Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Comments

• SJE101
    SJE101 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hello All, Just wanted to update as I had multiple conversations with Cathay Pacific refusing to pay out on my *valid* claim. They just kept saying no.

UPDATE 25 OCTOBER 2019

I had engaged Bott & Co last month as I was getting nowhere with Cathay and I live in Australia so too hard to do it myself. AND today I received a letter from Bott & Co that Cathay have agreed to pay my claim!! Well obviously I am happy to get something back that will cover my losses and our due compensation but honestly disappointed that Cathay couldn't have just given it up directly. They didn't even go to court so they know they are in the wrong!

BACKGROUND

We were delayed 12 hours on a flight with Cathay Pacific out of London to Hong Hong and missed our connecting flight (separate ticket) and had to book a new flight and hotel for the night. I did have travel insurance which covered some of the costs but not all. The reason for the delay given by Cathay was a delay in the incoming flight leaving Hong Kong due to weather (an exempt event) but that is not a valid reason as the delay was not caused by weather at my location. In addition the delay in the incoming plane was 12 hours but all other planes departing at this time were only delayed by 1-2 hours through research on flight radar.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would write to the CAA and ask WHY you had had to employ and pay for the services of Botts when you had a perfectly valid claim that Cathay persistantly denied you.
    Their, essentialy unlawful, action has cost you a considerable amount of money.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Could anybody help please I recently traveled from Birmingham to Bangkok via Doha with Qatar Airways the connecting flight from Doha to Bangkok was delayed 5hours am I entitled to compensation thanks
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What was the reason for the delay?
  • JPears
    edited 6 November 2019 at 10:51AM
    Could anybody help please I recently traveled from Birmingham to Bangkok via Doha with Qatar Airways the connecting flight from Doha to Bangkok was delayed 5hours am I entitled to compensation thanks
    Download Vauban's guide. Most, it not all, of your anwers will be there.

• Technical problems
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Technical problems
    Yes, compensation is due, although they might say no due to the flight affected being outwith the EU, but they're wrong.

For what it's worth, I just received compensation from QR today, just over two weeks since first getting in touch. Different circumstances from yours but shows they can be quick in dealing with things at times.
  • Just heard I’m getting €600 each thanks
  • SJE101 wrote: »
    Hello All, Just wanted to update as I had multiple conversations with Cathay Pacific refusing to pay out on my *valid* claim. They just kept saying no.

UPDATE 25 OCTOBER 2019

I had engaged Bott & Co last month as I was getting nowhere with Cathay and I live in Australia so too hard to do it myself. AND today I received a letter from Bott & Co that Cathay have agreed to pay my claim!! Well obviously I am happy to get something back that will cover my losses and our due compensation but honestly disappointed that Cathay couldn't have just given it up directly. They didn't even go to court so they know they are in the wrong!

BACKGROUND

We were delayed 12 hours on a flight with Cathay Pacific out of London to Hong Hong and missed our connecting flight (separate ticket) and had to book a new flight and hotel for the night. I did have travel insurance which covered some of the costs but not all. The reason for the delay given by Cathay was a delay in the incoming flight leaving Hong Kong due to weather (an exempt event) but that is not a valid reason as the delay was not caused by weather at my location. In addition the delay in the incoming plane was 12 hours but all other planes departing at this time were only delayed by 1-2 hours through research on flight radar.

UPDATE 20 NOVEMBER

Money in bank account from Bott & Co! Why oh why Cathay did you not pay up? I might ask them!
  • JPears
    And a complaint to the CAA.
    Cathay have clearly denied you compensation, unlawfuly. It has no cost you a considerable proportion of your compensation to force the money out of them when they should have paid up in the first place.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport