PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Refund of Stamp Duty

mrsbun2002
mrsbun2002 Posts: 27 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 23 January 2019 at 5:31PM in House buying, renting & selling
I resurrected this old thread and added more info at the end. I'd really appreciate some advise if you can please.

Hello. We own 2 properties in Scotland. Our original home which we rented out when we moved into a house we renovated, and now the renovated home is rented out as my husband accepted a move to England within his company. Moving in August 2016, we had to pay the surcharge stamp duty, and paid £7,500. This hit hard as we hadn't budgeted for that when the company moved (and paid for) our rented accommodation in January 2016, as we assumed it would be about £1,500 when we found a property to buy later in the year.

Anyway, the job isn't working out, and it looks as though we will have to move if he loses his job. We would need to downsize. Because our son goes to a special school, we are considering remaining in the area, and keeping our houses up north with our tenants as income.

My question is, if we sell our current (main) home, would we receive any discount on the stamp duty as we've only had the mortgage about 9 months? We appreciate that if we move we'd need to pay stamp duty on any new cheaper property. Of course, we'll also lose money if we surrender the mortgage early :( I have had a look at all the info I can find, but can't find anything that outlines what happens if you sell the home you've just recently purchased.

I'm just trying to find all the options. Thank you for reading.
Save
Save

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mrsbun2002 wrote: »
    I have had a look at all the info I can find, but can't find anything that outlines what happens if you sell the home you've just recently purchased.
    That's because the period you've owned it is irrelevant. Buy it one day and sell it the next and you'll still need to pay the full amount.

(Note to everyone: we're in Scotland so talking here about Land & Buildings Transaction Tax rather than SDLT)
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    On the plus side you will not pay the SDLT surcharge on your next property as you will be replacing your main residence (assuming you don't decide to keep it again).
  • mrsbun2002
    Thank you, I had assumed we'd have to pay it again, so that's a bonus ....... of sorts :)
  • TartanSaver
    TartanSaver Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You're asking about the Additional Dwelling Supplement on Land and Buildings Transaction Tax in Scotland, and the short answer is "maybe."

In any scenario where, after the end of the day that is the effective date for the next main residence purchase transaction;
    (a) the buyer sells a dwelling which was their main residence at any time during the 18 month period ending with the day that is the effective date of the next main residence purchase transaction, and
    (b) the sale of that previous main residence is within a period of 18 months beginning with the day after the day that is the effective date of the next main residence purchase transaction then
    a repayment of the ADS may be claimed.

If that's a little confusing, here's what we need to know:
    a) When did you last live in the property you describe as your "main" residence? (Someone else currently pays you money to rent it, so it certainly isn't your main residence now.)
    b) When anticipate you will buy the new house? (This is completion date.)
    c) When do you anticipate selling the old one?

If a) and b) are more than 18 months apart, you won't get a refund. If c) is more than 18 months after b), you won't get a refund.

You've suggested you bought the house in August 2016, but then said you moved to England in January 2016, which doesn't make sense. Did you mean you moved in 2017? The critical date would be when you stopped actually living in the house. Full details at this link:

https://www.revenue.scot/land-buildings-transaction-tax/guidance/lbtt-legislation-guidance/lbtt10001-lbtt-additional-dwelli-5
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tartan, the OP implies that they have purchased and paid SDLT surcharge in England because they retained two previous residences in Scotland.

Hence the only way they will reclaim that surcharge is if they sell the previous residence in Scotland within the time window (which they are not proposing to do).
  • TartanSaver
    TartanSaver Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Then aye, what you said.
  • mrsbun2002
    anselld wrote: »
    Tartan, the OP implies that they have purchased and paid SDLT surcharge in England because they retained two previous residences in Scotland.

Hence the only way they will reclaim that surcharge is if they sell the previous residence in Scotland within the time window (which they are not proposing to do).

The above is correct, thank you anselld.

TartanSaver -You've suggested you bought the house in August 2016, but then said you moved to England in January 2016, which doesn't make sense. Did you mean you moved in 2017?

My husbands company moved us into rented accomodation in January 2016, paying the rent for 6 months, allowing us time to get to know the area and buy/rent a property of our choosing. We purchased a house in August 2016, paying one months rent at the company's rented accomodation as we were there 7 months.

I believe I'm correct in saying (reading what's been stated here and the links kindly posted) that if we do indeed decided to sell our new home in England, regardless of where we move to next, we will not get a refund of our £7,500 but will not have to pay another surcharge either.

Thank you for your replies :)
    Save
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 May 2017 at 9:31AM
    mrsbun2002 wrote: »
    I believe I'm correct in saying (reading what's been stated here and the links kindly posted) that if we do indeed decided to sell our new home in England, regardless of where we move to next, we will not get a refund of our £7,500 but will not have to pay another surcharge either.
    correct

selling the English property which is now your main home and buying a new main home elsewhere would not incur the higher rate as it would be a direct replacement of your current home without you having owned an intervening property

your chance to get a refund on the higher rate paid when originally purchasing the English property is lost as you do not intend to sell the Scottish ex home before you purchase a new home to replace the current English one. Therefore, you would own an intervening property between the original Scottish, the "old" English, and the new home which would therefore mean the original Scottish is no longer the "home" which is being replaced, it is instead the "old" English one which qualifies as the replaceable property as that is the "intervening" property which breaks the chain in respect of replacement of the "original" Scottish one

Furthermore, there is also the applicable timescale for making that replacement
  • I wasn't sure if this link would still be here!

We are now in a position to move from England, and are actually going back to Scotland and not remaining in England as I stated in my original post. However, we are not moving back to one of our original 2 homes, but to a new home in a new area of Scotland (work related, new job).

Does anyone know if the statement above still applies? I'm sure that we are not entitled to a refund of the surcharge, but more importantly that we will not have to pay another surcharge either?

Thanks for reading :-)
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    The basic principle is that if you are swapping one main residence for another main residence, (even if you have additional rental properties) you still pay Stamp Duty (LBTT) at the usual residential rates, but not the Additional Dwelling Supplement (3%). Your solicitor should be able to explain to you what the position is in your circumstances.
    You can use the online calculators to work out approx how much LBTT you will have to pay:
    https://www.revenue.scot/land-buildings-transaction-tax/tax-calculators
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport