TicketySplit feedback - official discussion

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have done this journey many times with tickets bought through the trainline.com.

If you were to buy through one of the train operating company's websites, you would save even more by avoiding the trainline's fees.

:D
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Indeed and with barriers at Newcastle you will get caught. Though I seem to remember a case where East coast dropped the extra charge made on someone who was stopping short but I think thats because the press were all over it. Not really heard of them doing so at other times though.
    A passenger is permitted to use station facilities, which doesn't constitute a break of journey. There is a pub at Newcastle station (or was, last time I was there!), for example. This is on the unpaid side of the gateline. Staff should let you through to use station facilities in the unlikely event that the ticket does not actually work the gate anyway.

However, as you say, finishing short isn't permitted. So if you then left the pub and didn't go back through the gateline, and instead exited the station, that would be a breach of the T&Cs, albeit an undetectable one, but not one we can condone of course.

The correct action as defined in the NRCoC is to charge an excess to the lowest priced ticket that does permit break of journey (e.g. the difference between the Advance and Super Off Peak Single, if the latter allows BOJ). However it is rail industry policy to allow passengers to exit without charge, unless there is evidence of an attempt to avoid the correct fare.

The Professor in the case you refer to was incorrectly charged a new Anytime ticket. This charge was, of course, dropped immediately. This was both incorrect under the NRCoC and also under the rail industry (including East Coast's) policy on the matter.

A member of EC gateline staff claimed that " Prof. Evans was always free to leave the station, just like everyone else in a similar situation" and that he asked to be issued with a ticket for publicity purposes. Another member of EC gateline staff also claimed this. However the Professor concerned disputed this claim.

Either way, whoever is telling the truth about the incident, the policy is to allow passengers to exit without charge, but the NRCoC does allow for an excess to be charged, but not a new ticket.
  • FLOPPYJOE
    Options
    Totally agree about booking direct with the normal train companies.A for instance a single Doncaster to Edinburgh on Sunday 14th December is £15.50 direct with East coast the same journey through this ticket split is £17.40p and then the trainline.con are wanting a booking fee on top of £1.50 making it £18.90.Dream on train line.com you are a rip off joke.Book the journeys directly through each train companies own website,thats the best way of saving money
  • yorkie2
    Options
    FLOPPYJOE wrote: »
    Totally agree about booking direct with the normal train companies.A for instance a single Doncaster to Edinburgh on Sunday 14th December is £15.50 direct with East coast the same journey through this ticket split is £17.40p and then the trainline.con are wanting a booking fee on top of £1.50 making it £18.90.Dream on train line.com you are a rip off joke.Book the journeys directly through each train companies own website,thats the best way of saving money
    In most cases the tickets are the same price booked with any website, except as you quite rightly say Thetrainline adds ludicrous booking fees.

In the case you cite, East Coast offer a discount of up to 11% off their own Advance fares when booked through their website. However this is an exception. Other exceptions include EMT offering £1 off their own Advance fares and TPE increase the discount for 16-25 Railcard holders from 34% off to 50% when booked through a special link on their site, again only applicable for their own Advance fares. But, in nearly all other cases, the fare will be the same....

...unless it's cheaper to "split", in which case Trainsplit will be cheaper. However at present Trainsplit cannot offer split Advance fares, nor Travelcards, but these developments are in the pipeline.
  • Nev_Shaw
    Nev_Shaw Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 September 2014 at 8:02PM
    Options
    Very good but it is cheaper using The Trainline website direct.

Tickets to London and back on TicketySplit £114.90

ON The Trainline website £96.40 using there help to use single tickets.

NEED MORE WORK....

This does not take into account the £1.50 booking fee and therefore cost even more.

This is not saving money... must try harder
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nev_Shaw wrote: »
    Tickets to London and back on TicketySplit £114.90

ON The Trainline website £96.40 using there help to use single tickets.

Pretty useless feedback if you don't say what the journey is
  • Racquetschamp
    Options
    I still think it's worth doing your own research, especially if you can be flexible with times. I got a ticket from Preston to Newcastle with 16-25 railcard down to £7.55, for a ticket which was quoted as £40 on East Coast, but I didn't use ticketysplit. This is one of the regular journeys that I book so I knew to split the ticket at Carlisle. The tool is handy for helping you find out where you could split your ticket if you don't already know, but always check yourself via the operators for the prices. It's well worth the bit of time it takes.
  • Puffin9687
    Options
    5th November: Colchester to Wakefield: 7-23 depart.
    £14-85 via this site, with no (as expected) split available.
    £14-55 if booked via East Coast.
    I don't know what the additional booking fee is for Trainline but there is no booking fee on East Coast.
    Can get there for £8-50 on the same day using East Coast if I'm willing to travel later (13-23 depart)

So I think my best option is to use this tool (in addition to my own research) to see if there is a split available, and then book via East Coast. Depending on the total cost of my booking session I may then also get 'reward' points to go towards my next East Coast free train journey!

Conclusion: May be useful for those who don't travel regularly by train, but not so useful for those of us who do quite a lot of travelling by train, especially for our regular journeys.
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    A passenger is permitted to use station facilities, which doesn't constitute a break of journey. There is a pub at Newcastle station (or was, last time I was there!), for example. This is on the unpaid side of the gateline. Staff should let you through to use station facilities in the unlikely event that the ticket does not actually work the gate anyway.

Yes, I know that but the advance ticket they were talking about would not let them have any reason to get off the train at Newcastle given its a direct XC service from Temple meads- unless of course it was with connections.
    The Professor in the case you refer to was incorrectly charged a new Anytime ticket. This charge was, of course, dropped immediately. This was both incorrect under the NRCoC and also under the rail industry (including East Coast's) policy on the matter.

A member of EC gateline staff claimed that " Prof. Evans was always free to leave the station, just like everyone else in a similar situation" and that he asked to be issued with a ticket for publicity purposes. Another member of EC gateline staff also claimed this. However the Professor concerned disputed this claim.

Either way, whoever is telling the truth about the incident, the policy is to allow passengers to exit without charge, but the NRCoC does allow for an excess to be charged, but not a new ticket

Memory isnt pin sharp with all the details on it as was a couple of years go.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • yorkie2
    Options
    Yes, I know that but the advance ticket they were talking about would not let them have any reason to get off the train at Newcastle given its a direct XC service from Temple meads- unless of course it was with connections.
    Agreed, unless the passenger is feeling ill, it might be tricky to justify.
    Memory isnt pin sharp with all the details on it as was a couple of years go.
    I thought it felt like a couple of years ago, but amazingly it's now 4 years ago (almost to the day)! Time flies...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure