The London Mint Office - scam?

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    well, if they continue to take people's money it won't do any harm if the thread continues to pop up; hopefully someone will read it who otherwise wouldn't.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • MSE_Jenny
    MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A BBC journalist is researching this scam, and is keen to speak to people who've been affected. If you'd like to speak to him, please private message me your name and contact number.

Thanks

Jenny
  • Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has actually stood up to them, and their solicitors, debt collectors etc, and said forget it I'm not paying, take me to court if you want to. I'd love to know what stance they took and if they bothered to progress further.

If we start to learn together that they just threat and never follow up on it maybe more people will stand up to them, and far less people will feel that they "have" to pay...

Thanks
    Gerald
  • I rang Consumer Direct on 0845 4040506 (the number was given to me by Citizens Advice) I spoke to Douglas, he took all my details, advised me what to do and said he was passing on my complaint to Trading Standards. Therefore, please phone Consumer Direct immediately.
  • Is this company back again under the guise of Coronation Coin?

Just saw the advert on Sky News and I recognised the stench straight away.
  • iantoday
    iantoday Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2013 at 4:29PM
    I have just purchased from the London Mint and I am happy with the coin not as investment as I'm sure it's not worth a huge amount, but it's good quality and a very unusual size - 88mm diameter. I have purchased (at the introductory price of £100) because of what it represents - the disconnection of the U.S. dollar from the gold standard.

Having said that, with my payment I am clearly telling them not to send me any more coins without my expressed permission and to remove me from their databases in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

I'm glad I found this thread so as to anticipate further coins arriving which will be returned along with a legal threat as they have now already received my request for no coins or promotional information.
  • iantoday wrote: »
    I have just purchased from the London Mint and I am happy with the coin not as investment as I'm sure it's not worth a huge amount, but it's good quality and a very unusual size - 88mm diameter. I have purchased (at the introductory price of £100) because of what it represents - the disconnection of the U.S. dollar from the gold standard.

Having said that, with my payment I am clearly telling them not to send me any more coins without my expressed permission and to remove me from their databases in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

I'm glad I found this thread so as to anticipate further coins arriving which will be returned along with a legal threat as they have now already received my request for no coins or promotional information.

Slight tip for you - the coins aren't worth anything, so if you think you've got an investment or a bargain there, you're sadly, sorely mistaken.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I think there should be a sticky on the London Mint office - they seem to pop up all the time! they are still advertising their wares on tv! Thing is, they aren't actually doing anything illegal!
    its just that they charge inflated prices for coins which are worthless - and real collectors know that! Joe Public gets caught because the name sounds so much like the real Mint!
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    They just prey on people who should not be allowed near a laptop or telephone..For their own sakes.
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The previous owners of this house moved out 12 years ago and we still sometimes receive post for them from The London Mint.

I don't think I need say anything else. Apart from the fact the coins are worthless :D
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback