Why Don't Cyclists Use Cycle Lanes....

18910111214»

Comments

• geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Johno100 wrote: »
    I take it you mean they haven't left you room to undertake, or in the language of the cyclist "filtering on the left"?

You may also want to read up on what defines undertaking and overtaking. To do so, the person under/overtaking needs to be in a separate lane.

When done in the same lane it is known, correctly, as filtering or merging.
  • Heycock
    Heycock Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It doesn't bother me as a driver if a fellow cyclist comes up my left as long as he/she doesn't take my wing mirror off. And as long as they actually stop when they get to the red light. Sorry all you "ninjas", as a cycling motorist, red light jumping is pet hate of mine. Bad enough at traffic lights but when done at pedestrian crossings, unforgivably selfish and stupid.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just thought I'd post another crazy cycle lane for your amusement. Imagine if you weren't familiar with the junction and wanted to turn left at the roundabout...

Cycle lane begins (photo)
    Roundabout junction (photo)

In fact... imagine if you wanted to turn right... Does the ~6 metres of cycle lane really help cyclists OR drivers? Can you imagine what this junction is like in rush hour, when vehicles in the left lane are filtering onto the dual carriageway without slowing down, and vehicles in the right lane are looking to the right (away from the cycle lane) to give way?

Is the handle-bars-width lane really an improvement for cyclists...? Or is it simply a way to encourage motorists to treat cyclists as second-class citizens who can be legitimately forced off the road...?

Just another example of "why cyclists don't use cycle lanes"... :-)
  • j0nathon2
    j0nathon2 Posts: 292 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2014 at 12:50PM
    Heycock wrote: »
    Sorry all you "ninjas", as a cycling motorist, red light jumping is pet hate of mine. Bad enough at traffic lights but when done at pedestrian crossings, unforgivably selfish and stupid.

I don't know if it's a Northern thing, but I am increasingly seeing more and more cars run red lights. In the past week:

1. A bus passed through a red, the red had been on for a good 3 or 4 seconds.

2. Two cars immediately passed through a Pelican crossing once the pedestrians crossed. One of these cars was a police car (no blue lights).

3. Lots of cars run the amber or Red just as it changes.

4. Lots of cars start to creep past the Stop line when they know amber is due.

In all of the above, not only are they potentially a danger to pedestrians or themselves and other vehicles on the junction, they are a danger to the cyclist who does stop because if they haven't seen him/her stopped, they'll run into them.

I am not excusing cyclists passing red lights. It annoys me, whether I am in my car or on my bike - personally I always stop. (In fact, the only red lights I disobey are those for cyclists only when crossing a road using a cycle lane - because if there is no traffic I just cross).
    Ive been thinking about road widths.

I often do this: before I overtake, filter etc.

If the gap is too narrow, I don't pass, whether that be a cyclist, or a bus I am trying to pass - I am sure my insurance company would love to know I don't deliberately try and scrape brand new parked BMWs, it's just the roads are narrow. Any action a driver takes is deliberate surely, unless they are under some influence, in which case it's illegal?
  • Big_G_RC
    Big_G_RC Posts: 51 Forumite
    My experiences are based on cycling in the City of Lincoln, England :)

During the summer I frequently ride at 20mph averages to don't use the shared cycle paths. I prefer to be on the road matching the speeds of the cars in the city. I don't think it's very sensible to have a cyclist at 20mph passing pedestrians walking at 4mph.

Now I'm in winter training so not quite as fast, I'm using the shared cycle paths and finding people walking on the cycle section and then giving me bad looks because I don't move over.

I don't think it's very clear on which side you're suppose to ride on either. I assume you ride on the left side as the bike painted on the floor is the right way up, but loads of people are riding both sides.

The most frustrating thing I feel is having to stop to use pedestrian crossings constantly. I know there's no way around this, I'd rather just obey the traffic lights and ride on the road with some random hope of them being on green so I don't have to stop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure