PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• catnap53
    catnap53 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks angelnikki for deputising, and good idea for the recipe links. Will save us all a lot of time (hope it isn't too time consuming for you)

Have started well with nothing spent so far. Must check stores though to try to meal plan, keep leaving it.

Just had hm bread rolls and fruit scones straight from the oven for lunch, so feeling virtuous at the moment.

Good luck everyone.

Zzzz
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    YAY!!!! Julys thread up and running THANK YOU SO MUCH ANGEL NIKKI and a thread thing to recipes you clever thing!
    Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • dsljfreeman
    dsljfreeman Posts: 243 Forumite
    Hi All

I'm still reading through the June challenge but thought I'd start the July challenge, as this is my first month doing the challenge and I have no idea how much we spend, I'll put down £250 and see how we go, there are 2 adults, 2 sprogs (5 + 6m) and a cat and dog.

My daughter is weaning so not a lot of expense there and my son and hubby eats like birds.

Thank you for all the tips and advise I've read so far, I'm keeping a notebook with all my moneysaving thingymajigs in so will be adding to it frequently.

Please bear with me while I pick up the lingo :o

Laura xx
    :j Bankrupt 6th October 2009 :j
    :beer: To a Debt-free Future :beer:
  • jediteacher
    jediteacher Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Thanks angelnikki (sp?) for the links. I am very excited to start this challenge. :j My husband is dubious and thinks I'm wasting my time! However, this has just inspired me to knuckle down and sort out our money usage.

The £250 is for two adults and one 18 month old.

I've invested in a breadmaker as alot of people really recommend them. Used my birthday money so I'm not including that in my spend.

Will officially start the challenge on Tuesday 1st July.

Many thanks to you all for the inspiration to get going on this challenge. :A
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • queenpig
    queenpig Posts: 419 Forumite
    Put me down for £235.00 this month see how I do.
    Grocery Challenge. £400. - £35.22 + £19.80 + £109.01 = £164.03
    Other spends (Clothes Luxuries etc)£11.97 + £1.19 + £7.36 + £69.00 + £38.50 + £5.50 + £23.00 +£2.00 = £158.52:shocked::sad:
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Oooh I love a shiny new thread:j

Welcome to all the newbies including my own DD who has managed to post before me:eek: .

Will come back on Monday when I finish on the June GC, good luck everyone.
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    yer hopefully im on the 1st page if not nearly lol nsd cant be bothered to go out :rotfl: so all good here hope your all good xxx

edit: yay!! 1st time ever :rotfl: xx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    AFTERNOON ALL,

My budget is 425 euros as I have 3 weeks of guests 5 in each family and a 3 day overlap!!!!!!!!!

Have planned menus but will tweak several times and cut costs along the way.I family has a long list of stuff they are coming with which includes - sugarfree squash
    jaffa cakes
    jelly
    noodles
    savoury rice
    mango chutney
    batter mix
    strong cheese
    salad cream
    yeast
    chicken cupasoup
    hp sauce
    t bags

So every little helps,I also have abox of jars that I bought while in the uk that they will transport in their car to here rather than OH having to pay for a case when he only needs hand luggage for a weekend.

Made houmous today very successfully and I am going to make MRSM's Marmite n Cheese Twists tomorrow and change half to pizza flavoured with tomato paste and pizza seasoning for a BBQ.

Checked the drinks cupboard and have 18 can beer,8 bottles beer,7 bottles wine,1 x Jack Daniels,1 X Gin,3 x sparkly stuff pamchagne,2 x water with gas,3 cartons sangria,3 cartons win to make sangria,few odd tins of fizzy pop.

My collection of jamjars is coming along nicely I will have about 10 by the end of the week so may do 5 onion marmalade and 5 orange and lemon marmalade we'll see.

Will update my new siggie and keep up to date.

Luck everyone

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    My lovely neighbour has jsut brought me a food parcel as they are driving home later it includes -

8oz wafer ham
    Fresh Spinach & Ricotta pasta
    Philly cheese n chives
    1 x bag spaghetti
    1 x bag tagillatelli
    1 x family bag crisps
    1 x tube pringles
    1 x jar jam
    12 individual jams
    1 x honey
    1 x onion chutney
    1 x jar marmalade

Lovely,lovely.I have been sending little tasters of all my Twinks,houmous and also cakes and quiche so its pro quo I think.

Have a lovely piece of beef in a garlic,herb and olive oil marinade to BBQ tonight and a salad with apple,cheezy pizza,houmous,alioli and crudities.Beef was 7.45 euros and its massive.You would pay more in some places for a burger!!!

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • LittleOne83
    LittleOne83 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've tried doing this before and fell flat on my face and half way through the month gave up.

But I'm back to try again. Please put me down for £80 for the month. I've already got the money...going to put it in little envelopes and only use that....I will not use my debit card.
    Just watch me mess it up again!
    Trying to remain debt free!
    Sept GC £24.10/£200
    Weekly spend £0/£50
    Sealed pot £3.15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts