Travel To Ireland - Do You Need A Passport?

Comments

• deedee1968
    deedee1968 Posts: 82 Forumite
    I am travelling to Ireland in September with Stena Line. I travelled four years ago and purchased a passport for my daughter who was only 9 months at the time to be on the safe side but i was not asked for any id.

I am going again in September and we have mislaid my 3 year olds passport. I don't want to replace it so I have contacted Stena Line and they say a birth certificate is fine.

I have a driving licence for myself as my passport has expired.

I hope they are right.

Having said that I am not sure what my mum has in the way of photo id either. Think i will get her an Irish Passport as I think they are free for over sixty fives.
  • His expired passport will be ok too.

I am travelling to dublin 31st July-3rd Aug and my passport expires late August. Would I need to re-new my passport before travelling?
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    if you check-in on-line with Ryanair you'll need a valid passport now.
  • DrScotsman
    DrScotsman Posts: 996 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you can read, this service is completely unnecessary. The instructions are actually very clear, and if you're generally a wits-about-you person it's best to follow the MSE route and not pay the extra fee. IMO, of course ;)

I'm pretty sure someone I know had it checked including his photo, and then got it rejected because his glasses' frames were covering his eyes or something like that. I think having the check done lets you claim back all monies wasted, yeah?

I'm not saying whether or not you SHOULD pay the £7, but if someone who's paid to do it gets it wrong...:p
  • crankydame
    crankydame Posts: 20 Forumite
    His expired passport will be ok too.
    I think you will find you can only use an expired passport for two years - certainly is the case with FLYBE (just checked this point with them yesterday for my parents who are flying from scotland to england. I have travelled by air to north and south of ireland on my driving licence loads of times - funnily enough the first time I used my driving licence was because my passport had expired by 5 months and easyjet would not accept it as ID - luckily I had my driving licence with me so perhaps it does depend on the airline?
  • lemmylemmy wrote: »
    My partner's passport has expired and we need to fly from London to Dublin next week. I'm told you can travel with a photo ID like a driving licence, instead of a passport, but I need to double check. Anybody know for sure about this?

I do travel to Ireland quite a bit, and know a bit about this rule.
    The general rule is that:
    Travel within the UK and Ireland (north/south) you need to produce proof of identity. This does NOT have to be a passport. It could be a valid driving licence / student id / national id card etc so long as their is a valid photo on the id card.

However, you WILL need to check with your Airline, as they may have their own rules. I travel with Aerlingus and Ryanair.

With Ryanair, you DO need a passport as of form a id. The following was taken from their website:

Are driving licences accepted as a travel document on Ryanair flights?

A valid driving licence with photo is an accepted travel document on domestic flights but can only be used if checking in at the airport. A driving licence is NOT accepted when using online check-in
    PLEASE NOTE – passengers making new bookings from the 20th May 2009 onwards will no longer be able to select to check-in at the airport and therefore will be unable to book flights and use their driving licence as photo-id.
    From the 1st October 2009 driving licences will NO LONGER be an acceptable travel document on Ryanair flights

----

With Aerlingus, you only need a valid form of id. I have taken the following from their website
    Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
    • Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
      • Valid Passport
      • Drivers licence with photo
      • International student card
      • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
      • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
      • Bus pass with photo
      • Work ID with photo
    • Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    • Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

If you are travelling with any other airline, it is recommended that you check with the airline.
  • My sister was due to go to Derry next week but Ryan Air have said they now only accept passports. The problem being her partner and daughter don't have one. She's been told she can't get a refund.

Could anyone give me an idea where she stands on this and if Ryan Air are just being stubborn with regards to both the passport issue and/or refund.

Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Chrisj wrote: »
    My sister was due to go to Derry next week but Ryan Air have said they now only accept passports. The problem being her partner and daughter don't have one. She's been told she can't get a refund.

It's been plastered all over the Ryanair site for months that they were ceasing to accept driving licences as valid photo identification.
    Could anyone give me an idea where she stands on this and if Ryan Air are just being stubborn with regards to both the passport issue and/or refund.

She doesn't stand anywhere. Ryanair make it clear that they only accept passports and that it's the passenger's obligation to ensure that they have valid passports for the trip. They're also entitled to demand that a passenger has a passport or valid national ID card for travelling. Ironically, if the UK had national ID cards, then there wouldn't be a problem!

She'll be able to claim back any taxes paid, subject to an administration fee.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • when people say driveing license can it be a provitional because thats got my picture on ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure