    • 6th Nov 19, 8:19 PM
    For chargeback thats the case. But s75 makes the creditor jointly & severally liable for any misrepresentation or breach of contract by the supplier.

They can potentially be liable for sums in excess of the contract price, never mind payment amount!
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    One of those strange but true things I guess.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,673Posts Today

6,687Users online

Martin's Twitter