Recommendations Please

2»

Comments

• Thanks Neil, strangely enough I have just been on uSwitch before coming back here and they have (uSwitch exclusive) SIM only deal with Plusnet as recommended deal (limited time offer) and this gives the following for £10 per month:

Unlimited minutes and texts
    5 GB data
    Roaming in 52 countries appears to be included

Was just coming back to ask peoples views on both Plusnet and EE if anyone would care to share? Also curious if this is just a one month rolling deal?

Deal link below:

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim_only_deal/340d8f412814e8981f15069f5131048b11d0837e/
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well plusnet use the EE since they are of the same compnay/group.

Samsung phones run on Android or maybe an altered version once Samsung have changed it and its pretty the same as Huawei, HTC etc as they run on Android.
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Talking about sim only I was advised to buy phone outright and do sim only I have always been with o2
    My date for change without penalty is 23/9 tomorrow
    I spoke to o2 and the shop said that if I asked for PAC they would probably offer me a better deal To have 500mb 500 mins and unlimited texts their price was £13 50 but I can have this amount for £6;to retain my business
    So it would be worth asking Vodaphone You would need to speak to retention
    I was able to chose this as an.option when I rang the O2 no
    Currently I have 300mb 300 mins and unlimited texts This has been more than enough for me currently
    Sue
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Asking for the PAC always concentrates their minds on retaining you, however it depends how profitable the company sees your business as to how hard they fight to retain your custom. Many people seem to be reporting poor Vf retention offers currently, though it's difficolt to see if that's across the board.
  • jopov
    jopov Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was out of contract and fancied a high end phone so ordered a Galaxy Note 8 direct from Samsung. It came a week ago and is dreadful and faulty. It's going back BUT Samsung techies told me that a very much cheaper option is the newer J5 (2017 model NOT the 2016) which is still a high end phone. Bought one unlocked from carphone warehouse for £239 (only £200 if bought with a known brand contract). It's a better phone than my son's Galaxy S6 and is up to date with fingerprint scanning etc. I saved over £600 by taking the Samsung staff advice. I then bought a £9 a month contract sim which gives me 4g of data, unlimited texts and 600 mins of talk time.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Murielson wrote: »
    Was just coming back to ask peoples views on both Plusnet and EE if anyone would care to share? Also curious if this is just a one month rolling deal?

Plusnet don't support short codes (4 to 6 digit numbers), so don't go PlusNet if that matters to you.

EE have a poor reputation for customer service.
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,294 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Myself and my husband both have Tesco Mobile phones and have been with them for nearly 6 years now. Tesco have a wide range of different phones and prices - so they are worth a look.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• If you go with Tesco, line rental is cheaper and if you have add a second phone then they will give you an increase in either minutes, texts or MB on the first phone.

Unused minutes/MBs are surely where the phone companies make their money, and how many people just their phone for the sake of it anyway?
  • jopov wrote: »
    I was out of contract and fancied a high end phone so ordered a Galaxy Note 8 direct from Samsung. It came a week ago and is dreadful and faulty. It's going back BUT Samsung techies told me that a very much cheaper option is the newer J5 (2017 model NOT the 2016) which is still a high end phone. Bought one unlocked from carphone warehouse for £239 (only £200 if bought with a known brand contract). It's a better phone than my son's Galaxy S6 and is up to date with fingerprint scanning etc. I saved over £600 by taking the Samsung staff advice. I then bought a £9 a month contract sim which gives me 4g of data, unlimited texts and 600 mins of talk time.

Interesting as the J5 2017 is what I was offered on current contract at £30.50 per month for 24 months. It's what really set me off looking at what is out there and certainly now looking at SIM only for no more than £10 per year which gives me at least £240 for a handset (based on my current contract) for a handset if needed. Or £480 across full duration of contract!!
  • mgfvvc wrote: »
    Plusnet don't support short codes (4 to 6 digit numbers), so don't go PlusNet if that matters to you.

EE have a poor reputation for customer service.

Forgive my thickness but what does this short code mean?

My Vodafone number is 07776 xxxxxx so assume not applicable and able to port?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure