Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mo1960
    • By mo1960 5th Nov 19, 12:29 PM
    • 65Posts
    • 4Thanks
    mo1960
    SCS Problem
    • 5th Nov 19, 12:29 PM
    SCS Problem 5th Nov 19 at 12:29 PM
    Our new Settee and chair were delivered last Friday, really lovely and very comfortable.
    Before we purchased, my husband mentioned to the salesman we have a woodturner and was worried this would make the material furniture very dirty.
    The salesman advised us to take out the protection insurance (no surprise there) as it covers soot.
    We've now discovered the material is chenille and has to be professionally cleaned and as it's light in colour will probably require a regular clean.
    If the salesman had told us this, we would have purchased furniture in a different material.
    I have sent an email to their customer service, but haven't received a reply.
    Is it worth us using Resolver, if SCS ignore the email?
    We are paying for the furniture on interest free credit.
Page 1
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 5th Nov 19, 12:51 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 5th Nov 19, 12:51 PM
    • 5th Nov 19, 12:51 PM
    Our new Settee and chair were delivered last Friday, really lovely and very comfortable.
    Before we purchased, my husband mentioned to the salesman we have a woodturner and was worried this would make the material furniture very dirty.
    The salesman advised us to take out the protection insurance (no surprise there) as it covers soot.
    We've now discovered the material is chenille and has to be professionally cleaned and as it's light in colour will probably require a regular clean.
    If the salesman had told us this, we would have purchased furniture in a different material.
    We are paying for the furniture on interest free credit.
    Originally posted by mo1960
    I presume you mean a 'woodburner'. We have one of those - it is all sealed and no fumes/soot should ever be escaping into the room (except when opening to refuel) as that is a health hazard that could result in death.

Is your woodburner open to the room? - is it just an open fire?
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 5th Nov 19, 1:05 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    Ergates
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:05 PM
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:05 PM
    As Terry says: If your wood burner is letting soot into the room, it will also be letting carbon monoxide into the room, and you are going to die.

Not joking, not exaggerating, it *will* kill you.
    • mo1960
    • By mo1960 5th Nov 19, 1:08 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mo1960
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:08 PM
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:08 PM
    Hi Terry, thanks for your reply.
    Yes, I did mean a woodburner lol.
    It is enclosed.
    Sometimes, especially when it hasn't been used for a while, when it's first lit, we get a lot of smoke into the room.
    And we get dusty furniture, so obviously that would settle on the suite too.
    BTW, we clean often lol.
    Last edited by mo1960; 05-11-2019 at 1:10 PM.
    • mo1960
    • By mo1960 5th Nov 19, 1:10 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mo1960
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:10 PM
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:10 PM
    As Terry says: If your wood burner is letting soot into the room, it will also be letting carbon monoxide into the room, and you are going to die.

Not joking, not exaggerating, it *will* kill you.
    Originally posted by Ergates
    No, it isn't, the salesman told us the insurance covered soot.
    We have a carbon monoxide detector in the room.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 5th Nov 19, 1:14 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    Ergates
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:14 PM
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:14 PM
    No, it isn't, the salesman told us the insurance covered soot.
    We have a carbon monoxide detector in the room.
    You shouldn't be getting *any* smoke or soot into the room from a wood burner.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Nov 19, 1:19 PM
    • 11,885 Posts
    • 14,670 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:19 PM
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:19 PM
    Surely if you're knowingly buying furniture to go in a room with a dirty (sometimes) woodburner, you'd buy a dark colour and an easily-cleaned material? Salesmen will obviously be prone to downplay problems but I'd have thought that you'd need to take responsibility for finding something suitable for your own room.

No harm in using Resolver if you're looking for help in complaining to SCS but if your posting on the credit card board signifies a desire to pursue a card company then I can't see that succeeding, based on what you've said sofa ()
    • mo1960
    • By mo1960 5th Nov 19, 1:21 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mo1960
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:21 PM
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:21 PM
    We're not getting soot and the only time we get smoke, is when it hasn't been lit for a long while and then only very occasionally.
    • mo1960
    • By mo1960 5th Nov 19, 1:28 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mo1960
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:28 PM
    • 5th Nov 19, 1:28 PM
    As I've always cleaned my previous suites, I didn't realise there was material that could only be professionally cleaned.
    I apologise, I didn't realise I'd posted on the credit card board, how do I delete this please?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Nov 19, 2:01 PM
    • 4,067 Posts
    • 9,503 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    moved to Consumer Rights
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • born again
    • By born again 5th Nov 19, 2:07 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    born again
    As I've always cleaned my previous suites, I didn't realise there was material that could only be professionally cleaned.
    I apologise, I didn't realise I'd posted on the credit card board, how do I delete this please?
    So long as it is covered by their policy why does now it's cleaned matter?

TBH. If you were looking to persure this via CC. Then NO chargeback right and I could not see S75 right. Unless the ins policy does not cover the cleaning.

But if you are getting soot in such amounts that you need to clean suites etc. Then I think you need to get your wood burner serviced/ chimney swept.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 5th Nov 19, 2:49 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    rach_k
    I don't think I've ever had a proper sofa that you could wash yourself, unless you count the removable cover Ikea ones.

Didn't you see the fabric before you ordered? Even if not, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that you'll be able to wash it yourself. I would expect it to be highlighted as a feature of the fabric if you could, in the same way that carpets as sold as 'safe to bleach!'

I don't think you could reasonably expect anything from the retailer. It's not a fault of the sofa, the fabric or the salesperson, as I don't think a normal person would expect the level of dirt you're describing.

Would it not be a simpler solution just to buy some dust sheets to chuck over the furniture when you open the woodburner after it's not been used for a while? You say it doesn't happen often so shouldn't be much hassle (less hassle than washing stuff, certainly!).
    • mo1960
    • By mo1960 5th Nov 19, 2:49 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mo1960
    moved to Consumer Rights
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Thank you, very grateful
    • mo1960
    • By mo1960 5th Nov 19, 2:54 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mo1960
    So long as it is covered by their policy why does now it's cleaned matter?

TBH. If you were looking to persure this via CC. Then NO chargeback right and I could not see S75 right. Unless the ins policy does not cover the cleaning.

But if you are getting soot in such amounts that you need to clean suites etc. Then I think you need to get your wood burner serviced/ chimney swept.
    Originally posted by born again

I would have preferred a material that I could have cleaned myself, rather than get professionals to do it.

We are not getting soot at all. Chimney is swept at regular intervals.
    • mo1960
    • By mo1960 5th Nov 19, 2:59 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mo1960
    I don't think I've ever had a proper sofa that you could wash yourself, unless you count the removable cover Ikea ones.

Didn't you see the fabric before you ordered? Even if not, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that you'll be able to wash it yourself. I would expect it to be highlighted as a feature of the fabric if you could, in the same way that carpets as sold as 'safe to bleach!'

I don't think you could reasonably expect anything from the retailer. It's not a fault of the sofa, the fabric or the salesperson, as I don't think a normal person would expect the level of dirt you're describing.

Would it not be a simpler solution just to buy some dust sheets to chuck over the furniture when you open the woodburner after it's not been used for a while? You say it doesn't happen often so shouldn't be much hassle (less hassle than washing stuff, certainly!).
    Originally posted by rach_k
    Any suite I've had before this new one, I've always cleaned myself, which is why I thought this one would be the same.
    Does that make me abnormal then?
    I've already looked into getting covers to put over it.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 5th Nov 19, 3:40 PM
    • 4,949 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    We are not getting soot at all. Chimney is swept at regular intervals.
    What's the problem, then? You don't get any soot and you said that you only rarely get a little smoke. Why are the sofas a problem?
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 5th Nov 19, 4:00 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    I have a log burner and a cream sofa, soot isn't a problem. How far away from your log burner is the sofa? If you're using seasoned wood you shouldn't have a great deal of smoke.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 5th Nov 19, 8:10 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    I doubt the insurance policy is ideal for your needs. Insurances tend to cover incidences of damage etc and are often subject to an excess and a limit on the number of like claims made.

Smoke entering the room after long periods of non-firing is still an issue that needs to be resolved. It is likely linked to the 'fabric' of the flue/liner being cold but could be associated with the topography of the area where you live.

For example, living at the foot of a large hill/mountain can mean your house is subject to downward airflows (or Katabatic winds). These occasionally blow down the chimney and cause fumes/smoke to enter the room. Another issue could be if you have a cowl on the chimney that is supposed to rotate so that the opening always points downwind. If that isn't rotating correctly, you could get downdrafts when the wind is in a particular direction.

As mentioned by one poster, always used seasoned (preferably kiln dried) wood in the burner. Never use soft wood (from evergreen trees such as conifers) as these contain a lot of resin. That resin can condense from the flue gases and stick to the side of the flue, gradually narrowing its aperture. It is also prone to igniting and causing chimney fires. So, only burn seasoned hardwood.

Apologies if it sounds like I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs but you really shouldn't have flue gases entering the room. I'd see that as a far more serious issue that cleaning the sofa.
    • born again
    • By born again 5th Nov 19, 9:02 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    born again
    As I've always cleaned my previous suites,
    When you say cleaned. Just what do you mean?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Nov 19, 10:17 AM
    • 7,146 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    sheramber
    Did you mention to the salesman that you wanted to be able to clean it yourself. If not, you have no complaint against the sale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

6,620Users online

Martin's Twitter