PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

End of tenancy and garden

Hi
I moved into my currently property in late October, 2016

On the inventory it states the garden to be clean, tidy and weed free, which in October it was.
Now, I'm having to leave as have been issued with a sec 21 as LL has sold property (huge thanks to people on here for helping me with that, but that's another story)

The garden is now, and was last summer, full of mares tail, which is impossible to keep down or clear- clear it one day and its back the next:mad:

Will i risk a loss of my deposit as the garden was clear when i moved in?
The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(

Comments

• walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What have the inspections said about the garden (assuming it happened)?
  • walwyn1978 wrote: »
    What have the inspections said about the garden (assuming it happened)?
    No inspections as such, just occasional, friendly visits from LL and no mention of garden.
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 July 2018 at 11:00PM
    In theory you could have the cost of a gardener to deal with the mares tail (whatever that is!), since you should leave the garden as it was at the start, subject of course to any change of season.

But if the LL has sold the property he may not care too much and leave it to the new owner to sort out. Who knows?
  • I'll do my best to leave it as i found it then. :)

If i soak it in weedkiller the day before i move out, and it then takes 3 days before they inspect the property, i might have a fight on my hands as it'll have grown back.:(

I'll take photos and add some internet quotes about Mares tail ( its very invasive and quick growing)

Thank you x
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Need to dig out as much of the root as you can when weeding. Can be controlled. Just takes patience and committment during the growing season.
  • I'll do my best to leave it as i found it then. :)

If i soak it in weedkiller the day before i move out, and it then takes 3 days before they inspect the property, i might have a fight on my hands as it'll have grown back.:(

I'll take photos and add some internet quotes about Mares tail ( its very invasive and quick growing)

Thank you x

Don't bother with the weedkiller - it won't work. Marestail has a tough outer coating that will not soak up the weedkiller. Pull it by hand that is really all you can do.

The damn plant is prehistoric and really hard to get rid off. I have been eradicating it from my garden since 2005 (by pulling / digging-up). I reckon another few years and it will almost be gone. The roots go down very far.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The weed is endemic to certain locations, so it was there when you took up the tenancy, just not actively growing.

Ordinary weedkillers won't touch it; the only product that does is expensive and only available to you over the internet. It will still probably take some time to be effective.

Your best defence is that it was always there. Pull it up before inspection and cross your fingers.

Edit: Spider you may be organic or averse to spending large sums on the garden, but if those don't apply, then Kurtail from Progreen is worth a look.
  • Davesnave wrote: »

Edit: Spider you may be organic or averse to spending large sums on the garden, but if those don't apply, then Kurtail from Progreen is worth a look.

Thanks.

I don't like using chemicals, but in desperation a few years ago I tried Kurtail - it didn't really work :(.

Consistently pulling by hand has been the best method (but it has taken years).
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 July 2018 at 8:29AM
    Can't you strim it down just before you leave?

Edit - just googled it and it's popped up in my garden.:eek: Didn't know what it was. Time to start digging.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure